Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.179.138
zarquon

Question about mircro-routing and vpn setup

I am looking for a new VPN service for I am experiencing geolocation problems  with my actual provider. AirVPN looks like could be the one that suits me quite well. Actually, it could be perfect if it had 5 connections but I know this is not an option, unlikely...

Anyway, browsing around the site I got a doubt and I am asking for clarifications.

If I got it right, when I am connected to any server (let's say a server in Hong Kong) I can still access georestricted contents for some broadcasters (for example, BBC, FranceTV, RAI, RSI). All of these from within the same server! Is it right? If so, is it true for any server? In the case, I am puzzled: how does it work?

On the other side, if a site which is georestricted is not in the "granted" list in the "Website support" page, then to access it I need to connect to a server in the same country as the site, right? So, if there is not such a server, I can not access such a site (and, I must say, the list of countries with a server is not impressive).

Now a couple of questions about the client and the connection.

I am using linux, so I think I have two options: AirVPN client (aka Eddie) or openvpn. Is there a difference between the two of them? Is one of them to be preferred (and why)? Is it possible, with any of them, to choose an "auto" connection (ie, the one which should be the best at the moment of going up)?

I am asking this because on my desktop it would make little to none difference to use one client or the other, but I am also using it on my raspberry where for me the (much) preferred choice would be openvpn, so I would like to get the most from such client.

Thank you in advance.

1. You can access all supported services from any server, yes. It works only if you set your primary DNS server to Air's internal 10.4.0.1. Requesting a supported service's domain name will trigger a redirect to a specific double-hop server. For example, requests Germany's zdf.de will be directed to double-hop server DE, making it appear as if the connection came from there.

2. If a (georestricted) website is not supported, either kindly ask for support via support tickets or take your chance with a server in the same country. Usually it works.

Client quesions:

For me (Debian) there's a great difference. Vanilla OpenVPN is very stable and fast, Eddie works but is felt sluggish at times. It slows down my throughput somehow. But it makes SSH, SSL and Tor connection methods very easy to use. And although an "auto" connection is possible with both clients, Eddie makes this easy to use as well.

On a Pi, I would definitely use vanilla. Easier to use in a shell, I feel.

Sent via Tapatalk. Means, I don't have a computer available now.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

For me (Debian) there's a great difference. Vanilla OpenVPN is very stable and fast, Eddie works but is felt sluggish at times. It slows down my throughput somehow.

Hello,

that's technically impossible, simply because Eddie never handles and never handled any VPN tunnel, which remains up to OpenVPN. Eddie just creates the exact, identical configuration directives which is also created by the Configuration Generator, and passes them to OpenVPN. Under OpenVPN point of view, until you don't talk to the Management (for example by clicking "Disconnect" button) there is no difference between being run directly by root with a CG ovpn, or by Eddie, provided of course that you order the same directives both in Eddie and in the Configuration Generator.

Under Debian, Eddie does not even tell OpenVPN to modify buffers in any pre-determined way, by default.

Kind regards

1. You can access all supported services from any server, yes. It works only if you set your primary DNS server to Air's internal 10.4.0.1.

Is the dns address 10.4.0.1 the same for every AirVPN server?

1. You can access all supported services from any server, yes. It works only if you set your primary DNS server to Air's internal 10.4.0.1.

Is the dns address 10.4.0.1 the same for every AirVPN server?

The DNS server listens on all 10.*.0.1 addresses specified on the Specs page. Someone connecting via UDP/53, having a 10.8.x.x address, can of course use 10.8.0.1 as his or her DNS server, or he can set 10.4.0.1 (statically) and not worry about changing the DNS server if protocol or port is changed.

Sent via Tapatalk. Means, I don't have a computer available now.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.