Not connected, Your IP: 3.236.145.110
Sign in to follow this  
billygrande

Ubuntu 17.04 DNS "Leak"

It's not a leak or an AirVPN flaw but a configuration problem.

The information I found that best describes the problem is this. I would post a link but I can't remember where I found it.

***************************************************************************************************

SECURITY: If you're running a VPN on a Linux PC that uses #systemd - eg; Ubuntu, Debian, Redhat, etc - it's breaking your security.
By default, systemd takes over DNS management & ignores any configuration settings you make, including any that your VPN tools make. This means that, no matter how you configure it, it'll do all its DNS lookups via whatever it discovered on boot, typically your ISPs name servers. So your ISP knows every site you go to, & can redirect you to wherever they like, such as a censor's notice if they or the gov't don't like the site, or much worse, a MitM site to monitor what you do as though you had no encryption at all.
FIX: The simplest solution is disable the systemd resolver & replace it with one of the standalone resolvers, eg DNSMasq. For Ubuntu 17.04, the procedure on the linked page worked for me. It should work for others using something Debian flavoured, perhaps with some tweaking. Users of other distros will have to do their own Googling. I suggest "how to replace systemd for DNS $YOUR_DISTRO" as a good place to start.
#Linux #security #Ubuntu

There is a year long thread about this issue here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/network-manager/+bug/1624317

For now the best solution would be using Eddie, the convenience of network manager

handling VPN configs is very limited even before the issues with DNS.

More details can be found here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/11432-using-airvpn-with-ubuntu-network-manager/

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.