• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 blacckpigy

blacckpigy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:01 AM

While running Wireshark on my wireless card and not the tunnel interface I have found that I am almost flooding a network with arp request to WAN IP address that appears not to be owned by airvpn when running them against whois and http://ipleak.net. I am wondering, is this a security risk that should be noted? 

I am running Sparky Linux 4.8.0-2-amd64 x86_64, with the eddie-cli_2.12.4_linux_x64_mono edition through Tor. 

If futher info is needed I can post samples of Wireshark output and any other further info. 

Thank you for your time. 

#2 zhang888

zhang888

Donald Trump of IT/Security

• Moderators
  • 2121 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

ARP requests don't leave your local network.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

#3 blacckpigy

blacckpigy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:03 AM

I am more worried that the fact that the request is to outside network IP address and sending 2-4 broadcast ARP every few seconds makes a lot of noise. When I use the temp version of the openvpn config file that Eddie client drop during use, does not cause the ARP request but when I use the Eddie client it performs the ARP request.

#4 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7000 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

I am more worried that the fact that the request is to outside network IP address and sending 2-4 broadcast ARP every few seconds makes a lot of noise. When I use the temp version of the openvpn config file that Eddie client drop during use, does not cause the ARP request but when I use the Eddie client it performs the ARP request.

That's expected, normal, ordinary and correct. We recommend that you get informed about how ARP works.

Kind regards