Not connected, Your IP: 52.205.159.48

We told you Russia wasn't a good place to go. 

Well, shit. Why the fuck is it that every time AirVPN PIA or anyone try's to operate anywhere the local governments go to town and pass some new legislation to throw them out on their ass. I'm really surprised something like this bullshit has not happened in the US and Canada, ecspecially considering Canada already has a data retention law although it has loose interpretation; personally any risk of data retention should be reason enough for a provider to pull out but I have taken it upon myself not to use them. Moral of the story, AirVPN knew the risks of a Russian presence and their competitor went anyway and compromised their users data.

Hello !

I wondered what you were talking about. I'm not sure if I'm more surprised their servers got seized or that they had real servers to begin with, lol. Where's the fake GeoIP & VPS stuff when you need it PIA? C'mon now...

Edit: By the way OP, did you mean to insinuate this being a feature of PIA? Considering the sub-forum of choice

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Well, shit. Why the fuck is it that every time AirVPN PIA or anyone try's to operate anywhere the local governments go to town and pass some new legislation to throw them out on their ass. I'm really surprised something like this bullshit has not happened in the US and Canada, ecspecially considering Canada already has a data retention law although it has loose interpretation; personally any risk of data retention should be reason enough for a provider to pull out but I have taken it upon myself not to use them. Moral of the story, AirVPN knew the risks of a Russian presence and their competitor went anyway and compromised their users data.

The problem is that if providers had to only set up shop in places where such laws and practices aren't carried out, then those providers would probably have to find a second habitable planet. Besides, what do you prefer? Sledgehammer, like in Russia or cloak and dagger like in the us, where things are just tapped in other ways? Furthermore, PIA would say they don't keep any logs, so nothing was compromised. It's just a shame their lackluster client is in itself a compromise, lol.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

The problem is that if providers had to only set up shop in places where such laws and practices aren't carried out, then those providers would probably have to find a second habitable planet. Besides, what do you prefer? Sledgehammer, like in Russia or cloak and dagger like in the us, where things are just tapped in other ways? Furthermore, PIA would say they don't keep any logs, so nothing was compromised. It's just a shame their lackluster client is in itself a compromise, lol.

*sigh* You just cant win when every government is full of assholes. Hopefully if Mars is colonized we may have better luck, but that ping time would be absolute fucking shit for anyone to VPN there. One way via light speed could take up to 22 minutes, using it as a VPN here on Earth would take 44 minutes to send and recieve any data at all.

To hell with Russia. They forced PIA to have to make and distribute new keys to every single client. You do not have to like PIA to know what a dick move this is.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

*sigh* You just cant win when every government is full of assholes. Hopefully if Mars is colonized we may have better luck, but that ping time would be absolute fucking shit for anyone to VPN there. One way via light speed could take up to 22 minutes, using it as a VPN here on Earth would take 44 minutes to send and recieve any data at all.

It would be great if AirVPN expanded into space. Then they could make lame jokes by changing their name to "AirSpaceVPN" and the funny thing would then be that there's no air in space, except for AirSpaceVPN, but in airspace there is!

To hell with Russia. They forced PIA to have to make and distribute new keys to every single client. You do not have to like PIA to know what a dick move this is.

no, PIA should have known better than to have servers in Russia

Really? You favor the jerks stealing information to use against everyone? PIA should have known better, but that does not mean PIA and their users deserved this to happen.

I do not know about you, but I favor the victims, not the perpetrators of a crime like this.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Really? You favor the jerks stealing information to use against everyone? PIA should have known better, but that does not mean PIA and their users deserved this to happen.

I do not know about you, but I favor the victims, not the perpetrators of a crime like this.

you know I don't favor Russia.  that's why I think it's crazy any VPN provider has a presence there.

you know I don't favor Russia.  that's why I think it's crazy any VPN provider has a presence there.

As of this moment, exactly zero real VPNs have a presence in Russia.

Well to be fair, lots of countries, including not typically-villified ones like the UK either aren't much better or are heading in a direction which increasingly resembles Russia. So it's quite a tough deck of cards to be dealt. But naturally, it does follow that any VPN worth its salt keeps a close eye on not just the technical situation surrounding VPN-usage, but also the various legal realities of the host country and/or region. Other examples include France, wherein after the attacks, emergency laws were put in place pretty quickly:

The expanded emergency powers allow the government to impose house arrest without authorization from a judge, conduct searches without a judicial warrant and seize any computer files it finds, and block websites deemed to glorify terrorism without prior judicial authorization.

