Not connected, Your IP: 44.202.183.118
muelli

Looking for fast Server (EU) that goes beyond 30-40MBit

Hello Forum,

I am looking for a fast server in the EU (not Germany) that goes beyond 30-40Mbit.

At the moment I have a 100Mbit connection and every server I tried yesterday (be it countrywise or single servers) gave me speeds between 5Mbit and 40Mbit max.

Can someone give me a hint on which country or server to choose, that goes beyond that?

thanks!

bye

Stefan

Hello Forum,

I am looking for a fast server in the EU (not Germany) that goes beyond 30-40Mbit.

At the moment I have a 100Mbit connection and every server I tried yesterday (be it countrywise or single servers) gave me speeds between 5Mbit and 40Mbit max.

Can someone give me a hint on which country or server to choose, that goes beyond that?

thanks!

bye

Stefan

All of the servers go beyond that for example I'm getting 150Mbit myself atm. Have you checked your buffer settings, also humor me here but what is your Speed per core on your CPU?

Hello !

​As EdenSpire said: Click on the AirVPN logo in the top-left of the Eddie client, then go to Preferences & then the Advanced tab. Then set both TCP & UDP buffer size entries to 256kb, for faster speeds.

​I also recommend avoiding German and Netherlands servers for a little while, as they seem to be having issues.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello !

​As EdenSpire said: Click on the AirVPN logo in the top-left of the Eddie client, then go to Preferences & then the Advanced tab. Then set both TCP & UDP buffer size entries to 256kb, for faster speeds.

​I also recommend avoiding German and Netherlands servers for a little while, as they seem to be having issues.

Hello!

You can check the "Status" page. At the moment in the Netherlands we have 3 servers down, out of 44. In Germany we have 0 servers down.

The problem arose because when those three Netherlands servers went down, the monitoring system failed in a peculiar way.

The servers obtained the highest ranking in the world and one of them became the "best" server for the client software, for the NL domain name, for the Europe domain name and for the Earth domain name. Their rating skyrocketed because their latency was low as usual, they could yell to our monitoring system that all of their bandwidth was available, that their CPU load was 0, and more (and everything was true... because nobody could get their traffic through). In reality they had problems with the OpenVPN clients, but not to prevent completely the connections (so we did not even get one of our alerts, "suspicious low amount of users in a single server").

The problem is momentarily patched but we will soon investigate to understand the reasons of this odd (and somehow funny...) failure of our monitoring systems.

Kind regards

That's interesting, Staff. Would this still happen regardless of whether the client was set to sort between either "Speed" or "Latency" ?

​Thank you for explaining.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Setting the correct MTU with the command "mssfix" can also improve speeds significantly. You have to add it in the "OpenVPN Directives" section in the Eddie client.

See here for more information:

https://www.sonassi.com/help/magestack/setting-correct-mtu-for-openvpn

In my case, i determined a MTU of 1432 with the ping command, as described in the article linked above. Therefore, in entered "mssfix 1392" in the Eddie client. This improved my speeds even further, along with modifying the buffer sizes, as "LZ1" already pointed out.

Good luck!

Fox

That's interesting, Staff. Would this still happen regardless of whether the client was set to sort between either "Speed" or "Latency" ?

​Thank you for explaining.

Well, it's impossible to tell, because the client uses the round trip time between the node it runs into and the VPN servers as one of the parameters for the rating, so it heavily depends on the location of the client. In our previous message, when we said that those three servers became the best servers "for the client", we were imprecise. That was true only for those who picked or white listed the Netherlands only. For anybody else, that was possible, but not certain

Kind regards

Hi everybody,

I should have clarified my settings in the first post.

First of all, I am using the openvpn client on my ubuntu 14.04 LTS and fed it the config that the generator gives me in the client area.

I only got up to 30-40Mbit max, no matter which server I try (some servers less than that).

However the hint about the buffer sizes did the trick:

I added some openvpn options like that

txqueuelen 1000
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

and there we go, 100mbit.

It might be a good idea to add these options to the generator output or make them at least optional for fast connections. *hint to the team*

Thanks for your tips!

bye

Stefan

Hi everybody,

I should have clarified my settings in the first post.

First of all, I am using the openvpn client on my ubuntu 14.04 LTS and fed it the config that the generator gives me in the client area.

I only got up to 30-40Mbit max, no matter which server I try (some servers less than that).

However the hint about the buffer sizes did the trick:

I added some openvpn options like that

txqueuelen 1000

sndbuf 524288

rcvbuf 524288

and there we go, 100mbit.

It might be a good idea to add these options to the generator output or make them at least optional for fast connections. *hint to the team*

Thanks for your tips!

bye

Stefan

Buffer settings are never default in config files since it is not always the same for everyone, the client Eddie has settings to set your buffer settings if you use third party OpenVPN software setting the buffer settings is completely up to you.

That's true, not a good idea to make them active by default. But it would be a nice addition to the already available config. options.

Well actually it's the default now in the experimental build.

• [change] rcvbuf & sndbuf, now set to 256k under Windows, and to OpenVPN default on other OS.​

​Can't blame Air for not thinking ahead, lol.

• [change] rcvbuf & sndbuf, now set to 256k under Windows, and to OpenVPN default on other OS.​

That's not a config default it's a client default

•  

That's not a config default it's a client default

Oh I thought that was what you meant . It's still a nice change however.