Not connected, Your IP: 3.230.1.23
yepper

ANSWERED Can't connect to U.S. from U.S.

Today, for the first time, I had reason to connect to the U.S. from the U.S.

I generated my country config (AirVPN_United-States_UDP-443) and loaded it into Viscosity 1.4.10 under macOS 10.6.8. But all I get is this:

KUVkKdA.jpg

I checked the AirVPN current status and the U.S. country doesn't seem all that hammered:

pC4nSAB.jpg

Any suggestions?

(Please, "You need to upgrade your OS" is off-topic, and, besides, I can connect to my regular Netherlands and Romania configs right now just fine!)

^ What can I do about it? (Pretend I'm your grandma.)

I don't know what happens with a VPN, DNS-wise, but normally (without my VPN) I point to the two Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4). I have my VPN client for all my VPN configs set to, "Enable DNS support,"  but I leave the DNS server fields blank, so I guess that means to let the VPN server decide how to handle DNS.

Can this DNS problem of which you speak cause my inability to activate my new U.S. VPN but not simultaneously pose a problem for my other VPNs?

^ What can I do about it? (Pretend I'm your grandma.)

I don't know what happens with a VPN, DNS-wise, but normally (without my VPN) I point to the two Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4). I have my VPN client for all my VPN configs set to, "Enable DNS support,"  but I leave the DNS server fields blank, so I guess that means to let the VPN server decide how to handle DNS.

Can this DNS problem of which you speak cause my inability to activate my new U.S. VPN but not simultaneously pose a problem for my other VPNs?

I can't comment much more than my guess above.  I know next to nothing about how mac and viscosity work.  If you posted a log of a connection attempt we might be able to better help you.

The Viscosity support page wrote:

Viewing the OpenVPN Log

The OpenVPN log contains all information regarding an OpenVPN connection, including extra connection details about your connection, warning messages, and error messages. If you are unable to connect, or your VPN connection drops out, you should be able to find the reason contained in the OpenVPN log.

You can view the OpenVPN Log in Viscosity like so:

Go to the Viscosity menu and open the Details window
    Make sure the correct connection is selected in the connection menu to the top-left hand corner of the screen
    Click on the Log button. This is the third button from the left.

Here is my log whenever I try to connect with my new AirVPN USA config:

Jan 31 16:39:23: Viscosity Mac 1.4.10 (1173)
Jan 31 16:39:23: Viscosity OpenVPN Engine Started
Jan 31 16:39:23: Running on Mac OS X 10.6.8
Jan 31 16:39:23: ---------
Jan 31 16:39:23: Checking reachability status of connection...
Jan 31 16:39:23: Connection is not reachable. Disconnecting.

Oh drat, that's not going to be of much help, is it?

Like I said, my other Netherlands and Romania AirVPN configs work fine today, and have been, day in and day out, for years. I don't know what to do next!

I just now generated a new config, this time for America, and it worked fine. So I generated another one for United States, but it still doesn't work; same symptoms. So now it sounds like either the generated U.S. config is bad, or else all of the servers in the U.S. are hosed. (AirVPN automatically picks the best server in a group config, right?)

I just now generated a new config, this time for America, and it worked fine. So I generated another one for United States, but it still doesn't work; same symptoms. So now it sounds like either the generated U.S. config is bad, or else all of the servers in the U.S. are hosed. (AirVPN automatically picks the best server in a group config, right?)

Resolve DNS Names in numbers on the config page (meaning instread of america.vpn.airdns.org    use    184.75.221.170)

^ Thanks for the suggestion, win8. I ask you, too, to pretend I'm your grandma. By "the config page," do you mean the AirVPN Config Generator page? Because even when I check the Advanced checkbox, I see no setting for substituting the IP address for the AirVPN DNS URL. Or do you mean to do that in my VPN client? And why do I have to do this for the country config, but not the continent config?

[sOLVED!]

Staff

01 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

Hello!

We apologize for the inconvenience, a bug in the new Configuration Generator implemented yesterday caused the issue (when you specified countries, while continent and specific servers configurations were fine).

This regression has been now fixed. You can now re-generate correct configuration files.

Kind regards
AirVPN Support Team