Photo
- - - - -

Astrill VPN - possible alternative while visiting China - your thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MersennePrime

MersennePrime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

I'll be in Asia for a while and most of you have heard of the Chinese efforts to monitor internet activity.

Last time I was there, I had some problems with AIR (though it's been a while so that might have changed).

Astrill was recommended to me by an acquaintance as an alternative in case of trouble but I have no experience with them.

Do you guys know more about this particular VPN service?

#2 go558a83nk

go558a83nk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

I'd get prepared to use the new tls-crypt that AirVPN offers.  If that doens't work fall back to the SSL.

#3 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7235 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

Hello!

We can gladly confirm that according to the first reports tls-crypt (only on TCP) works in China and it is faster than OpenVPN over SSL. tls-crypt with UDP also works in some networks and this is the maximum OpenVPN performance. In some other networks tls-crypt with OpenVPN in UDP does not work but not because of tls-crypt in itself, but because UDP is unconditionally blocked.

Kind regards

#4 MersennePrime

MersennePrime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

Hello!

We can gladly confirm that according to the first reports tls-crypt (only on TCP) works in China (..)

Well, that's good news. Thank you for the heads up.

#5 B3nB3n

B3nB3n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:01 AM

Just some personal experience: I am in China for a year now (and using Airvpn for the whole time). You don't need another service. Works without a problem (via SSL or tls-crypt) on windows, android and ios.

#6 MersennePrime

MersennePrime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

Thanks, B3nB3n!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Sessions: 14173 - BW: 45762 Mbit/sYour IP: 54.224.85.115Guest Access.