147 replies to this topic

#101 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7612 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

I can confirm however the excessive RAM usage. As many users have pointed out in the past about desktop Eddie's Mono dependency, you should build it as close to native as possible. It's not a big deal on desktop most of the time, but Android apps really shouldn't depend on something as fat as Mono, considering the available RAM on some phones.

Hello!

We're glad to inform you that the RAM usage will decrease dramatically in the next release. Eddie footprint in RAM will not exceed 120 MB in total ("OpenVPN for Android" footprint is about 45 MB but then you need to consider OpenVPN which is 40 MB, for a total of 85 MB).

Kind regards

#102 A556

A556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

I can confirm however the excessive RAM usage. As many users have pointed out in the past about desktop Eddie's Mono dependency, you should build it as close to native as possible. It's not a big deal on desktop most of the time, but Android apps really shouldn't depend on something as fat as Mono, considering the available RAM on some phones.

Hello!

We're glad to inform you that the RAM usage will decrease dramatically in the next release. Eddie footprint in RAM will not exceed 120 MB in total ("OpenVPN for Android" footprint is about 45 MB but then you need to consider OpenVPN which is 40 MB, for a total of 85 MB).

Kind regards

Will the next release also have IPv6 fixed and working properly?

#103 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7612 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

Will the next release also have IPv6 fixed and working properly?

Hello!

Yes, we can confirm that.

Kind regards

#104 hugomueller

hugomueller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:38 AM

In the future, Eddie will also make the "Configuration Generator" usage unnecessary.

This is what I wanted to hear :)

edit:

what about stunnel in the app?

#105 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7612 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:22 PM

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android Edition 1.0 RC3 (VC 6) has just been released.

The main changes from RC2 are an improved memory management and cleanup which considerably reduces RAM footprint, IPv6 support with AirVPN servers, and an important change aimed to increase stability.

You can see more info and details in the changelog attached to this message.

Just like RC2, Eddie 1.0 RC3 is also packaged with x86 support, as well as ARM32 and ARM64 of course.

As usual Eddie is free and open source software released under GPLv3. Check the first post in this thread for source code URL and some more details.

You can participate to the tests by joining the testing community in the Google Play Store here https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.airvpn.eddie

Alternatively, if you don't want to access (or you have no access to) the Google Play Store, the apk can be downloaded here:

https://eddie.website/repository/eddie/android/1.0rc3/org.airvpn.eddie.apk

Please keep testing and stress Eddie as much as you can! Any single report is important. Thanks so much to all the past and future testers!

Kind regards

Attached Files

#106 A556

A556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:46 PM

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that Eddie Android Edition 1.0 RC3 (VC 6) has just been released.

The main changes from RC2 are an improved memory management and cleanup which considerably reduces RAM footprint, IPv6 support with AirVPN servers, and an important change aimed to increase stability.

You can see more info and details in the changelog attached to this message.

Just like RC2, Eddie 1.0 RC3 is also packaged with x86 support, as well as ARM32 and ARM64 of course.

As usual Eddie is free and open source software released under GPLv3. Check the first post in this thread for source code URL and some more details.

You can participate to the tests by joining the testing community in the Google Play Store here https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.airvpn.eddie

Alternatively, if you don't want to access (or you have no access to) the Google Play Store, the apk will be soon available in our web site.

Please keep testing and stress Eddie as much as you can! Any single report is important. Thanks so much to all the past and future testers!

Kind regards

I can confirm that IPv6 is working. Big thanks to the development team

#107 internet_user

internet_user

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

I just try, its really fast to connect and simple. Only 1 config to pick? a list loaded config/profile to switch would be nice, also waiting full integrated with air login

icon not showing on white background
air.jpg

Edited by internet_user, 19 August 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#108 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2576 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:22 PM

RC3 now has a footprint of 75 MB in the RAM and takes a bit more than 30 MB of /data.

A few things I noticed:

• Local IP ranges seem to not be excluded from routing, disconnecting everything that was connected to such an IP when the tunnel is established. I can imagine this will definitely be added later, so it's okay.
  • RC2 and 3 force close on tapping Eddie's persistent notification. Logcat pasted, as usual.

Spoiler

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#109 redribbon

redribbon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:32 PM

I like the "pause" option in "openvpn for Android".

If someone else is interested, perhaps you could consider to implement It.

I use It instead of switch off mobile data when I need to save battery (i switch data on sometimes just to quickly check if there are mails, what's app, ...).

I also would like the speed and total data transfer stats.

Except for those 2 things, i like Eddie interface more than any other Android client

#110 keikari

keikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

I'm having problems reading log. App freezes when scrolling down. I didn't find any option to save log on file automatically. 

