Not connected, Your IP: 52.14.85.76
Vimes

New to VPN's - concerned with performance......

Hi

I did have a three days trial and then, due to still going through a learning curve, I extended that to buying three months usage. 

I have managed to flash my router (Nighthawk R7000) with the latest AsusWRT-Merlin firmware and all is well when configured to use the OpenVPN method of config and connection. I have even been able to setup policy rules to separate connections through he VPN or not as I wish by IP address - so good so far.

BUT....

Regardless of connecting via the above method or using the stable or latest beta of the Eddie client I find that I get terrible performance when using my regular NTTP service.

Here are my speed results when connected by the latest beta of Eddie and using UDP 443 as recommended....

Air_speed.jpg

Down: 19.236 Mbit/s Out, 18.980 Mbit/s In (98%), 20MB - Up: 16.291 Mbit/s Out, 14.726 Mbit/s In (90%), 20MB - Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 10:44:51 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 65.36 secs

Noting the above there is no real difference regardless of using the stable or beta client and the ports or server choices do not seem to make this any better. Using the router configured with OpenVPN makes no difference.

This seems to relate well to my findings when I am downloading from my NTTP service.....

speed.jpg

as you can see from the above using UDP port 443 or port 80 makes no difference. The speed goes from very low to at most 2MB/s, or thereabouts. Turning off the VPN and I get my usual speeds of around 7.30MB/s.
I have tried changing the ports that my NTTP service uses from 119 to 80 and still the same.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, whilst the NTTP traffic is so very slow, similar to the AirVPN speed results, the actual speedtest from www.speedtest.net shows....

Speedtest_net_by_Ookla_The_Global_Broadb

the above is using the latest Eddie beta client and below is using no VPN....

Speedtest_net_by_Ookla_The_Global_Broadb

So could anyone please give me a little help here to understand why my NTTP speeds are so poor relative to when not using a VPN...? When I do not use a VPN my speeds are flatlined at 7.30MB/s for all the time that I use it. It never seems to vary by much, unless I'm doing something else with the connection, in other words it maxes out my line.

But when using the VPN as noted above I have not been able to enjoy anything close to half of what I would normally get.

I am using Windows 10 x64, not sure if anything else is relevant...?

Thanks

Yes I tried several VPN servers - either using the client and checking their load and ping etc, which was good for both accounts.

I did this with the latest Eddie client.

I have a mix of 2 different. both premium, NNTP providers. I have a total of 18 connections, the last 6 from one provider is only used for fills as required. One of the NTTP providers has both EU and US servers, I am trying both.

I will create an account and test one of those you suggested, thanks for that.

When I tested port 119 or 80 for my NTTP content I then tried 443 or 563 for SSL testing, no difference.

Thanks for the suggestion about Eweka as a NNTP provider.....

eweka.jpg

....any ideas as to why Supernews, both for their EU and US servers seem to be an issue when I am using a VPN...?

There is little point in me trying Tweaknews as that is just for fills.

Without the VPN Supernews is and always has been a solid 7.30MB/s and I have never had issues with their service. But with the VPN up and going the connection is really slow, as you can see.

I am trying to sign up and test Pure Usenet now.

Pure Usenet....

Pure_Usenet.png

also solid and good.