Not connected, Your IP: 44.210.78.150
ruheblitz

Why are name and address requested when ordering?

I'm currently not familar with crypto currencies so I'd try to order by credit card.

But I'm wondering why I have to type in a Real Name and Address when ordering by credit card (on the left side of the form). Typing associated name on credit card whould be needed for payment. But no more.

How are this private data are stored and used and why they are asked for?

Are they requested to get the payment token from payment provider and will be deleted after success?

Or will this data be stored anywhere else for a longer time?

I can't speak to the issue of data retention, but anyone who accepts credit cards online is required by the merchant bank to ascertain name and address at the time of ordering. This is done as an anti-fraud measure.  Elements of this info is matched to the data on file to establish the validity of the user, the theory being that If you're using a stolen card, you may not have accurate address info available.

As a former online vendor, I can tell  you that the only info I ever received from a CC transaction was the name and address of the customer.  Everything else, including card number, ccv code, etc. went directly to a third party gateway and I never saw it.

Perhaps it is also required for compliance with Value Added Tax and perhaps state sales tax in some  jurisdictions.  When  I purchase Air via Avangate with a Mastercard, no EU tax is added because I am in Australia, where the card is also issued. But due to complaints from local retailers about unfair internet retailing, and loss of tax revenue, there are new laws being implemented to force payment providers, not the goods/service seller/provider to collect and forward Australian 10pct GST(VAT) regardless of geolocation (tricks).

How this is working and the rollout and enforcement  is rather unclear.

Taxation authorities can now scoop up and store vast detailed amounts of data and are increasingly motivated, although they allow richpigs to use Panama/Paradise Papers avoidance, and multinational transfer "pricing" to handicap national businesses.

Maybe it does not "leak" to other "entities" in EU/US etc, but in Russia, Turkey, China, ... ?

I'm currently not familar with crypto currencies so I'd try to order by credit card.

But I'm wondering why I have to type in a Real Name and Address when ordering by credit card (on the left side of the form). Typing associated name on credit card whould be needed for payment. But no more.

How are this private data are stored and used and why they are asked for?

Are they requested to get the payment token from payment provider and will be deleted after success?

Or will this data be stored anywhere else for a longer time?

If you are concered about AirVPN (or any company) knowing your real name then do not order by credit card, every payment provider I've written software for provides your full name and credit card number ( with middle masked ) either as part of their callback or via an API call.

Basically you pay by credit card and you just identified your self - no exceptions.

now with that said, in most of the civilized world paying for a VPN connection is not illegal (and AirVPN does not link traffic to accounts) - if you live somewhere were it is I believe that AirVPN has a way around that, but you need to contact them directly. 

If you are concered about AirVPN (or any company) knowing your real name then do not order by credit card, every payment provider I've written software for provides your full name and credit card number ( with middle masked ) either as part of their callback or via an API call.

Basically you pay by credit card and you just identified your self - no exceptions.

now with that said, in most of the civilized world paying for a VPN connection is not illegal (and AirVPN does not link traffic to accounts) - if you live somewhere were it is I believe that AirVPN has a way around that, but you need to contact them directly. 

Exactly. Once you provide your cc number, someone (or more), between your merchant and his bank has your name and address (and god knows whatall else) whether you provide it to the merchant or not.  If you'e worrying about your CC number being linked to your real name and retained, your VPN would be the least of your worries.  There are other processing companies and a merchant bank that any online vendor must rely on to process your card and deposit the funds in their bank.  They all have access to your info. The only one generally left out of the loop is the VPN (or other merchant) itself.  Asking for your address at the time of purchase is just a security requirement imposed by the bank that issues your card. It's no different than when they ask for your PIN or zip code when you buy gas with a card.

you guys do know that if you use a pre-paid 'credit' card that its possible for the name and address to be any you choose to use, don't you?

Most CC clearing providers ask for the holders first and last names, some even ask the billing address.

They are regulatory obliged to store this information in case of fraud and/or chargebacks which sometimes happen.

Some good info about the whole process:

https://www.vantiv.com/credit-card-processing

https://www.vantiv.com/payment-processing/how-credit-card-processing-works

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Interestingly, the vantiv info seems out of date and a bit of an "airbrush" of issues.

The merchant batching transactions for overnight processing may well apply to supermarkets, movie theatres, etc but for the last few years portable handheld eftpos terminals which accept cards and PINs and now NFC, and fireup a mobile phone connection, have appeared all over the place in small business such as the lunch seller or motor mechanic. They are supplied and serviced by another party, and the device is responsible for card detail encryption and integrity. Field service is by rather low level, low pay staff or subcontractors, so actual and potential source of tampering and fraud.

My Mastercard statement shows Avangate and "airvpn" in the details so no secrets there. The current PM is sometimes quoted for publicly recommending that Australians get a VPN to get around geolocation based distribution restrictions and price markups as part of global free market party ideology.

I remember reading somewhere about large values of iTunes gift cards being used for "dark market" exchange and money laundering, perhaps a legal option for Air subscriptions ?   

I have seen VPN's that accept Amazon, Wal-Mart and certain other gift cards as payment. 

I imagine there's a pretty stiff conversion expense involved in that unless Wal Mart or Amazon start selling servers.

you guys do know that if you use a pre-paid 'credit' card that its possible for the name and address to be any you choose to use, don't you?

The problem there is that it's not legal to use pre-paid cards for foreign transactions, at least not in the U.S. and at least not unless you've pre-arranged it with the card company, which may or may not be possible/practical depending on what card you have access to.  AFAIK, there are only a couple pre-paid cards that don't require any registration at all, but I suppose you could lie about that as well if you had to register a name and address.

i have no interest in hiding my purchase. I am banking on your "no log" policy as stated in the mission statement, and I have yet to believe that the same peeps, or lack there of, who have imposed the FEDERAL RESERVE on the population are not also involved in this Bit Coin phenomenon. They have yet to allow any competition to jump into their game in which they have begun, If I am correct in my assertion, these are also the same crooks who have access to Bit Coin wallets and these are the last people I would want to have that access, because remember, Bit Coin wallets are paid in full where as credit card purchase has a fighting chance, fraudulent debt, and they are well aware of this fact.Annorite right or wrong?