Not connected, Your IP: 54.198.45.0
whiskey_76

ipleak test two dns addresses?

I always test the vpn and I always connect with network lock on with linux. Today I noticed something really weird. their are two dns addresses. One is the airvpn dns address and the other one looks completely different but is the same country. Is this something new? Normally I only have one ip address from airvpn and one dns address...

It's an IPv6 address. I'm getting that too, even with IPv6 disabled on all adapters. They must have fired up IPv6 dns servers on all of the servers. This is probably in preparation for IPv6 aupport which is coming soon.

Hello!

It's a side effect of our increasing support to IPv6. Now ipleak.net authoritative DNS will reply to IPv6 queries. ipleak.net maintainer is going to update the IPv6 database as soon as possible to show which IPv6 addresses are assigned to our servers.

Kind regards

This result is surprising to me too.  I use a debian host and ALL ipv6 is completely disabled at root/boot.  There is no chance for my system to use ipv6, but still the two dns show up?  I checked from this VM, which is NAT'd to the host.  I'll make a note to hit ipleak from the host when I shut down later.  Betting the results will be the same.  Confuses me that I still see anything IPV6 on this machine.  Hmmmmm??

This result is surprising to me too.  I use a debian host and ALL ipv6 is completely disabled at root/boot.  There is no chance for my system to use ipv6, but still the two dns show up?  I checked from this VM, which is NAT'd to the host.  I'll make a note to hit ipleak from the host when I shut down later.  Betting the results will be the same.  Confuses me that I still see anything IPV6 on this machine.  Hmmmmm??

Don't worry.

DNS request when connected to a VPN server (without a DNS leak condition) are sent to an AirVPN DNS server (the server itself) within the IPv4 tunnel.

DNS server receives the request, and performs the resolution (Recursion) with IPv4 OR IPv6, it doesn't matter for users.

You don't have any IPv6 leak.

Don't worry.

DNS request when connected to a VPN server (without a DNS leak condition) are sended to an AirVPN DNS server (the server itself) within the IPv4 tunnel.

DNS server receive the request, and perform the resolution (Recursion) with IPv4 OR IPv6, doesn't matter for users.

You don't have any IPv6 leak.

Clodo/Staff,

Thank you for the response.  I knew I didn't have any dns leak.  Where my question was coming up is how anything IPV6 was showing up.  After your explanation it now makes sense.  At some point in the future I will likely allow for IPV6 as needs increase.  For now though, IPV6 scares the crap out of me where total privacy is my objective.

Hello!

It's a side effect of our increasing support to IPv6. Now ipleak.net authoritative DNS will reply to IPv6 queries. ipleak.net maintainer is going to update the IPv6 database as soon as possible to show which IPv6 addresses are assigned to our servers.

Kind regards

But why do ipv6 when in eddie settings i have it to disable ipv6. Shouldn't the network lock block the ipv6 requests in that case? 

I'm not sure everyone is understanding what ipleak.net is actually reporting when it is showing AirVPN's ipv6 DNS address.  You aren't leaking ipv6.  The server is responding to the DNS request.

If you doubt that, compare the results from the following websites:

ipleak.net

ipv6leak.com

test-ipv6.com

That third site explains what is going on:  "Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have ipv6 internet access."  Well we know its NOT our ISP, we know it is AirVPN's DNS Server.  It's what is responding to the ipv6 query, not anything locally on your end.  Your ipv6 is still properly disabled.  

But they aren't going to disable ipv6 on the whole server just because your local settings disallow its use.

I have noticed this too.  When Air enables IPv6 will we magically be able to make use of it without any extra configuration, execpt maybe ticking a check box??

I've been seeing the same thing, but in my case, I have selected a VPN server in one country, and the ipv6 DNS server I see on ipleak is my home country.

How can I be sure this isn't a DNS leak?

EDIT ipleak.net says the ipv6 address is not an AirVPN exit node.

I've been seeing the same thing, but in my case, I have selected a VPN server in one country, and the ipv6 DNS server I see on ipleak is my home country.

How can I be sure this isn't a DNS leak?

EDIT ipleak.net says the ipv6 address is not an AirVPN exit node.

You can't be sure 100%, we're sorry. This problem will be fixed very soon by ipleak maintainer.

Kind regards

But if it is a DNS leak, then the problem isn't with ipleak.net.

Just to add: I am also seeing mention of "M247". (I can't now see this here but perhaps it was mentioned on the other thread.)

I hypothesize that this is an organization that has servers in more than one country, used as airvpn exit nodes,  some or all of which are using an ipv6 DNS server in a different country.

Again, whether or not that is intended or desirable, if it is right, presumably nothing that is done on ipleak will make any difference.

That's correct.  M247 is one of AirVPNs major datacenter companies, with exit nodes in many countries.

I'm seeing this again this morning, after a day or two of being connected to a non-M247 server.

Please could someone from AirVPN give an indication about whether this is a problem or not, and what will be done?

In fact, in at least one sense, it is a problem, because I am seeing a UK ipv6 DNS server, but chose a non-UK server for the config. But the concern about a possible DNS leak is more pressing.

Hello to all,

I have experienced this same symptom on a pfsense system with ipv6 totally disabled. The interesting thing was that my exit node is in USA  and the 2nd address was ipv6 reported in Poland. I was obviously concerned and was able to change my Ip address with my isp and now ipleak only shows the address of my exit node. I guess the issue is resolved here. Maybe.

people, disabling IPv6 on your system doesn't matter.  what you're seeing is the ipv6 address of the DNS server.  Then there is confusion from old/incorrect geolocation databases.  Staff have already said they will get it fixed.  Just be patient and try some other DNS leak services just to make sure.

But it is not in the same country as the exit node - the ipv6 DNS shows as UK. I understand that this is not a DNS leak, but it means I have partially lost the ability to control which country I appear to be in.

M247 obviously has infrastructure in more than one country.

But it is not in the same country as the exit node - the ipv6 DNS shows as UK. I understand that this is not a DNS leak, but it means I have partially lost the ability to control which country I appear to be in.

M247 obviously has infrastructure in more than one country.

GeoIP databases, especially IPv6 ones, is not something that can be fixed, it's a large work in progress that will possible take years.

Especially with the huge amount of assignments and reallocations that take place every day.

Your suggestion was about fixing, so there is nothing to be fixed on Air's side or IPLeak's side, since it's based on Maxmind's GeoIP DB.

They do accept corrections, but the IP space PA provider itself has to work with them on that, using this form:

https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/

They don't always respond and don't always correct. But that's the only available option.

Sometimes they accept requests from 3d parties (if you specify the correct noc@ address) in that form, but it's always a "send and wait" kind of thing.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

So what you mean is, the M247 ipv6 DNS server that IPleak is reporting as being in the UK actually isn't, it's just incorrectly recorded as such in the database you mention?

I think I could be forgiven, based on the posts above, for not realizing this.

That's correct. The AirVPN servers are running local (local to the server) ipv4 and ipv6 DNS servers, so they are always at the same location as the server.  The ipv6 address you are looking at is just mis-labeled as being in the wrong country by whatever GeoIP database ipleak.net uses at this time.