9 replies to this topic

#1 jd890123

jd890123

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Hey,

for a couple of weeks now I'm sharing an AirVPN account with a friend of mine (3 devices total, so not exceeding the allowed number). I personally want to use it mostly in conjunction with a torrent client and for web-browsing.

However both the down- and upload speed I am getting is incredibly low, often even below 1 kb/sec. For him everything seems to be perfectly fine, and according to an independent and the AirVPN speedtest I should be getting over 1mb/sec download. My settings are the default ones with a few adjustments, connecting to the best out of a couple of servers in close proximity & network lock is on (there are very few disconnects tho, so I don't think its related to that).

Now I am at best decent with tech stuff thought I have absolutely no idea of VPNs and networks in general. Read a bit around the forums and went through LZ1's Guide. While I think they are extremely helpful I wasn't able to help myself.

Not sure which information you need, I'll just post what I think is relevant.

Connection 16.000 DSL, Telekom (usually around 1,4mb/sec down)

Router: Fritzbox FON 7360 (works without error)

#2 dj77

dj77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

Sharing with Friends not Allowed 3devices Are for you only

About your Speed Problem which vpn Location you Tested? ( dont use netherland with Telekom)

Do you use Eddie or openvpn Client?

#3 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

Logs. Don't forget the spoiler tags. Read more in my signature.
And your provider name. I'm with DTAG, there seems to be a slight problem with udp/443 and torrenting, udp/53 works very good.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#4 jd890123

jd890123

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

Sharing with Friends not Allowed 3devices Are for you only

About your Speed Problem which vpn Location you Tested? ( dont use netherland with Telekom)

Do you use Eddie or openvpn Client?

Uh, I thought its like Netflix, as long as its below 3 devices it's fine. Well since I can't really use it anyways...

I used Netherlands a lot, however Switzerland and France had similar problems. Thought I'll strike out our orange neighbors from the server list.

Using Eddie btw.

Logs. Don't forget the spoiler tags. Read more in my signature.
And your provider name. I'm with DTAG, there seems to be a slight problem with udp/443 and torrenting, udp/53 works very good.

Usig DTAG, I'll try udp/53. Updating with logs soon.

#5 dj77

dj77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

Try this https://airvpn.org/topic/15791-extremely-low-speeds/#entry33443

#6 jd890123

jd890123

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

Done the stuff mentioned above (assuming using udp/53 means preferences -> protocols -> alternative ports -> protocol UDP, port 53), here are some logs

Spoiler

Running speed test at the moment.

#7 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

. 2016.07.30 11:06:56 - OpenVPN > Socket Buffers: R=[8192->524288] S=[8192->262144]

While there's generally no real disadvantage using big buffers, they can lower your latency and/or speed in certain circumstances. With my 50/10 Mbit connection, 65536 bytes are enough. Full speeds, dreamy latency :)

Always remember:

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#8 jd890123

jd890123

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

. 2016.07.30 11:06:56 - OpenVPN > Socket Buffers: R=[8192->524288] S=[8192->262144]

While there's generally no real disadvantage using big buffers, they can lower your latency and/or speed in certain circumstances. With my 50/10 Mbit connection, 65536 bytes are enough. Full speeds, dreamy latency :)

I don't quite understand what you mean by that..

Done everything mentioned above, still downloading with less than 200 kb/sec (little better than before) while the same torrent goes up to 1,5 mb/sec without the use of AirVPN. Tried Czech, Switzerland, Germany and France.

#9 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

Buffers can be changed in Settings > Advanced > Send/Receive Buffer Size.

Since you are a Telekom user, I personally recommend you to try Kitalpha and Phoenicis.

Always remember:

#10 jd890123

jd890123

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

Sorry for necro'ing this thread & not replying for so long.

I managed to greatly increase the down & up speed after playing around with ports in preferences/protocols and my router settings. Getting a decent connection now using UDP/53 as an alternative while opening that port @Kitalpha. Download still drops down to 1kb/s but I feel like I'm on the right path.

Thanks for your help!