• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nprofit

nprofit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

When using VPN on Linux with openvpn I get 3 DNS adresses on ipleak.net. 1. AirVpn-Server Exit Ipv4, 2. AirVpn-Server Exit Ipv6 and 3. the residential address of my ISP.

Note: This is not my own home IP, but rather the one by my ISP. Should I be worried? Ipv6 is disabled.

#2 LZ1

LZ1

It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Moderators
  • 1801 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hello!

Nothing from your ISP should be showing. It's recommended you use the Air Eddie software with Network Lock enabled. Eddie is after all also just an openvpn wrapper, with benefits like Network Lock.

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

#3 nprofit

nprofit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

Hello!

Nothing from your ISP should be showing. It's recommended you use the Air Eddie software with Network Lock enabled. Eddie is after all also just an openvpn wrapper, with benefits like Network Lock.

Using the Eddie terminal client I get the same issue.

#4 nprofit

nprofit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

I think I may have found the solution. After rebooting the system, then starting eddie terminal client, I was still getting leaks at random intervals, mostly at query 6.. So, I think when it can't resolve the dns it pushes it through the ISP(?). What I did was, I restarted the systemd dns resolve (systemctl restart systemd-resolved) which seems to have fixed the issue. However, this poses a serious risk for people who are not a knowledgeable and who might be running into this issue and not recognizing it exists.

#5 nprofit

nprofit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

Further reading:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/7182

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6076

https://github.com/jonathanio/update-systemd-resolved

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226509

This can be marked as solved.

#6 LZ1

LZ1

It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Moderators
  • 1801 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

Hello!

But is that with Network Lock enabled? Enabled by -netlock I think.

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

#7 nprofit

nprofit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

Hello!

But is that with Network Lock enabled? Enabled by -netlock I think.

Yes, this was with --netlock enabled. This is a systemd issue.

#8 serenacat

serenacat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:28 PM

Reading the comments at https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/7182

does not give me confidence that the issue is cleanly "resolved" for all now and future setups. Major risk for users in Iran, Turkey, China, Russia, etc.

I run internet activities in Linux Mint in VirtualBox in Windows10, with Eddie and OpenVPN in the outer ring of W10.

Initially to get going without having to spend time with problems, but also due to some logic, I always follow the discipline of:

1. Boot W10. 2.Start Eddie and OpenVPN with Network Lock. 3. Connect to Air server. 4. Start VirtualBox. 5. Boot Linux guest.

Logically this means that Linux only sees and interacts with the secured VPN configuration. Mint handles Network Lock state changes as simple link up/down/up.

Occasional testing with ipleak, doileak etc have not shown any leakage.

Suggest this procedure as extra insurance while the systemd civil war and casualties continue.

Edit: Sorry, after reading links I got a bit brainfuzzy and thought original poster was running in a VM. I will leave my comment for that configuration, and go for my second coffee of the day. |o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Sessions: 13682 - BW: 46460 Mbit/sYour IP: 54.224.255.17Guest Access.