44 replies to this topic

#21 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:45 AM

All right gang. Fiddling around tonight under Eddie Preferences. Under "Network Lock" unchecked both "Allow lan/private" and "Allow ping". Shut down Eddie. Relaunched Eddie and presto. No more "Unable to start PF Firewall" notification. It also connected to the first server it tried, which has not happened very often lately.

Log:

Spoiler

#22 CultureVulture

CultureVulture

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:07 AM

​Nice work Madrat. Not familiar with the software you ask about, BUT I did follow the process you outline above, and I didn't get the firewall message this time around.

​Thanks for lodging the ticket. I was going to do it myself, but you got in first.

​If you don't mind posting what staff say about this issue here on the forum, I'd be grateful. I'm curious to know what the explanation is.

​In the meantime, hopefully, happy days!

Thanks for all that effort - you really worked it some.

#23 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

​Nice work Madrat. Not familiar with the software you ask about, BUT I did follow the process you outline above, and I didn't get the firewall message this time around.

​Thanks for lodging the ticket. I was going to do it myself, but you got in first.

​If you don't mind posting what staff say about this issue here on the forum, I'd be grateful. I'm curious to know what the explanation is.

​In the meantime, hopefully, happy days!

Thanks for all that effort - you really worked it some.

I did update Staff on the situation, but have not heard back from then as of yet. Perhaps they will post a response themselves. I've been fiddling around with this problem for days now. I love troubleshooting, but unfortunately, don't really have the expertise to do it properly. I used more trial and error. :-)

#24 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

So Staff has considered this ticket "solved". They did state there was something "unusual" in the info I gave them, that they would pass on. However, this is what I reported to them on the other ticket I sent regarding "Problem connecting to Vancouver servers". The mystery continues:

"OK, I take back my last reply. This morning I decided to shut down Eddie and relaunch just to test again. Well, still no "Unable to start PF Firewall" notification, but Eddie could not connect to any of about 6 servers it tried. It tried several Vancouver servers and then a Toronto server without success. I cancelled and tried a US server with no success. So, I shut down Eddie again. Shut down computer and router. Restarted both. Eddie launched automatically on boot, but still seemed to be having trouble connecting. So while it was trying to connect, I went into Preferences again, and rechecked both "Allow lan/private" and "Allow ping" while Eddie was still trying to connect. I got an "Unable to start PF Firewall" notification again, but Eddie connected to the server right away. Network lock appears to be active despite the notification."

#25 CultureVulture

CultureVulture

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:59 AM

Not sure in what sense this could be considered solved.

I never had a problem with connecting, but it was just a question of figuring out what the hell this message is on about.

For lulz, just now I went into the settings of Eddie network and rechecked the boxes for ping and allow lan/private. Sure enough, message popped up immediately. I am going to disable them again just so I don't still see this stupid message.

#26 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

So Staff has considered this ticket "solved". They did state there was something "unusual" in the info I gave them, that they would pass on. However, this is what I reported to them on the other ticket I sent regarding "Problem connecting to Vancouver servers". The mystery continues:

Hello,

just to frame correctly the issue and fix what you incorrectly wrote, the support team did not consider the issue resolved at all and you were told that the whole content of the ticket would have been transmitted to Eddie developers.

Kind regards

#27 TheSoullessOne

TheSoullessOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

I was having the same problem so I have gone back to Eddie v 2.12.4 until this issue is resolved.

#28 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

Hello,

just to frame correctly the issue and fix what you incorrectly wrote, the support team did not consider the issue resolved at all and you were told that the whole content of the ticket would have been transmitted to Eddie developers.

Kind regards

My apologies, but under support tickets "Status" it does say "resolved". I assume I misunderstood what "resolved" meant. Perhaps there is some confusion, as I have 2 active support tickets. In any case, yes, Staff has sent the info I gave them to developers, and are actively looking into the problem. Hopefully they will find an answer. Staff's support is always much appreciated by me.

#29 stookie

stookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

Same problems for me, too. A few months ago I installed Eddie 2.12.4 and I have been having connection problems ever since. Sometimes I have to restart my iMac (El Capitan) and Eddie 3 or 4 times before it makes a connection. I have now downloaded the latest Eddie and the first thing that appeared was 'unable to start PF Firewall'. I will try the various fixes mentioned above, but I might just have to put up with the old version for a bit longer. It's a bit frustrating, as previous to this AirVPN has run perfectly on my system. Just wondering if it's okay to have both versions on my Mac at the same time - although obviously I wouldn't have them both open at same time - or am I meant to remove old version when I download new one. Thanks.

#30 stookie

stookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

Further to my post above from yesterday (#29) - Unfortunately things have went a bit haywire now. When I couldn't install Eddie 2.13.6 on my Mac (El Capitan 10.11.2) due to 'unable to start PF Firewall' error message, I had to go back to Eddie 2.12.4, but I was horrified to discover today that the Network Lock function wasn't working correctly. It worked okay when I was actually connected to a server, but when I disconnected from server (but still had Network Lock activated) my browser was still connecting to the internet. Usually, of course, the NL stops any internet traffic coming through in that situation. I then tried to get latest Eddie 2.13.6 working again by following above suggestion to uncheck Allow lan/private and Allow ping and this seemed to work as the 'unable to start PF Firewall' error message didn't appear. However, on the servers page, none of the country flags were visible and it obviously wasn't installed properly. I tried to connect to a random server but everything started flashing and I got an error message. I have now requested support help, and I'm hoping they will be able to get it working again for me. I have been with AirVPN for a few years and had no problems at all, but all these connection problems have got me worried, especially after finding that the Network Lock feature wasn't stopping internet traffic getting through.

