8 replies to this topic

#1 Anon1475963

Anon1475963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

Hi;

Just started using AirVPN couple of days a go and have been reading forums and googeling answers to my problems, but:

My torrenting speed is very low. I started with 50Kb/s and by fixing all I could find I was able to get up to 200-600Kb/s to download. Upload is always little bit higher(?).

If I close my torrent client, speed is back up to 20-30Mb/s. About normal what I get. I have tried with different clients (uTorrnet and qBittorrent) and no difference. No restrictons for download speed on client.

So far I tried also to:

- connecting to different servers and countries

- using different protocols

- Increase buffer size to 256k

- I have forwarded port for the client

I also tried to change systemsetup to obtain DNS server automaticly, but had to change it back after I found out my DNS was leaking and had to set it to fixed Comodo server. This how ever didn´t have any effect to torrenting speed. Relating to DNS leak problem, I have Network Lock on and I fixed the WebRTC detection problem on my Firefox problem but still DNS was leaking. This was the only way I was able to fix it as I didn´t understand the instructions on DNSleaktest.com

Any advise what to try next? Could it still be that my ISP is slowing me down?

Spoiler

#2 lizze

lizze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

Got the same problem, I have really low torrent speed around started at 20-30 kb and eventually up to 450kb mark. I am using utorrent too. Without VPN I usually have 2-8mb download speed

I've tried servers in Netherlands and Sweden, same result. These servers were on 9-17% so not max capacity

Joined AirVpn today for a 3 days test run but if I can't torrent then I wont renew.

#3 LZ1

LZ1

It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Moderators
  • 1953 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hello!

You could both check my new user guide and find guides to torrenting in it.

OP your issue is related to the TAP driver, if memory serves. So download the Beta client please.

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

#4 rustintimberlake

rustintimberlake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

If you use Windows 7, try this method too... Increase bandwidth by disabling QoS in Windows 7

#5 ~Daniel~

~Daniel~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

I recently switched from another VPN service.  While I was trialing a few different VPN's, I noticed many were downloading more slowly than what I had been accustomed too.  However I noticed some things:

• I was having some upload/tracker issues that were finally resolved by switching to Tixati as my bt client (had used Deluge for quite a while, but tried out Transmission, and ultimately settled on Tixati)... speeds are going to suck if your uploads are disabled
    • ​Tixati also worked well with my Air VPN Port Forward, which also helped my uploading
  • ​The majority of my high downloading rates were coming from one (or a few) really good peers... what guarantees are there that one of these amazing peers will be allocated to you in the bt client?  I'm no tracker/peer expert... but I think it's a bit of a lottery sometimes... and my download speed fluctuates with the peers that are either assigned to me (or that I am able to handshake with at the moment)
    • ​I can't see how AirVPN would control this, but there may be some settings in the bt client that could help... but I'm not expert enough to know for sure
    • ​One thing I played with was a BlockList... it dropped lots of peers and even entire trackers... certainly must have played a role in my connections/peers/bandwidth
  • Do you cap your download speed in the bt client at all?  I recall learning that ​too much upload can saturate the connection and severely hamper your downloading (Google upload saturation)... I typically cap my upload to 50Kb/s... it may be able to handle more, but I want to ensure downloading is priority.

​In short, I suspect the randomness of peers assigned to me by the trackers (multiple configurations can impact these) to explain my downloading experience form one torrent to another... can someone prove this thought incorrect?

​I suspect my thoughts to be true because even if I've lost the lottery and my bt download is 300-1000Kb/s... I can still fire up Ookla SpeedTest on my desktop and confirm I can still see successful 20-30Mb speedtests within the same AirVPN connection.

​EDIT: I did a little test...

Spoiler

​Even though I think this test proves there is more to d/l speed than your VPN settings/provider... what still confuses me is that each D/L had 20-30 D/L connections established... but 2/3 (or more) were idle, 2-3 connections were offering the bulk of the speed, and the rest were all under 100B/s... basically useless.  Not sure why 30 connections boiled down to 2-3 good connections.  maybe the lottery is deeper than I thought?

#6 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

The majority of my high downloading rates were coming from one (or a few) really good peers... what guarantees are there that one of these amazing peers will be allocated to you in the bt client?  I'm no tracker/peer expert... but I think it's a bit of a lottery sometimes... and my download speed fluctuates with the peers that are either assigned to me (or that I am able to handshake with at the moment)

To answer this question, you'd need to read up yourself on how distributed file sharing works, especially how the BitTorrent protocol works. No, there are no allocations. Some clients are behind a mobile connection, some are fully-featured seedboxes with download/upload speeds over 100 Mb. Some algorithms behind BitTorrent might find a peer to be "good" and decide to prioritize it. By doing so other peers' priority will of course be lowered. :)

​In short, I suspect the randomness of peers assigned to me by the trackers (multiple configurations can impact these) to explain my downloading experience form one torrent to another... can someone prove this thought incorrect?

Also read up on what trackers are for. They don't assign shit. :)

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#7 ~Daniel~

~Daniel~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Also read up on what trackers are for. They don't assign shit. :)

I think I found some useful details on Wikipedia...

A BitTorrent tracker is a special type of server, one that assists in the communication between peers using the BitTorrent protocol. In peer-to-peer file sharing, a software client on an end-user PC requests a file, and portions of the requested file residing on peer machines are sent to the client, and then reassembled into a full copy of the requested file. The "tracker" server keeps track of where file copies reside on peer machines, which ones are available at time of the client request, and helps coordinate efficient transmission and reassembly of the copied file. Clients that have already begun downloading a file communicate with the tracker periodically to negotiate faster file transfer with new peers, and provide network performance statistics; however, after the initial peer-to-peer file download is started, peer-to-peer communication can continue without the connection to a tracker. Since the creation of the distributed hash table (DHT) method for "Trackerless" torrents, BitTorrent trackers have largely become redundant, however, they are still often included with torrents to improve the speed of peer discovery.

I did try an experiment where I removed the trackers from a newly queued torrent (magnetic link) in my d/l client.  I did successfully establish links with peers and started downloading without the trackers, but not as many peers were found as I was used to seeing.  I let it go for a bit, then stopped to restore the trackers... end result, many more peer links were established with the trackers. However, this was only one test, but tells me trackers do mean something still today; although assigning was the wrong description.  Facilitate, perhaps?

#8 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

Facilitate sounds more accurate. Trackers help with peer discovery by transmitting active peer lists and gather statistics about speeds and parts, that's why some trackers are able to calculate a ratio. DHT (the trackerless thing) works with algorithms to discover neighbors who know neighbors who know neighbors and so on, so that you have a list of peers in the end with which your client can work.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#9 ociredef

ociredef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

hi guys

sorry for my eng

.... i've try tu do all. but my connetion in torrent DL id 30 k max -UL i yhink it's ok

whay please?

p.s. ci fosse qualcuno che parla italiano sarebbe perfetto magari :P