Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.162.113
ragtime101

What payment information is retained?

Does anyone know what payment information is retained by AirVPN when a visa payment is processed via avangate?

Avangate asks for quite a lot of information but that is reasonable considering they process the payment, I'd like to know how much of that information is retained by AirVPN itself.

Thanks

I opened a ticket and got a reply:

Hello!

We never come to know the credit card number and the linked details such as name, address and anything else you transmit to Avangate or PayPal. We come to know the e-mail address (if entered) but we do not retain it.

We do retain for fiscal reasons (and even to be able to provide a refund if required) the transaction ID of the payment processor. Through it, only the payment processor, and not us, can retrieve the personal data you entered.

For an additional privacy layer in payments, please consider usage of some cryptocurrency (for example Bitcoin). We accept a wide variety of different cryptocoins.

Kind regards
AirVPN Support Team

Seems fairly good from a safety standpoint, since they don't process the transactions directly they retain very little information themselves, there will still be a trail, but assuming you aren't doing anything crazy which is going to put you in an intelligence agencies crosshairs a credit card payment seems to be an okay option.

Hello![/size]

We never come to know the credit card number and the linked details such as name, address and anything else you transmit to Avangate or PayPal. We come to know the e-mail address (if entered) but we do not retain it.[/size]

We need to partially fix the support team statement here, we're sorry. Some of the data you enter, including the name, but NOT including the credit card number, is transmitted by the credit card processor to the Air management only (and not to employees or other persons, obviously).

Kind regards

Hello![/size]

We never come to know the credit card number and the linked details such as name, address and anything else you transmit to Avangate or PayPal. We come to know the e-mail address (if entered) but we do not retain it.[/size]

We need to partially fix the support team statement here, we're sorry. Some of the data you enter, including the name, but NOT including the credit card number, is transmitted by the credit card processor to the Air management only (and not to employees or other persons, obviously).

Kind regards

Hello!

Thank you Staff. How long do you usually retain that information? Just wondering if there was some sort of minimum or maximum.

I assume Air will be beholden to the new GDPR rules coming up anyhow.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

We never come to know the credit card number and the linked details such as name, address and anything else you transmit to Avangate or PayPal. We come to know the e-mail address (if entered) but we do not retain it.

We do retain for fiscal reasons (and even to be able to provide a refund if required) the transaction ID of the payment processor. Through it, only the payment processor, and not us, can retrieve the personal data you entered.

For an additional privacy layer in payments, please consider usage of some cryptocurrency (for example Bitcoin). We accept a wide variety of different cryptocoins.

Kind regards

AirVPN Support Team

Seems fairly good from a safety standpoint, since they don't process the transactions directly they retain very little information themselves, there will still be a trail, but assuming you aren't doing anything crazy which is going to put you in an intelligence agencies crosshairs a credit card payment seems to be an okay option.

where money is concerned, doesn't matter if its credit card or bitcoin, there is always some type of trail somewhere and its just a matter of finding the right bread crumb. Bitcoin doesn't really protect the user despite the implication or inference that it does, it just obscures the trail more but when that one breadcrumb is found it can open up the trail that leads back to the user and its happened on more than one occasion. If you are paying for a legitimate product, and the entity you purchase from has solid privacy protection measures in place for data gathering and retention (like AirVPN for example) there is usually nothing to worry about and a credit card works just as well and no one is going to come knocking on your door about it. And, like you said, don't do anything crazy, or stupid, that puts you in the cross hairs of Law Enforcement or intelligence agencies then no one will come looking for the bread crumbs that lead back to you.