Not connected, Your IP: 18.189.145.20
wintersnow

Can't connect openvpn for android on public wifi

Although I can connect to airvpn servers with openvpn for android over my home wifi network, I've not been able to connect to public wifi networks.  The public signals are strong enough for me to connect to sites and run apps without openvpn.  I've tried about six servers and they all time out on public networks but none do at home.

What's going on and is there any way to fix this, hopefully not too technical.

Thanks.

Although I can connect to airvpn servers with openvpn for android over my home wifi network, I've not been able to connect to public wifi networks.  The public signals are strong enough for me to connect to sites and run apps without openvpn.  I've tried about six servers and they all time out on public networks but none do at home.

What's going on and is there any way to fix this, hopefully not too technical.

Thanks.

What port and protocol are you trying?  If you haven't tried TCP 443 then do so.

If that doesn't work then it's probably refusing to resolve the domain name as part of their "security" system.  If you can edit the configs on the phone then do so with resolved hosts.  If you can't edit configs on the phone then re-install configs from the config generator with the resolved hosts option selected.

Thanks. I'm using UDP 443. I had read somewhere on the AirVPN site or forum that UDP was better than TCP when I created these configurations. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Thanks for checking up on me and your help.

I've been busy with other things so haven't set up a TCP connection yet.

But I did try a public Wi-Fi network with a very strong signal and my UDP connection worked on that.

When I get a chance I am going to set up the TCP and will report back. Sorry for the delay.

A question – is TCP a stronger connection then UDP or is it just a protocol that has fewer problems when connecting?

I finally figured this out.  It wasn't a problem with the openvpn connection, it was a problem with my understanding of logging into a public wifi network.  I thought I was connected when "you are connected to xy or z network" appeared in my wifi settings.  I didn't realize that I had to then log in to the network to make the connection and the way to find the web page where I could sign in was a link in my notifications. After much googling, once I understood this, the UDP connections worked fine. What can I say? I'm an old lady who is relatively new to smart phones.  Thanks again for your help.