Not connected, Your IP: 34.228.40.212
bluesjunior

ANSWERED Question About OpenNIC Wizard?.

I have used DNS servers from the OpenNIC site since reading a post on DNS here a couple of years or so ago. I had set them to two servers at the time and then a year or so later after having connection problems I found that they were both down. Not a problem I reconnected to another two servers and have used them since but now I occasionally check out the OpenNIC site to see that they are okay. Yesterday while browsing OpenNIC I saw a link to an OpenNIC Wizard for Windows and as my OS is Win10 I thought that might be something for me. Being 68yrs old although not a complete beginner I never grew up with computers like most of you so perhaps my question is dumb but, if I install this Wizard what does it do, does it choose the best DNS server for me and apply it or does it just tell me what the best servers for me are and I have to self apply it?. I looked but could not find any sort of walkthrough/explanation so at the risk of being thought stupid I thought I would ask here instead. Thanks for any help/advice offered.

I too found that I had the same issue.  I chose servers that were closest to me and had the logging policies that I wanted.  All to often the serves would fail and I would have to find another one and change my router settings.  Im not sure about the wizard that you are referring to, as I haven't used it, however you could use one of the open nic anycast servers such as ns1.any.dns.opennic.glue .

This should always route your requests through a close server that is up.  There is however no option for you to specify logging etc..