Not connected, Your IP: 3.90.242.249
Sweden78

ANSWERED Slow internet speed with AirVPN in Sweden

Hi,,

I have been using AirVPN for two days now and I'm not really pleased with the Speed so far.

I'm using DD-WRT firmware in my home router and configured the OpenVPN client in the router, so all devices at my home network are using the VPN connection.

My internet speed at home is:

Downlink: 250 Mbit/s

Uplink: 100 Mbit/s

Ping to a server in Stockholm 1-2 ms.

When using AirVPN connected to the Swedish servers, I'm having a slowly 10-15 Mbit/s connection.

Changing from TCP settings to UDP settings doesn't really make a difference. Ping about 7 ms.

Connecting to the German AirVPN servers, the speed goes up to 30-35 Mbit/s in both directions.

Just a comparison with other VPN vendors which I have been testing an configured as OpenVPN client on my DD-WRT router.

ExpressVPN (connected to Swedish servers) ca. 70 Mbit/s in both directions.

NordVPN (connected to Swedish servers get up to 150 Mbit/s down and 100 Mbit/s uplink.

Huge difference here compared to the VPN servers used by AirVPN.

Checking the details a bit, I see that AirVPN is using servers located in the north of Stockholm (Uppsala / Åkersberga), connected to the ISP Kustbandet AB which is connected to IP-Only.

NordVPN is using for example Obenetwork AB for their VPN servers.

Or is there anything wrong the your instructions for the configuration of DD-WRT when using AirVPN?

Any comments on this?

Using a Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 with latest DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17) firmware.

Just did a new test today, after upgrading the firmware and rebooting the router.

Settings for NordVPN OpenVPN set in the router. Speed with VPN active is now equal to my ISP speed without VPN active.

6275830767.png

Sorry, but there's something wrong.  It's impossible for that router to do those speeds for openvpn.  The CPU just can't handle it.

My guess is that the speed test isn't actually using the VPN tunnel or the VPN tunnel isn't actually "up". 

It's no issue for this router.

Smallnetbuilder tested it with Linksys firmware and they got a routing performance of:

WAN to LAN = 809 Mbps

LAN to WAN = 696 Mbps

Simultaneously it can handle 1311 Mbps.

So with my ISP I'm only using 1/3 of the maximal possible pass-through speed. 

The connection is going through the VPN tunnel, otherwise I would see my real ISP's IP and name. I don't have Obenetwork as ISP. 

I have similar issues with AirVPN's swedish servers. They have unfortunately just selected an ISP with bad peering to most other Swedish isps.

For instance i get similar speeds to you with the Swedish servers but can max out my 100Mbit connection with the Netherlands servers. It doesn't matter which setup i use, the results are still the same.

It's no issue for this router.

Smallnetbuilder tested it with Linksys firmware and they got a routing performance of:

WAN to LAN = 809 Mbps

LAN to WAN = 696 Mbps

Simultaneously it can handle 1311 Mbps.

So with my ISP I'm only using 1/3 of the maximal possible pass-through speed. 

The connection is going through the VPN tunnel, otherwise I would see my real ISP's IP and name. I don't have Obenetwork as ISP. 

The linked test isn't going through openvpn client built into the router. The openvpn client in this router isn't capable of this performance as has already been stated. You would need to use an openvpn client on a computer via the router to see this performance.

The only other explanation that I can think of is that speedtest.net flash test seems to show abnormally high speeds sometimes if the VPN connection has LZO compression enabled.  It must be something about the data it sends.

Since AirVPN doesn't use compression it wouldn't show the false high speed.  But, I don't know if the other two tested use compression.

It's not just you. I get very poor speeds from Sweden despite the ping being very low, something is wrong with the AirVPN side there.

Try Latvia, Lithuania, Belgium or Netherlands, those all have somewhat decent ping and high throughputs.

Me too. 

Im very close to Sweden but I get crappy speeds. Strange

No biggie tho, like number2 mentioned there are plenty of servers that pretty much max my speed anyways

Latency and throughput is truly bad in the peak hours for the current Swedish servers. I just hope they at least will add a server in Denmark some day to at least offer a geographical choice in Scandinavia.

But never the less I am generally very happy with all the other servers and everything else with AirVPN.

I am another victim of Kustbandet. Their speeds are unforgivably slow, even when bandwidth usage is less than 10 %! Just change the server country to Switzerland or Lithuania and you will be getting great speeds.

@Sweden78

It seems that Kustbandet has now much better connections to other ISPs than before. Now I get maximum speeds with great stability at Uppsala servers as well.