Not connected, Your IP: 3.131.110.169
nick75

ANSWERED universal AirVPN DNS IP address

Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi always connected to VPN servers that I use as a DNS resolver.

I used to use 10.4.0.1 as the address to forward requests to but I doesn't work any longer since switching to Gen2.

Is there a way @Staff can implement a universal IP address for DNS requests?

There is this post about this:

https://airvpn.org/topic/28391-proper-resolvconf-nameserver/?p=74937

It's 10.4.0.1. It is reachable from any other subnet, even in Generation 2 servers, where subnets are smaller (/24) and unique for each server, port and protocol (a modification which makes multi-homing much simpler).

But I had to add the route entry for 10.4.0.1 to go over the VPN gateway. It was not already there. After I did that I could "dig @10.4.0.1 ...".

So adding "route 10.4.0.1" to the OpenVPN config may fix that?

I use pfsense.  My setup is to pass the DNS server I want to use (10.4.0.1) to clients through DHCP and force clients to use only that DNS via firewall rules.  10.4.0.1 can be used by my clients with no additional routing setup.

There is this post about this:

https://airvpn.org/topic/28391-proper-resolvconf-nameserver/?p=74937

It's 10.4.0.1. It is reachable from any other subnet, even in Generation 2 servers, where subnets are smaller (/24) and unique for each server, port and protocol (a modification which makes multi-homing much simpler).

But I had to add the route entry for 10.4.0.1 to go over the VPN gateway. It was not already there. After I did that I could "dig @10.4.0.1 ...".

So adding "route 10.4.0.1" to the OpenVPN config may fix that?

I'll try and add a route to 10.4.0.1 and see how that goes...

I use pfsense.  My setup is to pass the DNS server I want to use (10.4.0.1) to clients through DHCP and force clients to use only that DNS via firewall rules.  10.4.0.1 can be used by my clients with no additional routing setup.

The problem is my RPi isn't the gateway

Thanks @NaDre adding the route did the trick.

by the way, 10.4.0.1 doesn't reply to pings now. that's petty Staff!

that almost drove me mad!!

by the way, 10.4.0.1 doesn't reply to pings now. that's petty Staff! ;)

10.4.0.1 must be ping-able from any subnet, if you experience this issue there's something wrong either in the server or in your connection. For a preliminary check can you please tell us the server(s) you experience this problem on?

Kind regards

by the way, 10.4.0.1 doesn't reply to pings now. that's petty Staff!

10.4.0.1 must be ping-able from any subnet, if you experience this issue there's something wrong either in the server or in your connection. For a preliminary check can you please tell us the server(s) you experience this problem on?

Kind regards

On Volans and Equuleus my LAN clients can use 10.4.0.1 as DNS server but can't ping it.

edit: I connect via IPv4.  my pfsense setup isn't IPv6.

I cannot ping 10.4.0.1 on Diphda from Windows at home or on Gianfar from a VPS running Debian stretch. I can access 10.4.0.1 for DNS resolution though.

EDIT: Both are using the "IPv4 & IPv6 (connect with IPv6)" files from the Config Generator.