Not connected, Your IP: 3.12.41.106
WeirdConnection

How to connect to AirVPN through public WiFi which uses captive portal?

​HI!

​So, the problem, as I understand: Most public WiFis use captive portals, which redirects the first DNS request from the browser. Since AirVPN has it's own DNS server, this won't happen. But without accepting the agreement on the site it redirects to, one can't access the internet. Also a lot of them only allow DNS (53) and HTTP/S (80, 443 ports).

​I've tried to connect without AirVPN, accepted TOS, had internet access, but couldn't connect to AirVPN then.

​Now, I'll happily play nice and accept the TOS, but don't mind if I have to use other methods either. I just want my free internet and AirVPN! Also I'd prefer a way that won't leak my traffic before I'm connected to AirVPN.
Thanks!

​HI!

​So, the problem, as I understand: Most public WiFis use captive portals, which redirects the first DNS request from the browser. Since AirVPN has it's own DNS server, this won't happen. But without accepting the agreement on the site it redirects to, one can't access the internet. Also a lot of them only allow DNS (53) and HTTP/S (80, 443 ports).

​I've tried to connect without AirVPN, accepted TOS, had internet access, but couldn't connect to AirVPN then.

​Now, I'll happily play nice and accept the TOS, but don't mind if I have to use other methods either. I just want my free internet and AirVPN! Also I'd prefer a way that won't leak my traffic before I'm connected to AirVPN.

Thanks!

disconnect from airvpn and connect to the wifi and then accept the TOS if you agree to them, then make sure the internet works correctly when not connected to airvpn"example go to any website and make sure it loads.". Then connect to airvpn using Eddie app and it should work, if it does not connect then you can try changing the ports that Eddie uses and see if it works then.

​HI!

Thanks!

post the log here when you're trying to connect and it doesn't connect.

disconnect from airvpn and connect to the wifi and then accept the TOS if you agree to them, then make sure the internet works correctly when not connected to airvpn"example go to any website and make sure it loads.". Then connect to airvpn using Eddie app and it should work, if it does not connect then you can try changing the ports that Eddie uses and see if it works then.

​HI!

Thanks!

This is what I do but I too.  I have the same concerns though.  I have 100 tabs open (don't judge me) all trying to refresh themselves once internet comes back.  I have 50 background apps running trying to sync themselves to remote services. (Stupid dropbox) I don't want to have to reboot into safe mode to accept the TOS.   Is there anyway to get just a single redirecting browser tab that isn't subject to Network Lock?  That way I can accept the TOS without leaking all my precious datas to that creepy guy next to me at the coffee shop.  Yeah I'm talking about you dude....

This is a daily concern for me. Can't there be some way to log onto such a public wifi without broadcasting one's real IP address - and leaving one's data vulnerable? It seems quite a common and important problem.