Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.140.108
kiteboywales

Virgin 200Mb - Lucky if I get 10Mb Various Configs

Hi guys

For me so far Airvpn is unusable on virgnmedia anway - ive had air for a month or so and as yet Ive had awful experience (slow speeds)

I think its probably Virgin doing somehing to cause this

Im using a Asus AC-68U with the latest Merlin release - Ive tried various openvpn configs and applied on the router so the whole house is protected

Just checked speeds on speedtest and got 220Mb before any config was applied

After using the config generator with UDP 443, UDP 80, UDP Alternative 80 and trying those config seperately and using the appropriate DNS for each Im lucky if I get 10Mb on speed test and on large newsgroup downloads too

This is using the Europe server option (as recommended in the generator)

I dont want to use the client if I can help it and would rather apply on the router so I cant do the SSL option as in the slow speeds on virginmedia guide that Ive seen on here

Any advice anyone??

Thanks

Hi guys

For me so far Airvpn is unusable on virgnmedia anway - ive had air for a month or so and as yet Ive had awful experience (slow speeds)

I think its probably Virgin doing somehing to cause this

Im using a Asus AC-68U with the latest Merlin release - Ive tried various openvpn configs and applied on the router so the whole house is protected

Just checked speeds on speedtest and got 220Mb before any config was applied

After using the config generator with UDP 443, UDP 80, UDP Alternative 80 and trying those config seperately and using the appropriate DNS for each Im lucky if I get 10Mb on speed test and on large newsgroup downloads too

This is using the Europe server option (as recommended in the generator)

I dont want to use the client if I can help it and would rather apply on the router so I cant do the SSL option as in the slow speeds on virginmedia guide that Ive seen on here

Any advice anyone??

Thanks

Routers have notoriously slow CPU's, that alone could be your problem.

I have also heard Virgin is a shitty ISP. Possible that throttling is occurring on their end, so SSL 443 might yield better results.

You could try a different router, however it's far easier just to use the client locally, but to each his own. 

Hi

I personally get the best performance from the servers in the Netherlands - using the Europe option may connect you to slower, more distant servers (e.g. Latvia, Romania). It might be worth you experimenting with a few - just change the remote host to one of the following and test to see if it makes a difference for you (Romania is slowest for me but I didn't try Latvia yet).

• nl.vpn.airdns.org (Netherlands)
  • be.vpn.airdns.org (Belgium)
  • de.vpn.airdns.org (Germany)
  • ro.vpn.airdns.org (Romania)

I agree with the previous poster.. it could be that you've run into a limitation of your router's CPU. Encryption/decryption takes a lot of CPU cycles. What speed do you get through a VPN directly from a high-spec machine? Can you view the CPU utilisation on the router?

• I have an Atom D525 based server acting as a VPN gateway. On a "good day" my server can manage about 100Mbit/s of REAL traffic (bittorrent + http) via the tunnel, but that maxes out one virtual core of a dual-core 1.8GHz Atom D525. I can't get anything like that speed through speedtest.net which gives me about 40-45Mbit/s for a wired, and 60-65Mbit/s for a wireless client through the VPN gateway (CPU virtual core at approximately 50% in both cases).
  • On a VPN direct from a PC, bypassing the server I can get 200-210 Mbit/s.

I also have Virgin as my ISP, and I'm pretty sure they don't throttle VPN excessively, but they have had a few network issues in my area recently so performance with/without VPN has been variable. Are you sure you're not also suffering from intermittent Internet issues? I'm in Area 03 CR5.

I hope this has been helpful.

Hello!

Just so that it's mentioned, there's a guide for it:

https://airvpn.org/topic/17378-how-to-fix-connection-drops-and-bandwidth-issues-with-virgin-media-while-using-airvpn/?p=39996

Otherwise referenced in my new user guide too, along with others.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I'm also a Virgin 200Mb customer and have no problems at all with it. I recommend LZ1's link as there is a lot of info on setting up Virgin in it. Fastest servers for me are the nearest ones, in my case the Manchester ones especially Asterope and Naos.  As you are using a router have you set your Virgin Superhub to Modem mode. I used to have a Buffalo DD-WRT loaded router but had to take it out as it was causing a bottleneck in my speed. You can read the post on this in LZ1's link. Good luck.