Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.153.38
tittiger

Could someone please look at the dd wrt directions? Are they a joke?

The directions  at  are horrible at https://airvpn.org/ddwrt/

I am trying to configure  VPN on a wrt54gl using firmware build 13064.
The file I flashed was  dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin.

Let me document the confusion in case someone wants to see if they can rewrite

the directions to be usable and clear.

1.) The step "Go to Specs page of AirVPN website and locate Air VPN DNS for the server you want to connect to, and enter it under Static DNS 1." does not link to the info that you need to input the VPN servers DNS. You first need their 10.x.x.x  network.  And how to do that is not mentioned until a link a few steps down.  (i.e. nslookup SERVER-NAME.airservers.org) Only then  after 3 hours of frustration was I able to get the correct DNS info for that step.

2.) ***   Now we are instructed to go to services --> VPN tab -->  and enable the OpenVPN Client
Then to enter the servers IP and port. I just got the IP with nslookup, but I lack telepathy and do not know what port to use.

3.) ** Set the tunnel protocol to either  UDP or TCP. Again I have no idea. It says it depends on the server that I selected.
(I finally found  the port and protocol. It would help a lot to have another reminder link to the info at:  https://airvpn.org/specs/ there is a LOT to absorb the first time that you set it up)

4.) Then says to set the encryption cypher to AFS-256.    I have no such setting.

5.)  Set HASH... no such setting.

6.) Enable advance options. No such setting.

7.) Enable NAT.  No such setting

8.) Set local IP .... no such setting.

9.) Set TLS Cipher.... no such setting

10.) Unzip the AIrVPN config file.... and the is no CA cert window to paste into.

11.) Copy contents into the  TLS auth key... no such window.

12.) *** When instructed to copy the firewall rules into the command window they say that it is important to

determine if the tun interface name is tun1 or tun0 without telling how to check this. I have no super powers or telepathy.

I am at a loss.  What am I doing wrong or are these instructions as bad as they seem?

Thanks in advance

Search both forums first.

There is a specific issue with a very old firmware build of DD-WRT (From 2009) which you flashed and those missing options.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=642670

https://airvpn.org/topic/1894-cant-setup-for-my-dd-wrt/

This is a more recent version for your model, however nobody provides support for that 10 year old model anymore, so they

are compiled as is without much testing:

http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/06-01-2017-r32170/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Thanks for the links DT, but that is the same file name of the firmware that I installed.

I guess my question now,  is there a version for the  wrt54gl  that has the options shown in the tutorial?

Is there documentation anywhere to warn people that their firmware may not match these directions?
It is a shame to have wasted about 6 hours when a simple statement could have avoided it.

If there is not a newer version, then are there directions somewhere on how to configure VPN on the older   version I have?

I don't want this to be hit or miss. I went out bought a router, spent hours researching everything. Flashing it. Only to learn

after the fact that the firmware for that router isn't even usable as far a VPN's go. I made the assumption that VPN firmware would 

do VPN's and that you had instructions to configure them.

What about the other version of firmware offered.  Is there a way to discern if it has all of the menu choices BEFORE

DL'ing it and installing it?

Thanks again

Ok I just went out and found the newest firmware listed (build 14890) and flashed
the router. Still no menus to correlate to your directions. ( I will try again as soon as I get off.)

Am I to understand that dd-wrt lists  VPN firmware  that can not be used as a VPN client?

Nobody knows how to configure this firmware?   I am just trying to figure out where to go now.
I have been told over and over again that the wrt54's make  great VPN routers.

I don't want to make the same mistake with my next router.
Can you recommend a good router  for VPN and a Samba/NAS?

Cheers
Joe

Dude that router can't handle the VPN encryption, which could be why there are no options for it. It's an old wireless G from like, 10+ years ago. I had DD-WRT running on a Netgear N900 and it still didn't have enough power so I had to get a mini-pc and put PFSENSE on it. 

There's no need to be all snippy about it...

That being said, I didn't know much of anything about networking until I started messing around with Air and router firmwares. Just keep at it and you'll get it. It took me 6 months to setup PFSENSE lol

Ok I just went out and found the newest firmware listed (build 14890) and flashed

the router. Still no menus to correlate to your directions. ( I will try again as soon as I get off.)

Am I to understand that dd-wrt lists  VPN firmware  that can not be used as a VPN client?

Nobody knows how to configure this firmware?   I am just trying to figure out where to go now.

I have been told over and over again that the wrt54's make  great VPN routers.

I don't want to make the same mistake with my next router.

Can you recommend a good router  for VPN and a Samba/NAS?

Cheers

Joe

Hello!

You can check out the Turris Omnia, if you feel ambitious.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Honestly I would say get a new router first, the 54Gs are ancient. second unless you have a beast router the encryption will slow things down to snail ~5Mbs down, and that is on a home router from this century. For me the client / openVPN is the better way to go in a lot of cases. Im no expert though by any means.

The directions  at  are horrible at https://airvpn.org/ddwrt/

I am trying to configure  VPN on a wrt54gl using firmware build 13064.

The file I flashed was  dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin.

Let me document the confusion in case someone wants to see if they can rewrite

the directions to be usable and clear.

1.) The step "Go to Specs page of AirVPN website and locate Air VPN DNS for the server you want to connect to, and enter it under Static DNS 1." does not link to the info that you need to input the VPN servers DNS. You first need their 10.x.x.x  network.  And how to do that is not mentioned until a link a few steps down.  (i.e. nslookup SERVER-NAME.airservers.org) Only then  after 3 hours of frustration was I able to get the correct DNS info for that step.

2.) ***   Now we are instructed to go to services --> VPN tab -->  and enable the OpenVPN Client

Then to enter the servers IP and port. I just got the IP with nslookup, but I lack telepathy and do not know what port to use.

3.) ** Set the tunnel protocol to either  UDP or TCP. Again I have no idea. It says it depends on the server that I selected.

(I finally found  the port and protocol. It would help a lot to have another reminder link to the info at:  https://airvpn.org/specs/ there is a LOT to absorb the first time that you set it up)

4.) Then says to set the encryption cypher to AFS-256.    I have no such setting.

5.)  Set HASH... no such setting.

6.) Enable advance options. No such setting.

7.) Enable NAT.  No such setting

8.) Set local IP .... no such setting.

9.) Set TLS Cipher.... no such setting

10.) Unzip the AIrVPN config file.... and the is no CA cert window to paste into.

11.) Copy contents into the  TLS auth key... no such window.

12.) *** When instructed to copy the firewall rules into the command window they say that it is important to

determine if the tun interface name is tun1 or tun0 without telling how to check this. I have no super powers or telepathy.

I am at a loss.  What am I doing wrong or are these instructions as bad as they seem?

Thanks in advance

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

I agree with this post, the instruction for the DDWRT is not straightforward. For #1, I know that I can use 10.4.0.1 for UDP 443 for DNS1. But for #2, I have no idea what IP to port. What does "Port to the Air VPN server you selected" it mean. Post some examples may help. If I cannot config this, I have no reason to continue paying the service but cannot use. Right now, I am trying, but it is difficult.