• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nietes

Nietes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

I also bought a years subscription, then ironically I received an email from my previous VPN supplier, PIA with their special offer...$29 for a year,

I use Air more for the product than the price and find it superior to PIA.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/special-offer

Cheaper than Airvpn but better?
Someone experience with this service

#2 jean claud

jean claud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

I also bought a years subscription, then ironically I received an email from my previous VPN supplier, PIA with their special offer...$29 for a year,

1. They say than they agree P2P but you can read in their t.o.s. that is forbidden :

"Uploading, possessing, receiving, transporting, or distributing any copyrighted, trademark, or patented content which you do not own or lack written consent or a license from the copyright owner"

2. They are based in USA

And a lot of other reasons to chose AirVpn , too numerous to be listed.

In any case prefer a "little" VPN deeply involved in Internet freedom causes than a "big" one deeply involved in business

#3 Nietes

Nietes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

Thank you, so only good to surf alone and not to download like movies en series

#4 larky

larky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

stay away from PIA. Despite their claims of no logging, it was recently discovered they do actually log in a proprietary method (via a private business record) that is not legally disclosable under US law in subponea requests for user information or in answers to questions or disclosure in marketing/advertisement, so they can legally say they "do not log" when in reality they do. In short, when PIA says they do not log they are lying about it. PIA plays lots of word and semantics games like this, any company that would lie like this to hide their actual activities is not one that can be trusted.

#5 trev

trev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:40 AM

If you read my OP carefully I clearly stated it was NOT better than AirVpn; this opinion is based on my EXPERIENCE with PIA.

#6 zhang888

zhang888

Donald Trump of IT/Security

• Moderators
  • 2146 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:13 AM

Many VPN providers try to offer multiple plans of protecting your online anonymity (!)

Not many of them give you the actual opportunity to bypass various blocks, the same

level of professional support (for free) and the same mission.

i don't personally believe that the company above can be compared to Air, not in terms

of guaranteed performance, platform support and many other things.

If PIA works good for you and the $15-20 (yearly) difference is a major factor for you, no matter

the quality and the mission and transparency behind a project like Air,  you are more than

free to get that plan.  But I always like to compare food in this case, since I came from

that industry, you are basically comparing McDonalds to an Italian restaurant here.

Just as an example, one of the founders of AirVPN is actually a lawyer for privacy rights.

And I am not getting paid for saying this.

To say things correct, AirVPN is by far not the cheapest option, even with special discounts.

But most members here know what they get for this little extra when you combine  all things taken.

Many users,  as can be seen in the realtime 24/7 graph, made their choice.

While the price might not be so competitive, the features might be worth to try.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

#7 test12

test12

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

stay away from PIA. Despite their claims of no logging, it was recently discovered they do actually log in a proprietary method (via a private business record)

Holy s* you dropped a nuke!!! Please please give me docs, links or anything confirming that PIA logs.

#8 pjnsmb

pjnsmb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

stay away from PIA. Despite their claims of no logging, it was recently discovered they do actually log in a proprietary method (via a private business record)

Holy s* you dropped a nuke!!! Please please give me docs, links or anything confirming that PIA logs.

have a look at :

https://airvpn.org/topic/23959-private-internet-access-caught-lying-about-their-no-logging-statements/?hl=%2Bprivate+%2Binternet+%2Baccess

regards

pjnsmb

#9 Nietes

Nietes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

Is most about using the forum and not about logging or not
I say that they do not log, costs too much money

Who says that Airvpn does not log o:)

#10 pj

pj

AirVPN Team

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

@larky

Hi! Really, some evidence supporting the mentioned discovery would be very appropriate and urgent, we're in a public forum...

Kind regards

#11 dellawee

dellawee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

The two reasons I finally decided on air: they had a linux client that was FOSS and they allow 20 port forwards per account. For what I wanted a VPN for air was the cheapest option because many VPN providers offer little to no port forwards unless you have the dedicated ip option which will cost $100+ a year. When I first subscribed to air I did  run into some issues with only having 3 simultaneous connections but now that they allow 5 I've not had any problems (The problem I was having was my internet connection would be interrupted for a short period of time and because I was using all 3 slots it wouldn't allow me to login until the last connection timed out). Also something to look forward to is air will be offering ipv6 by the end of this year!

