Not connected, Your IP: 3.90.33.254
Sign in to follow this  
Waterwater10

Online storage akin to Air?

I'm looking for a reasonably priced online storage service that is akin to Air. They have no access to your files, all encrypted. All that kind of stuff.

There are plenty that "encrypt" your data, but apple also "encrypt"  iPhones, but thy have supported police in unlocking them. There are many VPN services that "don't keep logs" but they have handed over logs etc.

Any suggestions. 

What's wrong with Nextcloud/Seafile/Syncthing on your own encrypted storage VPS (can be found for about 5$/mo for 1TB)?

That way you don't only ensure that only you have access to your data, but can also customize the interface and features as you wish.

Some list of providers to consider:

https://www.lowendstorage.win

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Do not trust anyone selling the idea that "They" will encrypt your files. Just take a few seconds and do it yourself before uploading.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Let me make the case for encrypting your files yourself. First of all, absolutely no-one has ever managed to break into a Serpent, Twofish, AES triple cipher combo using HMAC SHA-512 as the Hash of choice. No, not even governments with enormous data breakers sitting around have managed that daunting task. Why? Because it was designed to not be possible before the end of the universe. Think I am kidding? Look it up. It really is not possible. If every computer in the world were slaved to the task for the rest of all your lifetime, it would still not be possible. Really. I cannot stress how serious I am about this. This is not a joke. Look it up. Read and educate yourself on the subject. Want a somewhat dated topic that will give you a great understanding of just how hard binary encryption is to break? Here is a good old read that will explain all you need to understand.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279619

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Users are invariably the weakest part of any cryptosystem. They always have been, and they always will be. Getting a human to remember a password worth using is like building a wall that is impossible to scale. It is possible to do, but once done, it is useless because no-one can remember the password when they need it and resist remembering it when they are threatened.

It occurs to me that many users here may still not understand simply binary. So let me tell you a very short story and ask you a very simple question. When AirVPN moved from 128 bit encryption to 256 bit encryption, did they double the strength of the encryption? The answer is NO. They would have doubled it by adding ONE SINGLE BIT to the strength of the encryption. Yes. You read that right. In binary, you double the number of possible combinations in a cipher every time you add one single option to it.

So when AirVPN abandoned 128 bit ciphers in favor of 256 bit ciphers, they did not just double the strength of the encryption, they multiplied it by 128.