Not connected, Your IP: 18.189.2.122
kyrusdemnati

if i use a uk server (im in uk) am i still monitored? i want bbc iplayer access and torrents

does anyone know

if i select a uk server am i still anonymous just as if i were to pick a server from europe?  can it still be traced back to me and my isp

thanks

Hi,

First things first, a VPN can't make you anonymous, that's not its job. A VPN will keep your traffic confidential.

Whether you pick a server in the UK or somewhere else, your traffic won't be traced back to you provided that everything is set up the right way.

As for torrents, if you can, please don't choose a server in the UK. Authorities are very pro-active when it comes to torrenting and may want to seize the offending server.

Hello!

1. Counting on anonymity simply because you use this 1 product is erroneous and I'd suggest you research how this works, further .
  2. Regardless of which location you pick, they all follow the same Air standards. So in that regard there's no difference in security.
  3. It also depends on who you're thinking of. A couple of Internet ads or getting access to a Youtube song? You're fine in terms of being "traced". At least compared to some three-letter agency, then all bets are off.
  4. If you intend on torrenting, then I think it's normally recommended not to choose your own country location, just as an extra measure. But thanks to Airs micro-routing, you do NOT need to connect to UK locations to get access to UK content. But these days, access to BBC iPlayer is sketchy at best, non-existent at worst. You can check the blocked sites section of the forum for this, as it has been dealt with a lot.

So it really depends on what you're trying to do and what you mean with trace/monitored. So you may need to specify. But at least you're much better guarded against your ISP, by using Airs product.

You can check the links in the last sections of the new user guide if you wish, in the "Other Noteworthy Resources" section, if you want to read up on some things.

But I suppose if you want a really simplified answer without qualifying information, then the answer would need to be "no". With torrenting, as with anything, you need to take proper precautions. In the case of torrenting, that includes using the right settings with your torrent client to get the most out of it. You can find references to this in the guides section of the new user guide in my signature.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

yeh mainly torrenting, dont want anything coming back from my isp

i will look into the blocked uk services if it can be re routed etc

Then you just need to enable Network Lock in Airs Eddie client software and configure your torrent client correctly.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Quite a lot of the better BBC productions have escaped from the global distribution bean counter business plan, and can be appreciated using a search for bittorrent sources. So you get it from people in India or South Africa or USA or Australia or all over, without real time access to BBC streaming.

Serena found the BBC Cat Watch 3 part series using the qBittorrent Search function.

As for torrents, if you can, please don't choose a server in the UK. Authorities are very pro-active when it comes to torrenting and may want to seize the offending server.

I saw this comment and wanted to follow up - to query it.

Surely torrenting isn't an issue no matter the server or country.  Or should torrenters research the policy of the country the server is located in?

I would have thought that no logs would mean that the user is still safe. Is this not the case???

I saw this comment and wanted to follow up - to query it.

Surely torrenting isn't an issue no matter the server or country.  Or should torrenters research the policy of the country the server is located in?

I would have thought that no logs would mean that the user is still safe. Is this not the case???

As there are no logs, I think it's more about courtesy to AirVPN & the datacentre in not having to constantly deal with DMCA requests. You never know - the company Air get the servers from might think 'this client isn't worth the effort' & terminate their contract/increase the price.

NL/Belgium servers are only a few ms away from the UK so you should achieve equivalent speeds!

@b2431521: Many thanks for that clarification - that makes sense and good to know about the NL/Belgium servers. The only other thing that I was wondering was if the same applies to the odd torrent download or if we're talking about a more major torrent user - with loads of seeding???

It depends more on what you download rather than how many.

The datacentre would get more DMCA if you download 10 films from the past year (especially the lastest Star Wars one) than 100 from the 90s.

Gotcha - great - makes sense. Haven't dipped my toe in the waters of torrenting but this is good stuff for the community to know. Thanks again for sharing the info!