#12 larky

larky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

to keep this thread from getting off topic i'll PM you.

#13 larky

larky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

@larky

Hi! Really, some evidence supporting the mentioned discovery would be very appropriate and urgent, we're in a public forum...

Kind regards

pj,

I PM'd you.

#14 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7023 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

@larky

Kind regards

pj,

I PM'd you.

@larky

We're sorry, you can't make public accusations and then refuse to provide evidence while at the same time you claim  to provide private evidence. We need evidence or, paradoxically, we will need to remove this thread from public view because it definitely looks like defamatory against PIA.

We don't need any trick of this kind, we have become leaders in Europe in our field by remaining loyal and faithful to our mission, and we will protect anyone against defamation on our forums, including our competitors of course.

To sum up: either you provide evidence, or we will be forced to move your messages to trash.

Kind regards

#15 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7023 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:17 PM

This is unfair. I already told you in PM

This is not possible, the user "Staff" does not accept Private Messages.

that waiting for jbis to put it up someplace and I told you in that PM when that happens I would post it so everyone can see it. He made the accusations, not me,

This is again false. We quote your message here below once again to prevent editing.

stay away from PIA. Despite their claims of no logging, it was recently discovered they do actually log in a proprietary method (via a private business record) that is not legally disclosable under US law in subponea requests for user information or in answers to questions or disclosure in marketing/advertisement, so they can legally say they "do not log" when in reality they do. In short, when PIA says they do not log they are lying about it. PIA plays lots of word and semantics games like this, any company that would lie like this to hide their actual activities is not one that can be trusted.

We will be waiting for the evidence of the claim but we can't wait too long.

#16 Tink

Tink

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:48 PM

PIA blocks SMTP (outgoing e-mail) traffic, so if you use an e-mail client like Thunderbird, Claws, Apple Mail, or Outlook, you won't be able to send e-mail using these apps. Webmail will work, however.

AirVPN does not block SMTP traffic, and you can send e-mail through it without any encumbrance.

#17 Nietes

Nietes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

PIA blocks SMTP (outgoing e-mail) traffic, so if you use an e-mail client like Thunderbird, Claws, Apple Mail, or Outlook, you won't be able to send e-mail using these apps. Webmail will work, however.

AirVPN does not block SMTP traffic, and you can send e-mail through it without any encumbrance.

That's all ? I use a PIA trial in addition to Air and the speed is good and they say they do not log. I do not think they lie

#18 willowbrook

willowbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

For me, superior client, up to date server statistics is all I need. I've used PIA for a year once and it "works" and it's definitely cheaper, but speeds are all over the place with no server statistics whatsoever. PIA is mentioned in a lot of places, not that it's a bad thing, but I just can't put my trust in them to improve their service in order to accommodate the demanding influx of new users. Also, it just seems like their whole marketing is geared towards the masses, "a VPN service that's affordable and guarantees privacy". As always, you get what you pay for.

#19 OmniNegro

OmniNegro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationThe Fiery Pits of Texas, USA.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:03 AM

In the past, I spent a lot of time on the PIA forums. I used their VPN, and was not dissatisfied. But in truth, once I actually tried AirVPN, I discovered it has a remarkably better client that just plainly works better by a huge factor. In addition, you have the ability to setup port forwarding that persists, and you absolutely cannot do that with PIA. (Or at least you could never when I was using them.) Add to that the DDNS setting and you do not even need to remember what port or ports you forward in most cases. You just need to remember what the DDNS entry was.

If I wanted to, I could forward port 12345 on UDP and TCP and setup a DDNS entry at example.airvpn.org so I would only have to remember example.airvpn.org to be able to reach my system behind any VPN server here. Frankly, good luck getting PIA to setup that sort of thing.

Understand. PIA is not the enemy. But I do strongly believe that AirVPN is a better service by far. Look for yourself and try the trial if you really need to see for yourself. Good day everyone.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

#20 Nietes

Nietes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

Works great here (ssl port 465) :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Sessions: 13802 - BW: 46331 Mbit/sYour IP: 54.227.104.40Guest Access.