Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationThe Fiery Pits of Texas, USA.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

Could you share what the command was?

Erm.. it was a move command. :D

mv -v /path/to/old/ffprofile.name /home/username/.mozilla/firefox/ffprofile.name

In profiles.ini, change the profile name to the one you just moved. The next time you start firefox you'll have your settings, bookmarks and everything else back to how you left it when you last worked with this profile. :)

Well, I must have had some messed up settings due to one or more of the many extensions I have installed in Firefox on Windows. I did all this and it simply would not work in Linux for some reason.

Nonetheless, I thank you for sharing. (I was hoping there was a command I did not know about that might fix this next time I need to copy one of my profiles over.) But as I am now using Waterfox on Windows, I suspect it may not be possible to copy or merge profiles with Firefox on Linux. Oh well. It is still worth the trouble. :D

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

#22 Ekō

Ekō

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:42 AM

I use Google Chrome because it's fast, aesthetically appealing, and pretty customizable with a friendly interface.

Until discovering the world of VPNs, I wasn't aware people were SO concerned about privacy...

Is there any reason NOT to use Google Chrome if and should I be concerned with what Google might do with my information?

#23 LZ1

LZ1

It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:19 AM

I use Google Chrome because it's fast, aesthetically appealing, and pretty customizable with a friendly interface.

Until discovering the world of VPNs, I wasn't aware people were SO concerned about privacy...

Is there any reason NOT to use Google Chrome if and should I be concerned with what Google might do with my information?

Yes there's a reason. There's many really. But the importance of all of this privacy/security stuff really comes down to the personal preferences of each individual.

As for concerned, yes, be extremely concerned, if the thought of a private corporation that spans the globe has and shares access to your information with any number of governments, agencies and subsidiaries, wherein you have little control over how it's shared, for how long and not least secured,  makes you uneasy, then yes, be concerned and do something about it :).

Privacy is extremely important. It's fast becoming a rarer and rarer commodity.

You can read up on how to improve your privacy, if you wish :). Plenty links in my guide too.

Open This Spoiler If: A Website Is Blocked, You Want To Help AirVPN, Find The Beta/Experimental Client Or You're A New User Wanting Help/Information

Spoiler

Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me if you want me to index it in my new user guide, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

#24 Minister of truthiness

Minister of truthiness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe Memory Hole

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:46 AM

What LZ1 said. : )

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. --George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the Amerikan public. (Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken)

Thank you: Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; Thomas Drake; John Kiriakou; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; RT; The Intercept

#25 Treiberschreiber

Treiberschreiber

:() { :|: & }; :

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

But as I am now using Waterfox on Windows, I suspect it may not be possible to copy or merge profiles with Firefox on Linux.

By the way, I'm coming from Waterfox on Windows. No single error there, could use the profile as if I always worked on Linux with it.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs is the proper way to heaven.
Same issues are rare! Search for solutions and if not successful open your own threads.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

#26 OmniNegro

OmniNegro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

But as I am now using Waterfox on Windows, I suspect it may not be possible to copy or merge profiles with Firefox on Linux.

By the way, I'm coming from Waterfox on Windows. No single error there, could use the profile as if I always worked on Linux with it.

Well, as I said, I suspect the numerous extensions I have in use made my profile unusable on Linux. Perhaps if I made a list of those extensions and installed them on FF in Linux it would become compatible. But I solved the problem by just remaking a Linux profile with only the important things.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

#27 pr1v

pr1v

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

Anyone using "Brave" browser and opinions?, It's opensource and has many options to block adds, even completely if you want, and with https everywhere. I hope their words are true: https://www.brave.com/FAQ.html

#28 jean claud

jean claud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

I'm using Pale Moon with these about:config modifications + some others I don't remember privacy.trackingprotection.enabled = true This is Mozilla’s new built in tracking protection. geo.enabled = false Disables geolocation. browser.safebrowsing.phishing.enabled = false Disable Google Safe Browsing and phishing protection. Security risk, but privacy improvement. browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled = false Disable Google Safe Browsing malware checks. Security risk, but privacy improvement. dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled = false Disable that websites can get notifications if you copy, paste, or cut something from a web page, and it lets them know which part of the page had been selected. network.cookie.cookieBehavior = 1 Disable cookies 0 = Accept all cookies by default 1 = Only accept from the originating site (block third party cookies) 2 = Block all cookies by default network.cookie.lifetimePolicy = 2 cookies are deleted at the end of the session 0 = Accept cookies normally 1 = Prompt for each cookie 2 = Accept for current session only 3 = Accept for N days browser.cache.offline.enable = false Disables offline cache. browser.send_pings = false The attribute would be useful for letting websites track visitors’ clicks. webgl.disabled = true WebGL is a potential security risk. Source dom.battery.enabled = false Website owners can track the battery status of your device. Source browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo = 0 Even with Firefox set to not remember history, your closed tabs are stored temporarily at Menu -> History -> Recently Closed Tabs. + Mozilla Addons compatibles with Pale Moon : Disconnect , QuickJava , Ublock Origin , User Agent Overrider And I use too JondoBrowser personalized

