2 replies to this topic

#1 bumbleb33

bumbleb33

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

Hi,

Like it says in the documentation, and as is usual, upon the first connection to a ssh server to open a ssh tunnel, the authenticity via the ECDSA key fingerprint is stated. The documentation says to just accept it. But this is dangerous as it allows any intermediate to open a MITM attack.

So please compile a list of all servers (with their IPs) and their fingerprints so we can match them on the first connection.

Thanks!

#2 zhang888

zhang888

Donald Trump of IT/Security

• Moderators
  • 2205 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:32 AM

The documentation says to just accept it. But this is dangerous as it allows any intermediate to open a MITM attack.

Not really.

Both SSL/SSH tunnels are there for the traffic pattern and not for any additional security.

An attacker with an SSL/SSH MITM will not be able to decrypt your OpenVPN encryption.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

#3 bumbleb33

bumbleb33

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

The documentation says to just accept it. But this is dangerous as it allows any intermediate to open a MITM attack.

Not really.

Both SSL/SSH tunnels are there for the traffic pattern and not for any additional security.

An attacker with an SSL/SSH MITM will not be able to decrypt your OpenVPN encryption.

Yes you're right, I figured that too after posting my request.

Before I posted, I thought that AirVPN also supports ssh tunneling or opening a SOCKS server via ssh -D instead of just being an intermediate via port forwarding for the openvpn client.

ssh SOCKS server support would be a cool feature, any chance airvpn might add that?