Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.30.253

I have searched but found no actual answer to this specific question.  I'm using Asus AC87 with Merlin firmware, and I followed the How-To.  The problem I'm having is the DNS settings.  As per How-To, With Wan->DNS

DNS1: 10.4.0.1

DNS2: 8.8.8.8

ipleak shows vpn ip and dns ip for vpn, but also my google dns.  If I set DNS1 and DNS2 to my normal 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 and then set vpn "accept dns config" to Strict, so it accepts DNS config from airvpn and uses it before my google ip's, same happens again, ip leak shows the google dns.  The only way for me to get 0 ipleaks, is to set Accept DNS config to "Exclusive", which sets it to use only airvpn dns ip.  The problem with that, is I can no longer access my lan hosts by name.

Any ideas?

Update:  Played around and set vpn "accept dns" to Strict so it gets 10.4.0.1 as first dns, and also set WAN>DNS to 10.4.0.1 and 8.8.8.8, so now I have 10.4.0.1 twice and 8.8.8.8 listed as nameservers, and I have no leaks.. It'll do.

After importing AirVPN's *.ovpn config-file, I modified the following OpenVPN client-parameters in the advanced settings section (my suggestion to everyone):

• Accept DNS Configuration (AirVPN -> Disabled): Should be "Strict" (recommended) or alternatively to "Exclusive"
  • Redirect Internet traffic (AirVPN -> No): Should be set to "all", to be sure, that every traffic will be forwarded through the VPN-tunnel
  • I added "mute-replay-warnings" to the custom configuration field.

I can't set to exclusive as it stops local dns resolution for my lan.  Redirect traffic, I have policy rules, but the machine I use to test is included in the vpn traffic so shouldn't make a difference.

mute replay warnings is just cosmetic, but I'll add that to shrink my logs a little  I'll make do with my current config, it works

After importing AirVPN's *.ovpn config-file, I modified the following OpenVPN client-parameters in the advanced settings section (my suggestion to everyone):
  • Accept DNS Configuration (AirVPN -> Disabled): Should be "Strict" (recommended) or alternatively to "Exclusive"
  • Redirect Internet traffic (AirVPN -> No): Should be set to "all", to be sure, that every traffic will be forwarded through the VPN-tunnel
  • I added "mute-replay-warnings" to the custom configuration field.