Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.226.105
cschell

Torrents work but only when I start them before connecting to airvpn

I have used airvpn for a while now and have always downloaded torrents just fine. Now torrents won't start while connected to the vpn, but they still work as long as I start them prior to connecting. I am using Torrent on a Mac and have not changed anything that I know of. Any help would be appreciated, I searched but couldn't find anything.

Try other torrent clients first.

I'm using a Synology server and there's only one client.. aside from side installing one.  I'll try that on a Win box and see if there's any difference.

thx

OK, I installed a different torrent client (qBittorrent) on a Win box and the same problem happens. The torrent won't start when connected to an AirVPN server.

If I start the torrent first and then connect to AirVPN it works. This is obviously risky and defeats the purpose of using a VPN in this instance.  I've connected to two servers in Dallas and one each in LA and Fremont CA.

Any thoughts?

I will start the application before I connect on airvpn, before I start any of the torrents themselves.  You can see on the bottom where it says DHT: and then a number of nodes.  Once it has some nodes listed, usually ~150, you can activate the vpn.  For whatever reason, DHT does not like to populate over a VPN, but once it gets started, it does just fine.

I will start the application before I connect on airvpn, before I start any of the torrents themselves.  You can see on the bottom where it says DHT: and then a number of nodes.  Once it has some nodes listed, usually ~150, you can activate the vpn.  For whatever reason, DHT does not like to populate over a VPN, but once it gets started, it does just fine.

works for me and I think most people.  else there would be a lot more complaints about it.

We need to know what kind of torrent you try to start. Also, OpenVPN log output would help with getting to know your setup.

And I most certainly don't have to tell you, Mr. blaqriegn, that you successfully hijacked Mr. cschell's thread. My question way directed at him, really. But, well, here we are...

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

And I most certainly don't have to tell you, Mr. blaqriegn, that you successfully hijacked Mr. cschell's thread. My question way directed at him, really. But, well, here we are...

And, which question was that exactly?

I posted 2 days after the OP with the same problem, how is that hijacking? Should I have started a new thread with the exact same issue? Seems like that would be a waste of forum space, imo.

Try other torrent clients first.

Your comment above was a few days after mine and you did not identify who this was for, so again, how is my reply hijacking?

Maybe you should clarify who the recipient of your statements are aimed for, before accusing someone of hijacking a thread that is still on topic, right?

Should I have started a new thread with the exact same issue?

That's exactly what you should've done. Because this thread was started by person A, person A hopes to resolve it for him/herself, based on his/her setup and configuration. I cannot imagine person B, C, D and so on having the exact same setup as person A. We just found out you are connecting via a Synology NAS, a rare setup, different from workstations, which is most likely not OP's. That alone is reason enough to open new threads and link to other threads which helped you further.

Your comment above was a few days after mine and you did not identify who this was for, so again, how is my reply hijacking?

Nope, I didn't. I could've, you are right.. buuut it's still hijacking. Topics belong to their OPs, they are also the only ones who can mark a thread as solved, apart from moderators and higher. If your issue gets solved but not OP's, is he/she going to mark it as solved? Certainly not.

Also, if you open a thread for your issue, you can get help for your issue exclusively (until, of course, someone comes and posts "I have the same issue, help", trying to steal the thread from you. ).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.