(I'm using phone to share network on pc and sometimes it stops working when eddie on phone is connected, so thought that maybe eddie log has something useful)

#111 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2576 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:05 PM

I'm having problems reading log. App freezes when scrolling down. I didn't find any option to save log on file.
(I'm using phone to share network on pc and sometimes it stops working when eddie on phone is connected, so thought that maybe eddie log has something useful)

You may try including a logcat instead as it captures why exactly an app crashed from a system's point of view, which services/apps were responsible, etc. Apps like SysLog can save it to storage, ready to be pasted or uploaded somewhere. This will include the whole log, though. I recommend pulling it from adb, copying what you need, but you need a bit of an eye for that. Alternatively, send the whole log to someone you can trust around here and they send you back the most relevant pieces for you to paste.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Always remember:

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#112 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7612 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

RC3 now has a footprint of 75 MB in the RAM and takes a bit more than 30 MB of /data.

Hello!

This is a good confirmation, thank you.

A few things I noticed:

• Local IP ranges seem to not be excluded from routing, disconnecting everything that was connected to such an IP when the tunnel is established. I can imagine this will definitely be added later, so it's okay.

Yes, this is planned for the future.

• RC2 and 3 force close on tapping Eddie's persistent notification. Logcat pasted, as usual.

Thank you very much, logcat will be extremely useful to our investigation.

Kind regards

#113 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7612 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:51 PM

I'm having problems reading log. App freezes when scrolling down. I didn't find any option to save log on file automatically. 

Hello!

Can you please report your exact hardware and Android version?

Kind regards

#114 keikari

keikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

Hello!

Can you please report your exact hardware and Android version?

Kind regards

Honor 4x (HiSilicon Kirin 620 -chipset version)

CPU: Octa-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53

GPU: Mali-450MP4

RAM: 2GB

(No idea is this too much or too little info)

Android 7.1.2 (AospaExtended)

(Rom I use has some missing functionality, but I don't think this is caused by it. It's otherwise stable)

In google play it says "-LogActivity can be either a ListView or WebView", does it mean I can change it some how and see if it then doesn't freeze?

Edited by keikari, 21 August 2018 - 05:55 PM.

#115 keikari

keikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

When I press share button in log section the app restarted and log got wiped(though not sure if this was just one time problem)

It works when log is shorter.

#116 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7612 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:34 PM

When I press share button in log section the app restarted and log got wiped(though not sure if this was just one time problem)

It works when log is shorter.

Hello!

Thank you for this report. Currently we can't reproduce this issue but we will keep investigating. About saving the log file, we will of course consider to implement this option.

You write "not sure if this was just one time problem". Does it mean that it does not happen regularly and you reproduce this "reset" only sometimes when you click the share button?

In google play it says "-LogActivity can be either a ListView or WebView", does it mean I can change it some how and see if it then doesn't freeze?

This is an option you can use on the source code, we're sorry if the changelog is misleading.

Kind regards

#117 A556

A556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:59 AM

Sometimes, I get a notification that says "VPN Error" from the Eddie app, but when I try to look at the logs to paste it here, the whole app crashes. Is there any other way I can produce the logs?

#118 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2576 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:29 AM

Sometimes, I get a notification that says "VPN Error" from the Eddie app, but when I try to look at the logs to paste it here, the whole app crashes. Is there any other way I can produce the logs?

Logcat.

What do you do to produce the VPN error? Do you have a weak internet connection? Are you attempting to start a game or something?

Sent via Tapatalk.

Always remember:

#119 laowai

laowai

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:51 AM

Hey gents
Nexus 6P latest Android, just a few points:

Changing networks is quite unreliable, especially compared to OpenVPN for Android
Sometimes I'll need to manually disconnect and reconnect to get packets flowing. I can't provide any stats for this but I've been using Eddie android since you released it
The constant notifications - please could you consider changing to a similar approach as OpenVPN? A small icon that changes is much better
Would it be possible to get for the above - something similar to the full win/Mac client, such that it shows traffic down/up or you can select? This way you can tell immediately if it's working.
Multiple profiles would be good, rather than needing to select one at a time

Otherwise compared to OpenVPN I have seen:

Far better battery life and presumably less CPU as the phone doesn't get as hot
Nice fast connection, though the experimental OpenVPN 3 core is equivalent

Good work and looking forward to more improvements

#120 jeuia3e9x74uxu6wk0r2u9kdos

jeuia3e9x74uxu6wk0r2u9kdos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

Once Eddie is running, tapping on Eddie's icon makes the app crashing.

With OpenVPN for Android I can get an up-time around 48-56h with multiple and frequent mobile-wifi switches with Eddie I usually get a fatal error and the connection drops (can't post logs because once I open Eddie logs122 are clean)