#31 stookie

stookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:53 AM

In regard to the above posts, Support have asked me to delete the configuration file for the new version of Eddie in case it's the same as the previous version, which could be causing the problem. The file in question is AirVPN.xml and by checking the logs I can see that it is meant to be located here on my Mac - /Users/myname/.airvpn/AirVPN.xml. However, after spending an hour searching for it, there is absolutely no sign of it - no xml file and no folder for AirVPN. I'm just wondering if anyone who has a Mac might know where else I can look for it. I've tried every search method I can think of, but as I'm no expert it's possible it might be found somewhere that I don't know about. Thanks.

#32 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

In regard to the above posts, Support have asked me to delete the configuration file for the new version of Eddie in case it's the same as the previous version, which could be causing the problem. The file in question is AirVPN.xml and by checking the logs I can see that it is meant to be located here on my Mac - /Users/myname/.airvpn/AirVPN.xml. However, after spending an hour searching for it, there is absolutely no sign of it - no xml file and no folder for AirVPN. I'm just wondering if anyone who has a Mac might know where else I can look for it. I've tried every search method I can think of, but as I'm no expert it's possible it might be found somewhere that I don't know about. Thanks.

Unable to locate on my Mac either.

#33 stookie

stookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

Thanks to support for showing me how to find that xml file by using the Terminal app on my Mac. After a few attempts I was able to remove it and start again with Eddie 2.13.6. However, once again I couldn't get past 'unable to start PF Firewall' error message. I tried the solution mentioned before - I unchecked the 'Allow lan/private and Allow ping' boxes in Preferences and this got me past the error message, but when I tried to connect to a server it kept on disconnecting and trying to connect to another server. I then went back to Preferences and rechecked the 'Allow lan/private and Allow ping' boxes and this time I was able to successfully connect to a server. It seems to be running securely for the moment, but while checking the logs I see that I am still getting the 'unable to start PF Firewall' error message, and I'm worried that the system's security may in some way be compromised. I have contacted support to get their opinion on this matter.

#34 CultureVulture

CultureVulture

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for keeping us informed.

#35 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Yes, thanks stookie. I have had no further update since my ticket was passed on to developers. Hopefully, we'll get an update soon. Once I am connected, I don't seem to have any disconnection problems, luckily. Despite it showing network lock is active, it may or may not be working properly. I'm assuming "AirVPN.xml" is perhaps a hidden file?

#36 stookie

stookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

Regarding the AirVPN.xml file - Support explained that it could only be accessed on a Mac by using Terminal which requires administrator privileges, and that it won't show up in a normal search. By deleting it in this way Eddie 2.13.6 will create a new configuration file when it is relaunched, and hopefully that way the old and new versions of Eddie on my Mac won't affect each other. Support said that it is okay to have more than one version of Eddie on the Mac at the same time, although I might if the new version runs smoothly I might remove the old one if it is a straightforward process. As with madrat, they have passed my ticket on to the developers, so hopefully they will find a solution to the 'unable to start PF Firewall' problem. A quick question: what exactly does Allow lan/private and Allow ping mean in Preferences? What do they do? If we have to uncheck them to login, does that mean we are compromising security on the system. Thanks.

#37 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:29 PM

Regarding the AirVPN.xml file - Support explained that it could only be accessed on a Mac by using Terminal which requires administrator privileges, and that it won't show up in a normal search. By deleting it in this way Eddie 2.13.6 will create a new configuration file when it is relaunched, and hopefully that way the old and new versions of Eddie on my Mac won't affect each other. Support said that it is okay to have more than one version of Eddie on the Mac at the same time, although I might if the new version runs smoothly I might remove the old one if it is a straightforward process. As with madrat, they have passed my ticket on to the developers, so hopefully they will find a solution to the 'unable to start PF Firewall' problem. A quick question: what exactly does Allow lan/private and Allow ping mean in Preferences? What do they do? If we have to uncheck them to login, does that mean we are compromising security on the system. Thanks.

Probably someone with a little more knowledge will have to answer that for you. I will tell you this - when I was unable to transfer a file from my iMac to my MacPro via wi-fi yesterday, I had to in fact recheck the "allow lan/private" box and save before I could transfer my file. So in fact, after you uncheck those to bypass the "unable to start PF Firewall" problem, once you are connected, you can recheck those and save if you like. Unless you become disconnected and Eddie tries to reconnect, it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

#38 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

Just an update to my last reply. After you connect you can reselect "allow lan/private" box ONLY. If you also reselect "ping" option and save, you once again get the "unable to start PF Firewall" warning once again. Let me try only checking the "lan/private" box and not the "ping" box. Then I'll shut Eddie down and restart with those settings and see what happens.

#39 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:46 PM

So, I rechecked "lan/private" box. Left "ping" box unchecked. Saved. Shut down and restarted Eddie. On restart no "unable to start PF Firewall" notification, but Eddie got stuck on "checking route". I let it try and connect a few times and when it kept failing, I went back and rechecked "lan/private" box and as soon as I did that, it connected. Here are the logs:

Log:

Spoiler

System log:

Spoiler

#40 stookie

stookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:00 AM

First off, apologies that my posts keep appearing as solid blocks of text. I do use paragraph breaks, but when I post those disappear. I also can't quote directly from a previous post. Thanks, madrat, for trying those different sequences. After my last post I had to go out for a few hours, and when I got back I found that once again Eddie wouldn't connect to a server. I then had to quit Eddie and go through the whole uncheck/recheck process again, which is of course rather frustrating. I don't know what happened in those few hours to cause such a problem. I'm not changing my routine at all.