Not connected, Your IP: 54.91.51.101
Aegisprotection

ANSWERED Eddie can't install TAP device driver - Problem unsolved

I'm trying to install Eddie v2.15.2 on my new laptop running win10 x64 v.1803 and I keep getting the following error message "an error occurred on installing the TAP device driver" and indeed no TAP is visible in the adapters folder. The driver to be installed is version 9.21.2

I've tried several suggestions which I read in the forum, such as installing the driver via Openvpn, or going to the download folder that Eddie was downloaded into and go to the tap.exe file, click it and run through its install etc but to no avail.

The strange thing is that on my old laptop, also running win10, it always installed perfectly?

Any help in solving this riddle would be much appreciated!

Hello!

When installing it manually, did you try right-clicking it and trying to install as administrator?

Note there's also a new experimental release you can try if you wish.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello LZ1,

Thanks for trying to help. I've tried to right click to install as administrator and I've tried the new 2.16.1 beta but unfortunately the result just stays the same: "an error occurred on installing the TAP device driver" 

I attached the log so you can see what's going on. I hope it triggers an idea how to solve this

Eddie_20180718_152517.txt

I'm trying to install Eddie v2.15.2 on my new laptop running win10 x64 v.1803

I run into the same "issue" as you after updating my laptop OS to 1803.

I keep getting the following error message "an error occurred on installing the TAP device driver" and indeed no TAP is visible in the adapters folder. The driver to be installed is version 9.21.2

The error I got Access Denied Error 5....even when running it as Admin.

I've tried several suggestions which I read in the forum, such as installing the driver via Openvpn, or going to the download folder that Eddie was downloaded into and go to the tap.exe file, click it and run through its install etc but to no avail.

Same here....that apparently does not work for some reason.

Any help in solving this riddle.

This is how I fixed/solved it...

tap-windows-9.9.2_3.exe.zip

File uploaded(above).

After you run that file go to This PC->Manager->Device Manager->Network Adapters.

Tap-adapters will be there "Unknown".

Right Click->Update Driver.

Go to->Network & Internet Settings->Change Adapter Setting->Now you will see them Ethernet 2 Ethernet3 etc.

Regards,

Flx

Thanks all for trying to help. @Fix the problem here was that I didn't even have an unknown adapter, just a big nothing.

The solution to the problem? Create a new temporary administrator account and install the program there.

win 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10

win 7: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13951/windows-create-user-account

I wouldn't presume to understand the logic behind this, as my normal account is also a fully fledged "Administrator" account, but it effectively solved the issue and after installing Eddie in over there without a hitch I returned to my usual account and everything worked as usual! Ah well, you always keep learning