Not connected, Your IP: 18.215.15.122
avpn10080

Cannot setup airvpn on wrt54g

I flashed my linksys WRT54G v3 with the generic vpn firmware and followed the guide to setting up the vpn on the router. There are no 'advanced options' on my VPN tab, so some settings are missing like the choice of cipher and hash. After completing all the possible steps in the guide, airvpn.org still shows my real IP address.

I said this in another thread yesterday about almost the same router. That router can't handle the real-time VPN encryption, which could be why there are no options for it. It's an old wireless G from like, 10+ years ago. I had DD-WRT running on a Netgear N900 and it still didn't have enough power so I had to get a mini-pc and put PFSENSE on it. 

Wow. So the router that is mentioned when you click on the DD-WRT instructions for airvpn is not compatible with airvpn. I got this router specifically because it was mentioned in the guide. So now I wasted by money on this service, but also on a routerr that i have no use for.

I have NO idea why that router model is mentioned in the guide. I agree that's pretty stupid. You didn't waste money of this service though, it's the best VPN out there. 

Wow. So the router that is mentioned when you click on the DD-WRT instructions for airvpn is not compatible with airvpn. I got this router specifically because it was mentioned in the guide. So now I wasted by money on this service, but also on a routerr that i have no use for.

you just bought a router that's 15 years old?

yep

yep

I hope you only paid like $5 for it.

yep

I paid around $13.

I paid around $13.

yep

Next time ask questions if you're learning and the forum doesn't already have the answer in other threads.  I hate to see you spend money you didn't need to spend and have a poor experience here.

I really don't know if you can get openvpn client working on that router with Air.  But, if you did, the processor is so slow it would probably be useless for you.  It just can't run openvpn fast enough.  Encrypting and decrypting is CPU intensive.

What do you plan to do now?

I paid around $13.

yep

Next time ask questions if you're learning and the forum doesn't already have the answer in other threads.  I hate to see you spend money you didn't need to spend and have a poor experience here.

I really don't know if you can get openvpn client working on that router with Air.  But, if you did, the processor is so slow it would probably be useless for you.  It just can't run openvpn fast enough.  Encrypting and decrypting is CPU intensive.

What do you plan to do now?

Ill get a better router and choose a different vpn service, without misleading guides.

All it says is this

DD-WRT is Linux-based firmware for wireless routers and wireless access points. It is compatible with several models of routers and access points, for example, the Linksys WRT54G series (including the WRT54GL and WRT54GS). 

It's literally just describing what DD-WRT is and giving an example using the router it got it's name from. Nowhere in there does it say it's recommended for Air.

From the DD-WRT Wiki

DD-WRT is a GNU/Linux-based firmware for wireless routers and access points. Originally designed for the Linksys WRT54G series, it now runs on a wide variety of models. DD-WRT is one of a handful of third-party firmware projects designed to replace manufacturer's original firmware with custom firmware offering additional features or functionality.

The firmware project's name was taken in part from the Linksys WRT54G model router, a home router popular in 2002–2004. "DD" are the German license-plate letters for vehicles from Dresden, where the BrainSlayer's (His real name is Sebastian Gottschall,[2] and he’s the founder and primary maintainer of the DD-WRT project.) development team lived.[3] "WRT", also used by the OpenWrt router firmware project, comes from the generic abbreviation for "Wireless RouTer", which may have been the original Linksys meaning.

You can probably find a less secure VPN provider that works with that firmware if you wanted. Or you could buy a better router and have all the best. Up to you.

Sure, I'll get a faster router with 8mb flash. Meanwhile you guys can keep dealing with support tickets from people who didn't get the memo that running openvpn is not trivial for older routers and that there are minimum system specs (nowhere mentioned in the guide). The guide as I read it leads the reader to believe that dd-wrt firmware in itself is the minimum requirement, and even accidentally advertises the wrt54g by mentioning it's compatibility with the firmware. Airvpn should not include any names of incompatible devices on any of their guides, without mentioning the fact. How many clones of this thread do you get every month here?

I've been here a while and there have been a lot of people using dd-wrt in that time.  Never have I seen anybody say they thought a wrt54g was required.  Most are bright enough to know, from research they've done, that dd-wrt can be put on many quite modern routers.

