147 replies to this topic

#141 routeninja

routeninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:53 AM

How is this on CPU load? Looking to put this on an Android TV box. Wondering what kind of speed I will get.

#142 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7704 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

How is this on CPU load? Looking to put this on an Android TV box. Wondering what kind of speed I will get.

Hello!

Eddie Android edition features OpenVPN linked against mbedTLS which is light and efficient. On the other hand, our Data Channel cipher (AES-256-GCM, but we are considering to make AES-128-GCM available) is heavy (security comes first) and OpenVPN runs in a single core. What is your box CPU exact model?

Kind regards

#143 routeninja

routeninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:12 PM

Hello!

Eddie Android edition features OpenVPN linked against mbedTLS which is light and efficient. On the other hand, our Data Channel cipher (AES-256-GCM, but we are considering to make AES-128-GCM available) is heavy (security comes first) and OpenVPN runs in a single core. What is your box CPU exact model?

Kind regards

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tanix-TX3-Mini-Smart-Android-7-1-TV-Box-S905W-2GB-RAM-DDR3-16GB-ROM-eMMC/32841900292.html

Looks like it uses this CPU:

CPU: Amlogic S905W Quad-core 64-bit

#144 keikari

keikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hi

I'm often using my phone to share network to pc via usb. And when I have Eddie running(on phone) the tethering will broke, not instantly but in 10min-4h. On desktop I get notification about "Unable to figure network" or something like that(I don't remember exact notification). To be able to connect again I need to disconnect Eddie and sometimes un-plug and re-plug phone. (This has never happened if I don't have Eddie connected.)

Here is log from phone, I believe this part is relevant to problem. I can provide more info if needed. This part of log is by searching "Tethering". 

Spoiler

And this is with search word Eddie

Spoiler

I killed Eddie with command 'pkill eddie', because the disconnect button was grey. So that is what that process died/crashed stuff in the end is about.

#145 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7704 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:23 PM

@keikari

Hello!

In general, tethering through a VPN is not allowed by Android. See also:

https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=13183

James Yonan wrote:

Android doesn't allow tethered connections to route through the VPN. This is an Android rule that applies to all VPN apps running on non-rooted devices. This is done for security, out of concern that if a malicious individual was able to get access to your tether, they could piggy back onto the VPN connection.

A better, more secure solution is to run a VPN client on the tethered machine.

If you run a rooted device, you should be able to bypass this limitation, see here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=33749904&postcount=10

but consider the security hazard mentioned by Yonan.

Kind regards

#146 keikari

keikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:46 AM

@keikari

Hello!

In general, tethering through a VPN is not allowed by Android. See also:

https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=13183

James Yonan wrote:

Android doesn't allow tethered connections to route through the VPN. This is an Android rule that applies to all VPN apps running on non-rooted devices. This is done for security, out of concern that if a malicious individual was able to get access to your tether, they could piggy back onto the VPN connection.

A better, more secure solution is to run a VPN client on the tethered machine.

If you run a rooted device, you should be able to bypass this limitation, see here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=33749904&postcount=10

but consider the security hazard mentioned by Yonan.

Kind regards

Oh, I didn't realize this because it worked for awhile(sometimes long awhile) before braking. Though now that I tested the tethering, while connected to VPN on android. It seems that it only works if I'm connected to VPN on pc too.

This is kind of an out of topic, but would this thing be possible to make work, if I somehow set only the tethering connection to run outside the VPN tunnel in android. Or is that even possible?

#147 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7704 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

This is kind of an out of topic, but would this thing be possible to make work, if I somehow set only the tethering connection to run outside the VPN tunnel in android. Or is that even possible?

Hello!

the quickest and safest solution is running the VPN client on the tethered devices. We provide five, simultaneous connection slots for each account.

Kind regards

#148 keikari

keikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 01:07 PM

Hello!

the quickest and safest solution is running the VPN client on the tethered devices. We provide five, simultaneous connection slots for each account.

Kind regards

I'm a bit out of terms but if 'tethered device = my pc'. That is how I would like to run it, but I would also like having Eddie on phone connected all the time. But if Eddie is running on phone, connection to pc fails at some point (about in 2h). 

I don't want traffic from pc to go inside the VPN on phone.

I don't actually need to have VPN on my phone, so this isn't a real problem. But anyway do you happen to know if it is possible to have tethered connection to go outside of VPN in rooted phone. Even just yes/no answer is good. And if you know what type of command or thing I should look for to figure out more, that would be great.

EDIT:

Why I can tether connection to pc via usb while connected to vpn in android, if I'm connected to vpn on pc too? If I'm not connected vpn on pc then it doesn't work (like you've told).