Not connected, Your IP: 44.204.24.82
ahotep

AirVPN slow after router change

Hi!

Two disclaimers right off the bat:

1. I'm not a networking/VPN expert. I have an okay understanding of the general processes involved, but not necessarily of all of the correct lingo, so please bear with me.

2. I realize there are already multiple threads in this forum about similar issues, but so far I couldn't find any solutions in any of them that have worked for me.

Now, what happened:

I have a cable connection from my ISP (Vodafone Germany) with 100 Mbps down. Up until yesterday, I always got (more or less) full speeds with and without VPN (via Eddie). I've recently switched my account from private to business. It's still the same physical line (cable) and the same bandwidth conditions (100 Mbps down). The account switch itself happened earlier this week, but I was still connected to my old router (FritzBox 6590 Cable). Afterwards, I was still getting full speeds both with and without VPN (I mention this specifically with regard to potential different throttling practices on private vs. business accounts).

However, they also sent me a new router with my new contract (oddly, it's the same model, FritzBox 6590 Cable), and told me I had to switch them out. I did this earlier today, and ever since I've been getting full speed (100 Mbps down) without VPN, but varying, considerably slower speeds with VPN. It seems to be hard-capped at 30-35 Mbps, but frequently goes down much lower, sometimes as low at 1 Mbps. I would say the overall average from all of my speed tests was somewhere between 15-25 Mbps (i.e. easily a 75% drop from my regular connection).

What I've tried so far:

- Connect to multiple different servers in multiple countries
- Tried connecting on different platforms (Mac, Ubuntu) and both wired and through Wifi (always using Eddie)
- Changed connection protocols from Automatic to UDP 443, TCP 443, and back again

- Tried with network lock enabled and disabled (for whatever it might have been worth)

So far, no significant differences with any of these changes. As soon as I disconnect Eddie, I go back up to more or less full speed. Once I reconnect, it's instantly back to 30 Mbps or (sometimes significantly) less.

Hoping to get ideas here what the problem could be. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

P.S. In light of Disclaimer #1 above, if you need logs, please also let me know which ones exactly and how to get them.