Not connected, Your IP: 44.210.240.31
fafouine232

ANSWERED Problem accessing service with port forwarding and DDNS

Hello, I have a http file server (HFS) running on my Windows PC and I need to access it from the web. I can't find a way to make it work and I'm starting to worry because I precisely chose airvpn in order to be able to forward ports.

Here's what I did (infos are fictional) :

Forwarded port 12345 on the Forwarded ports page. I entered a DDNS name, let's say "myserver", so it should be accessible from myserver.airdns.org

In the service, I set the port to 12345 so the service will listen on that port. Service is running. SelfTest says the server is working fine and is connected.

I was forwarding the port 12345 on my router so I stopped doing that to prevent correlation attacks.

My router was updating DDNS from no-ip, so I stopped that too (was that necessary? do I absolutely need to use airdns to make it work?)

I told my service that my ip is myserver.airdns.org and not a numbered ip like 255.255.255.255

I still cannot access my server when connected to the vpn. It's working just fine without the vpn.

I tried to access with the airdns address and on my external address but it can't connect. I tried it on different pc in different locations.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks for your help!

Hello!

We can reach your service (well, we did not pass the authentication, but that's not important :) ). Everything seems configured correctly: we reached it even using your *.airdns.org name.

Notes: probably useless to say that your forwarded port is not 12345, but just in case... check the listening port (when you try to access the service from the outside). Also remember that you can't access a service behind some VPN server from any device connected to that same VPN server.

Kind regards

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I don't know how you managed to access the authentification pop-up because I can't.

I can't access it from my cellphone, let's say in a restaurant. It also doesn't work on my computer at my job. My friends can't connect to it neither.

I'm trying with my DDNS address *.airdns.org and it loads for a long time before saying "This site can't be reached".

Of course, my forwarded port is not 12345 I'm using the port as shown on my Forarded ports page.

And also, I'm not behind any vpn when trying to connect. For example, my cellphone on LTE+ network doesn't use a vpn.

I'm shocked that you can access the authentification popup because I've never seen it since I'm behind the vpn...

If you take your cellphone and input my *.airdns.org, you see it right away???

Many thanks again

fafouine232

Hello,

I'm shocked that you can access the authentification popup because I've never seen it since I'm behind the vpn...

If you take your cellphone and input my *.airdns.org, you see it right away???

Many thanks again

fafouine232

Hello,

the problem must be in how you and your friends try to access the service. How do you do it?

We did it without problems, as we told you, at .airdns.org:

You should have seen two unauthorized access attempts from user "airvpnwashere" in your service logs.

Kind regards

Problem solved!

I didn't know that I have to input the port in the address.

For example, I can access my server on "myserver.airdns.org:12345"

Thank you very much, You have been very helpful.

Airvpn seems to be the only VPN service able to redirect ports. Really good service!!

fafouine232