Not connected, Your IP: 34.239.150.247
8b7q7JIwn3

Torrent download speed went from 3~4mb/s (NO Airvpn connection) to 300~1000kb/s (Airvpn connected)

Hi, AirVPN Community

I just join the AirVPN community. I choose AirVPN becomes its open privacy policies and some advance features like SSL over VPN.

However, the Torrent download speed got me disappointed a little.

I did some speed test before I used Torrent client.  My Wifi Download speed was around 50 mbps and it dropped to 38~ mbps after I connected to AirVPN.

This is understandable since I know using VPN is bound to have some performance hit. At the end of the day, I was still able to stream 4k. So, it was all good.

Yet, when I tried BitTorrent to download something.  The difference was too drastic.  I could go from a download speed of 3~4 Mbyte/s when I NOT connected to AirVPN to somewhere around 300~1000 Kbyte/s when I connected.  The maximum torrent download speed with AirVPN connection I have seems was only around 1.2 Mbyte/s. That was about 80% drop in performance.

I have set up remote port forwarding, disable UPnP port mapping and NAT-PMP.  It didn't help.

I think since I could reach to 38~ mbps on Youtube with AirVPN, the only two explanations will be either AirVPN is not friendly to p2p, or my Torrent client and setting is not friendly to AirVPN.

I have tried pBittorrent but It was the same story.

Could you please share your thoughts on why would this happen?

Thank you very much!

=======================================================================================================================================================================

Update#1

I followed this post:https://airvpn.org/topic/23389-p2p-connection-slow-no-matter-what-i-do/

I changed the protocols to SSL:443, and used Ubuntu torrent to test the speed. It's working perfectly and I can see my speed went up to 8 Mbyte/s.

I don't know why it needs to be obfuscated with SSL.  If anyone knows the reason, please let me know.

Thank you!

=======================================================================================================================================================================

Update#2

The bottleneck seems came from UDP Protocols.  TCP Protocols is working fine as well.  My guess is UDP Protocol drops too many packets between me and vpn server.  I cannot get those losing packets from vpn server due to its UDP. So I had to keep requesting for losing packets from peers which makes other peers less likely to passing me more packets, or some of them simply just got timeout.