Photo

Port forwarding issues

port forwarding openvpn for android usb tethering cricket wireless mobile windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FireJ1

FireJ1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

Hi all,

I recently went from 1Mbps service to using my cricket wireless via usb tethering which is 8Mbps (not fast but best i can get where i am). I want to use AirVPN to hide the fact that I am tethering since on the "unlimited" plan they don't let you tether (I am not rooted but am using Foxfi to bypass this). my problem is that I have downloaded OpenVPN for android and installed it on my phone while following the instructions on this site, but have no knowledge of how to port forward anything, the few instructions I have tried to follow as well as multiple google searches have produced nothing but aggravation, I'm sure it's something very simple that I'm not doing or configuring correctly. Any kind of assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:55 AM

I want to use AirVPN to hide the fact that I am tethering

Depends on your carrier whether this is effective. If your carrier uses TTL analysis or OS/TCP fingerprinting to identify tethering, OpenVPN will not help you here. Wouldn't surprise me if they applied some form of tethering detection. :D

What ports do you want to forward, and for what?

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#3 FireJ1

FireJ1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

There are a couple gaming servers for online gaming as well as some torrents I would like to be able to download. The other issue I'm having is I'm not sure if I should leave the VPN on my phone or use the program on my desktop.

#4 zhang888

zhang888

Donald Trump of IT/Security

• Moderators
  • 2219 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

Since Android is your routing gateway, you will need something like this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elixsr.portforwarder

Or just use the terminal and iptables syntax.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

#5 FireJ1

FireJ1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

Since Android is your routing gateway, you will need something like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elixsr.portforwarder

Ok thank you.