Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.61.16
Sign in to follow this  
spikey1973

port forwarding questions after reading sticky

hello, 

as the title says i have a question on port forwarding even after i read the sticky on "remote port forwarding"

my personal situation is the following. 

1) bbox3 as public internet router / modem, connecting to either wifi (public) and tp-link router via lan(1) to wan. 

2) tp-link router, connecting to.. 

3) Nas on lan(1) of the tp-link router running airvpn and ubuntu laptop NOT running airvpn

before i ran airvpn i had external excess via local port-forwarding on the router. 

the router is still running factory firm-ware and i'm a bit weary on putting on other firmware. 

now what i'm confused about is mainly this part in the "remote port forwarding" topic. 

IMPORTANT: However, if you connect a router (for example DD-WRT, Tomato based firmware router) an additional step is required, please see https://airvpn.org/topic/9270-how-to-forward-ports-in-dd-wrt-tomato-with-iptables/

as i did connect a router.. but a router nut running air-vpn. so do i need to forward ports in the router via iptables, or don't i. 

this is rather important as i will need to put on tomato or dd-wrt ifso, but i'd rather not if there is no need for it as at the moment it does not give me extra functionality and i'm not informed enought to make a well educated choice in why to pick what router firmware. 

Kind regards 

Matthieu

Short answer is no, you don't need to port forward on your router if running the VPN client on your NAS. You will probably find this out immediately when you try running the server software.

The reason you need to do so when using the VPN client on the router is because of the built in firewall, I believe.