And besides that point, many modern routers are coming with openvpn clients stock!

See this post:

https://airvpn.org/topic/6525-suggested-dd-wrt-firmware-for-openvpn-on-wrt54gl-linksys-router/?p=9568

This is a quite pointless discussion, the DD-WRT guide does not recommend any device, just like any other setup guides.

The fact that this model was mentioned is a simple quote from the project page and wiki.

Just like a guide for Windows XP does not mean it is recommended to install it.

A good VPN provider should be vendor neutral and serve as pipe between you and the internet, without any recommendations

for any particular devices, this is why you will not see an official recommendation of any kind.

Most routers from the past 5 years should work with AES256 OpenVPN for browsing. Anything more will require a better device.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I've been here a while and there have been a lot of people using dd-wrt in that time.  Never have I seen anybody say they thought a wrt54g was required.  Most are bright enough to know, from research they've done, that dd-wrt can be put on many quite modern routers.

And besides that point, many modern routers are coming with openvpn clients stock!

And you're dull enough to put the word 'require' where no one mentioned it before. Please read my posts before replying again, especially if you are going to insult my intelligence a third time. The guide mentions a certain device is compatible with the firmware, does not mention there are other minimum requirements. Therefore it misleads the reader into thinking WRT54G is compatible with the service.

See this post:

https://airvpn.org/topic/6525-suggested-dd-wrt-firmware-for-openvpn-

See this post:

https://airvpn.org/topic/6525-suggested-dd-wrt-firmware-for-openvpn-on-wrt54gl-linksys-router/?p=9568

This is a quite pointless discussion, the DD-WRT guide does not recommend any device, just like any other setup guides.

The fact that this model was mentioned is a simple quote from the project page and wiki.

A good VPN provider should be vendor neutral and serve as pipe between you and the internet, without any recommendations

for any particular devices, this is why you will not see an official recommendation of any kind.

Most routers from the past 5 years should work with AES256 OpenVPN for browsing. Anything more will require a better device.

on-wrt54gl-linksys-router/?p=9568

While it is true that the guide does not recommend any router, it also does not mention system requirements for the router to be installed, other than 'must be compatible with DD-WRT', also conveniently mentions that WRT54G family is compatible with DD-WRT, therefore it is incidentally advertising the router as compatible.

The link to the newer firmware in that post is dead. I used the generic_vpn.bin from dd-wrt router database, and the newest build there is 3 years older than the one from the post you linked. As mentioned by others, even if I can get the necessary software into the firmware, it is not likely that the router's cpu can handle the encryption/decryption.

Is it really that pointless to suggest that the guide should either mention minimum system requirements, or the fact that the mentioned WRT54G family has been known to have issues being configured for the service?

The guide is there to serve as a reference for DD-WRT users. Performance is not part of a technical setup guide.

You can find plenty of recommendations for supported and good performing devices on the DD-WRT forums, if you choose

to use that firmware. In fact, that is the only place to provide semi-official support and recommendations of any kind.

Just like you don't expect the DD-WRT forums to be an official place to find recommendations for AirVPN, this is not

a forum where any Staff member will recommend a router for you, there are some basic neutrality etiquettes.

You can find dozens of threads around this forum where users achieved decent speeds on various models with DD-WRT.

Try to start from that first, if your goal is a working setup with minimum waste of time.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I agree with you zhang888, but I still think it is confusing, and the guide could be improved by simply not mentioning those models in the guide. If you claim the guide is a reference for DD-WRT users, you must know that people who haven't used that firmware before and want to set up airvpn on a router will find it on the official website, and try to follow the guide.

Did you bring it up to the admins? Because I agree with you...DD-WRT is the first non-commercial router firmware people usually use that are complete noobs. When dealing with complete noobs, any information like the router mentioned will be taken as that's what I need for this service. I see that and how you thought that. But anyone who isn't a complete noob will realize that router was from the mid 2000's and there's no way it'll run modern encryption. Might work with a service like PIA because their encryption is weak but if you're serious about privacy and security you will get something that works with AirVPN.

Good luck dude.