4 replies to this topic

#1 Waterwater10

Waterwater10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

I want to try Ad-guard DNS ad blocking but I'm not sure if it's safe for me to change my DNS settings from Air's

Is there anyway I can use both?

#2 Casper31

Casper31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

I want to try Ad-guard DNS ad blocking but I'm not sure if it's safe for me to change my DNS settings from Air's

Is there anyway I can use both?

Another option to be consider,pi-hole in combination with airvpn's dns.

Point the dns request from your pi to airvpn.

https://pi-hole.net/

Btw you can use the ad-guard filter list in combi with pi-hole

Gr,Casper

xmpp.airvpn.org ; D70D4969 808093D5 ED232F8A 1764CFBC C020509B

#3 LZ1

LZ1

It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Moderators
  • 1839 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

Hello!

It's fine to use a different DNS. The most recommended one would be OpenNIC, as that's a project Air directly lends funding to.

In my opinion you could let a browser plugin like uBlock Origin do the ad-filtering, if that's the case.

By not using Air DNS, some features like the micro-routing may not work as intended though.

Do also remember to check ipleak.net on occasion. :)

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

#4 serenacat

serenacat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

And another option for Chrom* and Firefox browsers is the uMatrix addon. This provides a detailed view and blocking choices for specific websites, which are retained, and quick on/off of categories of web content. I use it to block javascript in general, unless enable particular source. Can disable autoplay videos,  or selectively allow ads and counters for favored sites. Etc.

Such detail may be overkill for some, but reduces web induced aggro and provides user power.

Page load times can be a lot faster for higher latency spots like Australia using Air Singapore, when javascript and images, as well as ad content, may need to be pulled from US etc.

The author Raymond Hill also does uBlock Origin and I use them together, he does really nice software design and development. Better user interface than NoScript.

#5 Waterwater10

Waterwater10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:34 PM

Hello!

It's fine to use a different DNS. The most recommended one would be OpenNIC, as that's a project Air directly lends funding to.

In my opinion you could let a browser plugin like uBlock Origin do the ad-filtering, if that's the case.

By not using Air DNS, some features like the micro-routing may not work as intended though.

Do also remember to check ipleak.net on occasion. :)

And another option for Chrom* and Firefox browsers is the uMatrix addon. This provides a detailed view and blocking choices for specific websites, which are retained, and quick on/off of categories of web content. I use it to block javascript in general, unless enable particular source. Can disable autoplay videos,  or selectively allow ads and counters for favored sites. Etc.

Such detail may be overkill for some, but reduces web induced aggro and provides user power.

Page load times can be a lot faster for higher latency spots like Australia using Air Singapore, when javascript and images, as well as ad content, may need to be pulled from US etc.

The author Raymond Hill also does uBlock Origin and I use them together, he does really nice software design and development. Better user interface than NoScript.

The reason I was wondering about the ad-blocking one is to remove adverts from Spotify, qhich browser plugsins wouldn't help with.