#61 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7457 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:03 AM

So, it's June @Staff.

How far are we from full tls-crypt and IPV6 support?

Hello!

We are very near. Now servers supporting IPv6 and tls-crypt are twelve and no specific problems are detected. We call such servers "Generation 2" servers, and you can see them in Eddie or in the Configuration Generator by selecting the proper options.

When Eddie 2.14.x reaches the stable release, we will allow some more time to get out of the experimental phase and upgrade (gradually, because it requires disconnection of all clients) every server to Generation 2.

Only a tiny amount of servers (less than 7-8) will not support IPv6 because the datacenter does not have an IPv6 infrastructure. They will support anyway tls-crypt

Kind regards

#62 amires

amires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

I have been using tls-crypt on my pfSense firewall for a while now. I have this problem that when connecting to tls-crypt supported servers gateway server
changes each time the client connets and it is not a fixed ip like 10.4.0.1 as it used to be so I can put it on my pfsense dns settings. I fixed this by
creating a custom script that creates a route to 10.4.0.1 each time vpn client connects using gateway returned from OpenVPN client. It has been working fine
until a week ago. I guess some changes has been made by AirVPN staff hence my script does not work anymore. Is there anyway to get a fixed dns ip that doesn't
change everytime a client connects?

#63 invisible2584

invisible2584

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

Please add Norvay server tls crypt 1.2

#64 Monotremata

Monotremata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:59 AM

Rad Sabik just went IPv6 in Los Angeles!!

(Theres also six others in the US now for those that wanna try it out...)

#65 5YmkoLQZ

5YmkoLQZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

So, it's June @Staff.

Hello!

We are very near. Now servers supporting IPv6 and tls-crypt are twelve and no specific problems are detected. We call such servers "Generation 2" servers, and you can see them in Eddie or in the Configuration Generator by selecting the proper options.

When Eddie 2.14.x reaches the stable release, we will allow some more time to get out of the experimental phase and upgrade (gradually, because it requires disconnection of all clients) every server to Generation 2.

Only a tiny amount of servers (less than 7-8) will not support IPv6 because the datacenter does not have an IPv6 infrastructure. They will support anyway tls-crypt

Kind regards

I'm curious - how can a datacenter of all places not have an infrastructure for a protocol that's been around for 20 years now? Are you able to list such servers or at least name and shame the providers? Maybe it's a sign of a larger problem but I'd have thought IPv6 is essential now IPv4 is depleted...

Is it even fair to call it a 'datacenter' if it can't route packets on what is the most essential fundamental layer of networking?

#66 JSD

JSD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

@ 5YmkoLQZ:

Remember that it took very long till IPv6 support became more widespread. Even many ISPs do not yet support it (are have just began). Further, it seems that for a long time, OpenVPN did not do a good job to integrate it. According to Air, Air itself had to rewrite some parts of OpenVPN code.  

#67 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7457 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:29 PM

So, it's June @Staff.

Hello!

Kind regards

I'm curious - how can a datacenter of all places not have an infrastructure for a protocol that's been around for 20 years now? Are you able to list such servers or at least name and shame the providers? Maybe it's a sign of a larger problem but I'd have thought IPv6 is essential now IPv4 is depleted...

Is it even fair to call it a 'datacenter' if it can't route packets on what is the most essential fundamental layer of networking?

Hello!

The servers which are in a datacenter without IPv6 infrastructure are Baiten, Porrima and Scheat (Lithuania) and Kitalpha (Switzerland). The company operating the Kitalpha datacenter wrote to us that IPv6 support is planned in a not too distant future.

Kind regards

#68 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7457 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

@ 5YmkoLQZ:

Remember that it took very long till IPv6 support became more widespread. Even many ISPs do not yet support it (are have just began). Further, it seems that for a long time, OpenVPN did not do a good job to integrate it. According to Air, Air itself had to rewrite some parts of OpenVPN code.  

Hello!

True. Probably the market pressure is still too low for IPv6 thorough depletion. For example, we have had (and we still have) several technical issues and blackouts with IPv6 for our tests from Italy, and our IPv6 monitoring system still detects random and frequent IPv6 blackouts in many servers in various datacenters, for example in Canada, the United Stated and the Netherlands.

Things might change as the IPv4 addresses shortage will hurt more and more, and maybe when some services will be reachable only on IPv6, but we have no idea when this will happen.  At the moment, it's plausible that for an average Internet user (and even for many advanced users) IPv4 is sufficient for any purpose.

Our care and urgency to provide full IPv6 support is based on the need to remain the most advanced VPN service and therefore satisfy the requirements of an important niche of customers who have only IPv6 access (IPv4 available only over IPv6). For them, using a VPN based on IPv4 only is not safe, or it's even impossible on some systems.

Kind regards

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Sessions: 13951 - BW: 50300 Mbit/sYour IP: 54.198.96.198Guest Access.