Not connected, Your IP: 54.163.218.81
NinjaThunderbolt

LAN SSH connections freeze every 10-20 seconds

Hi,

When I am connected to AirVPN under Linux NetworkManager with OpenVPN configs, attempting to SSH to other Linux clients on the LAN has intermittent 10-20 second lockups. This is not true of Eddie connections under Windows or when not connected to AirVPN. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it?

add "UseDNS no" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

"UseDNS no" is the default setting, and manually uncommenting it on both that computer and the computer I normally use didn't make a difference.

All those options it tells you to change are already the defaults. My guess is that it's a Xubuntu issue as my Xubuntu machines have this problem, while the Win10/PuTTY does not. The host I am trying to connect to is Slackware. Also, it's rarely the SSH password prompt, as the lockups happen while connected at irregular intervals.

As this is limited to one LAN computer with a static IP, with connection problems only on Xubuntu clients on the same LAN, is there a way in OpenVPN settings to bypass the VPN for a certain IP (like Eddie has in Windows) as a workaround?

I can confirm that the ping spikes also happen with Windows 10, but it does not affect any software (PuTTY, WinSCP) connections at all. Unlike Xubuntu where all software (ssh, FileZilla, PuTTY) connections lock up simultaneously with the ping spikes.