So I think you're both right.

I think Perfect Privacy still has servers there...

I wonder what will happen to AIRs Ukraine servers. Ukraine is not Russia though, but who knows how things develop there.

I wonder what will happen to AIRs Ukraine servers. Ukraine is not Russia though, but who knows how things develop there.

If Air thought the situation there would be a threat to their operations they'd shut down Ukranian servers

If Air thought the situation there would be a threat to their operations they'd shut down Ukranian servers

Perhaps you've forgotten but Air did have a server seized in Ukraine for ransom.  But, apparently that didn't compromise the users or the system.

It seems that in the case of PIA things are different.  Perhaps their system does require important information on the servers that fell into the wrong hands.  Thus, they had to warn their users to update config files and/or software.

I think Perfect Privacy still has servers there...

I would not call that a real VPN. The fact that they have a Russian server means they already decided to hand over the keys and log your data for a year. (They specifically say they log nothing, but Russia is not going to like that.)

"We think it’s because we are the most outspoken and only verified no-log VPN provider"

What's this? A wet dream?

What kind of reputable company would include this piece of shitty advertisement into a public statement? Shot themselves in the foot with that one, if you ask me.

There were a few guys around here asking for a russian server. I invite you to step forward.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

"We think it’s because we are the most outspoken and only verified no-log VPN provider"

What's this? A wet dream?

What kind of reputable company would include this piece of shitty advertisement into a public statement? Shot themselves in the foot with that one, if you ask me.

There were a few guys around here asking for a russian server. I invite you to step forward.

Wait wait wait... They have feet? lol.

Seeing as how it looks like they're still hugely popular (and I see their ads everywhere it seems), I suppose feet weren't a requirement haha.

Well seems I was wrong, they affect datacenters too apparently and VPN providers. Also Perfect Privacy don't necessarily have to have agreed with logging, the law only wants log data on Russian citizens and gives a rats ass about people from Germany or Britain, if they don't know about Perfect Privacy they got no reason to take their servers.

Perfect-privacy dont log and Would Never agree to such things and they proofed enough that they dont log many times Server got seized from them (Erfurt,nuremberg, france and i think Frankfurt too) but if it Happens to Pia you can read it everywhere like thats something Special lol

Nvpn.net Russia Server Got seized too few years ago

Well seems I was wrong, they affect datacenters too apparently and VPN providers. Also Perfect Privacy don't necessarily have to have agreed with logging, the law only wants log data on Russian citizens and gives a rats ass about people from Germany or Britain, if they don't know about Perfect Privacy they got no reason to take their servers.

All they have to do is plant a single citizen in Russia using their server to make it perfectly legal to seize the server and screw everyone. Once a nation goes this far off the deep end, it is hardly surprising they would go a bit further to latch onto data from other nations citizens. If not nothing else, they could sell the data to Google or some other information broker.

All they have to do is plant a single citizen in Russia using their server to make it perfectly legal to seize the server and screw everyone. Once a nation goes this far off the deep end, it is hardly surprising they would go a bit further to latch onto data from other nations citizens. If not nothing else, they could sell the data to Google or some other information broker.

They don't want data from other nations citizens, the law was made because it is hardly a secret that people here aren't exactly the friendly bunch so they want data logged from people here so if somebody do something they can find them

Well one could be a bit cocky and cynical and perhaps say that "reason" isn't even a theme here, since if it was, there wouldn't be such laws to begin with. But you know, I imagine it's much like with when the NSA says they won't collect information on their own citizens. However if during the dragnet surveillance a couple of their own citizens do get their data swept up, that's an unfortunate accident.

Well one could be a bit cocky and cynical and perhaps say that "reason" isn't even a theme here, since if it was, there wouldn't be such laws to begin with. But you know, I imagine it's much like with when the NSA says they won't collect information on their own citizens. However if during the dragnet surveillance a couple of their own citizens do get their data swept up, that's an unfortunate accident.

The difference is NSA is an american company and they have those constitution stuff that is to protect their privacy so if the NSA collects their data it goes against that, there is none of that here like I wrote above the law is because if people do something here with logs they can find whoever did it