#29 vpn309r8

vpn309r8

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

Better for anonymity:

- all users must have the same browser

#30 jean claud

jean claud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

I recommend too an other browser based on firefox and focused on privacy : jonfox (jondofox without jondo) I've replaced no script and cookie manager by "quickjava" a versatile addon which allow you to disable when you want js , j, F, L, rtc, ilverlight, animated images, cookies etc . It is with this browser that I get the best results at ipcheck site

http://ip-check.info/?lang=en

#31 OmniNegro

OmniNegro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

I know this is partly off topic, but why would anyone who cares about their privacy use Chrome? Hell, even the Widevine Content Decryption Module in Firefox is known to betray your privacy. (Widevine is the property of Google. They make their money by selling any amount of data they can collect about you to anyone who will pay.) So why use them? You do not need them, and you have plenty of other options.

#32 jean claud

jean claud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

I must completely agree google is a spying util for consumerists , on linux mint there is a very useful domain blocker where I've banned the most annoying google domains .

​Same thing for Android why:  buying a vpn if you are prisonner of google ?

I know this is partly off topic, but why would anyone who cares about their privacy use Chrome? Hell, even the Widevine Content Decryption Module in Firefox is known to betray your privacy. (Widevine is the property of Google. They make their money by selling any amount of data they can collect about you to anyone who will pay.) So why use them? You do not need them, and you have plenty of other options.

#33 jean claud

jean claud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

results obtained on ipcheck site with jondofox ( jondo disabled)  and with quickjava addon replacing Noscript

Capture du 2017-03-20 10:14:24.png

#34 thrmo

thrmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

Stripped TorBrowser (custom made, search for how-to's I posted) and Ungoogled fork of Chromium:

https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

Everything else should be considered upon your own risk.

I can't seem to found said how-to where should i check?

#35 De Facto Pantalones

De Facto Pantalones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

Firefox.  A recent Opera test-run impressed me... it might be worth the time familiarizing as a 2nd browser alt. 

#36 thrmo

thrmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

And yeah, I'm using firefox with some about:config teaks and some extensions

#37 kbps

kbps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

I was a long time user of Firefox, but it has become so slow for me.  Takes an age to render some websites. I have changed to Vivaldi.  So far it seems good, lightning fast based on chrome but with no google.

#38 monstrocity

monstrocity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Cyberfox (firefox fork, as my primary) and SRWare Iron (chrome based, needed for work) - both are supported in Windoze and Linux.  I also use Tor occasionally.

#39 De Facto Pantalones

De Facto Pantalones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:54 AM

I was a long time user of Firefox, but it has become so slow for me.  Takes an age to render some websites. I have changed to Vivaldi.  So far it seems good, lightning fast based on chrome but with no google.

From my recent experience, the Electrolysis/Multiprocess features of FF have made it pretty slick. 

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Multiprocess_Firefox

w/ a side of adjustments..

https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js

Any Opera user feedback?

Thanks!

#40 Brainbleach

Brainbleach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:21 PM

It really depends on what kind of privacy you are trying to achieve and who you are trying to hide from.  In my case, I'm just trying to keep my browsing and file transfers hidden from my ISP and not my government. If you are some sort of political activist or hacker who is breaking tons of federal laws then which browser you use is only a tiny piece of what it takes to remain anonymous online.  It's an entire lifestyle change to remain completely off the grid.  So back to the original question, I personally use chrome with ABP, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, and WebRTC Blocker.  But like I kinda mentioned before, I'm just downloading torrents with the occasional deep web browsing when I'm bored....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firefox, chromium, google chrome, opera, vivaldi, pale moon, web browser, browser

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Users: 12755 - BW: 35679 Mbit/sYour IP: 54.198.147.221Guest Access.