Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.158.47
rider_nf

UDP Flood On my external Router

Hi Forum ... I am new to this VPN community and I am trying to get the perfect setting.

When I connect to AirVPN all is good but when I start downloading a torrent I get a flood of log like this on my internet router:

May 23 02:55:26 id=firewall time="2017-05-23 01:55:25" pri=3 msg="UDP flood! source: 194.187.251.162:443, destination: 86.177.10.113:2794, zone name: untrust, interface name: pp0.0, action: drop"

Being the source address the public IP Address of the VPN Gateway I am connected to (the public IP Address at the other end of the VPN tunnel)

How can I avoid this ? 

Thanks

Hello,

it's a wrong detection. When you connect to our VPN servers all of your traffic is wrapped in UDP by default. You can change protocol but UDP is the most efficient one due to how OpenVPN works.

Kind regards

So how can I avoid all those logs ?

Is there a setting ?

I know how VPNs work but I never saw this behaviour. I am sure this is also causing some poor performance.

Thanks

Just to add that when that is happening, my connection becomes really slow

It must be a way to solve this problem. I am using the AirVPN Client from a computer inside my LAN and the router is my gateway (the router generating the alarms)

Basically it's a problem with the router.  There might be some settings you can change on the router.  Perhaps it's a "security" function or something.

This isn't the first time we've seen problems with routers handling many UDP connections.

Just to add that when that is happening, my connection becomes really slow

It must be a way to solve this problem. I am using the AirVPN Client from a computer inside my LAN and the router is my gateway (the router generating the alarms)

Hello!

Disable any filter against UDP in the router packet inspection/filtering/QoS/whatever tool and keep your router firmware up to date. Note that we also support TCP but it would be a pity that you renounce to UDP, which is more efficient, for the requirements of a machine.

Under a more philosophical point of view, you should put yourself in a position for which machines do what you want, not the other way around.

Kind regards