Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.91.98
cg44

Server Topology / AirVPN GUI

Tech. Support

I was under the impression that AirVPN runs their own servers, however when using an SSH tunnel the connection is to ip 71.19.249.195 (eSecureData.com). Do you use third party servers, Virtual Private Servers, or is this a co-location? It appears that if SSH tunneling is used, your only option is to be routed through ip 71.19.249.195. Is this correct? Since the configuration files list ip addresses and not url's, I guess your service is running on third party eSecureData.com servers. 

When my SSH data packets arrive at eSecureData.com and are decrypted, I would think that the OpenVPN encrypted data would be forwarded to an AirVPN server, however it seems that my OpenVPN data is decrypted at eSecureData.com also, along with the SSH encryption (route ---> 71.19.249.195 255.255.255.255 net_gateway in the .opnv file.). I imagine this makes sense as stripping the SSH encryption and then forwarding the OpenVPN encrypted data would defeat the purpose of the SSH encryption in the first place. So my bottom line question is how much can I trust eSecureData.com, including their logging policy?  

I tried to install the AirVPN GUI .deb (Eddie I believe) on LinuxMint 17:
  Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
  Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
and the install fails halfway through. I can not find any info. about the abend in my logs. I do not have Mono installed. Is that my issue?

All of this is beyond my pay grade, but I'm having fun.

Best Regards.

and the install fails halfway through. I can not find any info. about the abend in my logs. I do not have Mono installed. Is that my issue?

I heard using the portable version does not require Mono and therefore should work. There are dependency issues with many distributions when trying to install it.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Tech. Support

I was under the impression that AirVPN runs their own servers, however when using an SSH tunnel the connection is to ip 71.19.249.195 (eSecureData.com). Do you use third party servers, Virtual Private Servers, or is this a co-location? It appears that if SSH tunneling is used, your only option is to be routed through ip 71.19.249.195. Is this correct? Since the configuration files list ip addresses and not url's, I guess your service is running on third party eSecureData.com servers. 

When my SSH data packets arrive at eSecureData.com and are decrypted, I would think that the OpenVPN encrypted data would be forwarded to an AirVPN server, however it seems that my OpenVPN data is decrypted at eSecureData.com also, along with the SSH encryption (route ---> 71.19.249.195 255.255.255.255 net_gateway in the .opnv file.). I imagine this makes sense as stripping the SSH encryption and then forwarding the OpenVPN encrypted data would defeat the purpose of the SSH encryption in the first place. So my bottom line question is how much can I trust eSecureData.com, including their logging policy?  

All of this is beyond my pay grade, but I'm having fun.

Best Regards.

I'd installed the .deb package on mint 17 and now the experimental on mint 18 with no problem.  It's a VM.  but I'm no help here with trouble shooting, sorry.  I'm really a linux noob.

Tech. Support

I was under the impression that AirVPN runs their own servers, however when using an SSH tunnel the connection is to ip 71.19.249.195 (eSecureData.com). Do you use third party servers, Virtual Private Servers, or is this a co-location?

We do not use VPS. only dedicated servers. 71.19.249.195 is one of our IP addresses and it is assigned to a server (Cetus) that is connected in a eSecureData datacenter in Vancouver.

When my SSH data packets arrive at eSecureData.com and are decrypted, I would think that the OpenVPN encrypted data would be forwarded to an AirVPN server,

Cetus is an AirVPN server. You are not obliged to trust the datacenter which the server is connected in . You can use end-to-end encryption and perform "partition of trust". Evaluate according to your threat model. Some notes about that are here: https://airvpn.org/topic/54-using-airvpn-over-tor/?do=findComment&comment=1745

It appears that if SSH tunneling is used, your only option is to be routed through ip 71.19.249.195. Is this correct?

No, totally incorrect. That's an IP address assigned to Cetus. It is not used to route any traffic from any other server.

Since the configuration files list ip addresses and not url's, I guess your service is running on third party eSecureData.com servers. 

We have six servers in the aforementioned datacenter. And yes, each server is in some datacenter, did you think that we connect our servers to residential lines? :) Even this absurd case would make no difference, data would transit anyway in some ISP infrastructure, and then some other ISP infrastructure and so on, until they arrive at destination.

Yes. You need to resolve all dependencies first. Mono is mandatory with the installing version.

Kind regards

Hi,

I can confirm the Linuxmint 18 - VPN-client-Problem.

I can't solve it via Mono.

Although the client can be fired up after installation, my apt-get won't work until I remove the brocken package again ... ?

Any suggestions welcome,

Niklas

niklas@niklas-VirtualBox ~/Downloads $ sudo dpkg -i --force-depends airvpn*(Lese Datenbank ... 279213 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von airvpn_linux_x64_debian.deb ...
Entpacken von airvpn (2.10) über (2.10) ...
dpkg: airvpn: Abhängigkeitsprobleme, wird aber trotzdem wie gefordert konfiguriert:
 airvpn hängt ab von libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil; aber:
  Paket libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil ist nicht installiert.
 airvpn hängt ab von libmono-winforms2.0-cil; aber:
  Paket libmono-winforms2.0-cil ist nicht installiert.
 airvpn hängt ab von libmono-corlib2.0-cil; aber:
  Paket libmono-corlib2.0-cil ist nicht installiert.

airvpn (2.10) wird eingerichtet ...
Trigger für man-db (2.7.5-1) werden verarbeitet ...
Trigger für gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu3.1) werden verarbeitet ...
Trigger für desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu5) werden verarbeitet ...
Trigger für mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) werden verarbeitet ...

niklas@niklas-VirtualBox ~/Downloads $ sudo apt-get install libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
Paket libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil ist nicht verfügbar, wird aber von einem anderen Paket
referenziert. Das kann heißen, dass das Paket fehlt, dass es abgelöst
wurde oder nur aus einer anderen Quelle verfügbar ist.
Doch die folgenden Pakete ersetzen es:
  mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 mono-devel

E: Für Paket »libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil« existiert kein Installationskandidat.

@mrburns

Yes, purge all the packages from old Mono and install Mono 4. It is useless now to keep anything related to Mono versions older than 4, and maybe it could also pose issues.

Kind regards