• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Frunobulax

Frunobulax

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

Hi - I apologize if this is a dumb question, or if it can be done already and I just don't know how to do it.  I have checked the settings and don't see anything like this, but I don't understand all the options.

Is it possible to change a setting somewhere so that AirVPN caches DNS lookups for a longer time?  I am of course worried about my privacy and security, but doing DNS lookups as often as AirVPN does seems a bit excessive.  I seem to spend half my time waiting for lookups, especially for sites that I use a lot, even when I just accessed them a couple minutes ago.  Does AirVPN it have to do it quite so often?  Can I tell AirVPN "only do a new hostname lookup if I haven't accessed that site in 20 minutes"?

I appreciate the solid security, and I know DNS issues can be security problems, but all the waiting is really making me frustrated and I"m start to think of not using the VPN at all..  Clearly AirVPN caches the lookups *somewhere* for *some* period of time because it doesn't literally do a lookup for each instance of the domain, say, on a web page.  Is it possible to add a user-configurable option to cache for longer?  For example, I use DuckDuckGo for searches.  And I do a LOT of searches.  But if I don't access it for a few minutes, then for every search I do I have to wait for another lookup, which can take 3-6 seconds.  Doesn't sound like much, but it's annoying when you have to wait 15 times an hour.

Thanks for any tips!