Not connected, Your IP: 35.170.66.78
pacuk01

AirVPN Dropping connection and leaving vulnerable

Hi

I am totally new to all this.I have tried searching for a suitable answer but haven't found my exact cure.

My AirVPN has dropped its connection a few times leaving Utorrent still running. Is there a way to stop this security issue eg restart AirVPN or disconnect UTorrent so I am still secure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks.

I assume that is in General and activate lock at start up?

Is that all I have to do?

Many thanks.

I assume that is in General and activate lock at start up?

Is that all I have to do?

yes.  but test it by seeing if you can ping something outside your local network when not connected to VPN.  you shouldn't be able to do so.

Seems to make no difference. I went to a command prompt and pinged google and if vpn is running or not i get a reply back.

Seems to make no difference. I went to a command prompt and pinged google and if vpn is running or not i get a reply back.

You're sure the network lock is running?

Activate network lock at start up is ticked, there is apadlock to right of flag on front screen

Activate network lock at start up is ticked, there is apadlock to right of flag on front screen

well is the padlock open or closed?

Ah so in short Network lock is not currently working, so I am currently unsecure should the VPN crash

Ah so in short Network lock is not currently working, so I am currently unsecure should the VPN crash

It works if you use automatic/WPF - Firewall is NOT recommended as per Eddie for this reason.

But in the states you have told me I can still ping google when disconnected so am I protected.  So confused. Last thing I want is for AirVPN todisconnect and leave me open

But in the states you have told me I can still ping google when disconnected so am I protected.  So confused. Last thing I want is for AirVPN todisconnect and leave me open

you have to disregard what I said about pinging. I don't use the app so I didn't realize that the app by default allowed pings out even with network lock on.

prove it to yourself by trying to browse in a web browser with VPN not connected but network lock on.

you have to disregard what I said about pinging. I don't use the app so I didn't realize that the app by default allowed pings out even with network lock on.

Yes, that's a feature that has been strongly required by an overwhelming amount of users, while in older Eddie versions ICMP was blocked by default. You can anyway block ICMP as well with a click (untick "Allow ping" in "Preferences" > "Network Lock").

Kind regards

You jumped to the wrong conclusions. Network Lock works just fine, the bug affecting 2.14 (which is fixed in 2.15.2, which will be released in the next hours) affects only those users who:

- run Windows

- changed the default settings of Network Lock by explicitly forcing a not recommended option (marked as "Not Recommended")

Additionally Network Lock will prevent traffic leaks even in the event of an OpenVPN or Eddie crash. Maybe you are thinking about those "kill switches" which were claimed (incorrectly) as effective tools to prevent traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel. Forget about them, we're on a totally different level here.

It is plausible that the source of your issue is different. It's impossible to say with the information you provided, you did not even declare you exact Operating System version. You should post a system report which can provide important clues ("Logs" > life belt icon > copy all > paste in the message).

Kind regards

Hi

Sorry I didn't post my OS( Windows 10 by the way) etc.I am very new at this. But as I said I was concerned that when AirVPN crashed it left Utorrent running and I was worried about the security issue. I have only been following instructions posted. I will try what has been advised andthen get back if I still have worries.

Thanks for everyones help

Now I have tried accessing sites with AirVPN running but not connected and I agree I can't get to any websites, which is good news.

I have also had AirVPN crash completely....does this actually leave me with security issues as Utorrent is still active and if AirVPN has crashed completely then there will be no network lock on?

Now I have tried accessing sites with AirVPN running but not connected and I agree I can't get to any websites, which is good news.

I have also had AirVPN crash completely....does this actually leave me with security issues as Utorrent is still active and if AirVPN has crashed completely then there will be no network lock on?

As I understand it if the app crashes the network lock is still active because the network lock (via WFP) is only removed when the app is shut down properly.  But, you'll have to remain vigilant. 

Many thanks,

Sods law it happened when I wasn't home.  I will keep watch.

Once again many thanks for all your help

As I understand it if the app crashes the network lock is still active because the network lock (via WFP) is only removed when the app is shut down properly.

That's correct.

Kind regards