Not connected, Your IP: 18.224.63.87
Sign in to follow this  
robinv

Eddie on Raspberry Pi: Eddie slow (software, not connection), heavy cpu usage

I arranged a trial for AirVPN, and I've installed Eddie on my raspi. I've installed the version for ARM linux, and downloaded the .deb format. I'm new to linux. Is this the correct version?

The VPN is running, but it is seriously impacting the overall performance of the raspberry... Could I try anything else?

Thanks! My trial is almost over.

he VPN is running, but it is seriously impacting the overall performance of the raspberry... Could I try anything else?

Thanks! My trial is almost over.

What does the 'top' command show you on your RPi? Is Eddie or OpenVPN using up all the CPU time?

When is the performance impacted? When you're downloading over the VPN or when it's sitting there idle?

If it's Eddie you could just use the Config Generator on the website and then install the Raspbian version of OpenVPN and run it on the config file: e.g.

sudo apt-get install openvpn
sudo openvpn $HOME/generated_config_name.ovpn

I suspect that you're just running into the limitations of the RPi. IIRC it doesn't have AES offload so all the VPN work is done in the CPU core and the Ethernet interface is over USB and takes up a lot of CPU cycles to service its interrupts.

I'd check how it works for you but all my RPis are out of service at the moment.

Thanks for checking that! I ran HTOP and Eddie is spiking during idle as well. I switched to openvpn, which uses less CPU but it still slow.

RPi Without VPN : 75/30

RPi with Eddie: 27/30

RPI with Openvpn: 25/29 but less cpu usage

Windows with Eddie: 75/30

All on the same server.

Upload is most important anyway, since it's a seedbox

Anyway, I'll be moving house soon and I'll probably just setup VPN on my router there So I won't be hitting the three device limitation.