• 2439 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

I must grow really old for Java to get deprecated... :D

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs is the proper way to heaven.
Same issues are rare! Search for solutions and if not successful open your own threads.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

#42 De Facto Pantalones

De Facto Pantalones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:18 AM

Hello all.  I read through LZ's guide (I'm still getting the hang of AirVPN -I had it running smooth, but now it seems to be lagging).

So on a Windows 7 Pro install/OS... in Network Connections >Ethernet >Configure >Advanced Tab (the one with Jumbo Packet, Transmit Buffers, e.t.)... is there a guide that helps users Optimize these settings?  I know it's subjective, machine, ISP, gateway, e.t. all play a part... but I can't find any general guide that gives tips on how to optimize these settings w/ AirVPN.  Thanks in advance for any feedback.  My apologies for the Noob question!!  :whistle: 

#43 CheckMade

CheckMade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

LZ1, thank you for the guide.

Still very useful in 2017, especially with the possible (future) prosecution of illegal downloads in the Netherlands.

And of course more importantly; privacy protection.

• LZ1 likes this

#44 Miran2017

Miran2017

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

Thank you so much for this guide, it was really usefull i would have had to call my brother otherwise!

• LZ1 likes this

#45 Hexane

Hexane

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

Hey I'm a newbie but I'm quite liking Air so far. I have read the guide and used the search feature but I can't find my answer. That doesn't mean it's not there, I could easily have missed it. If it's already here I'd greatly appreciate a nudge in the right direction with apologies for asking a superfluous question.

I have a really awful internet connection, no high speed, 2.5mbs tops on a  good day with a tail wind. Most of the time a lot less. I don't need everything I do to be across the VPN and for some things like, for example, VOIP and cloud services file sync, the extra overhead of the VPN is going to bring me to a standstill. Is there a way to "whitelist" certain apps or services so they have permission to go outside the tunnel?

Many thanks for all you do :)

#46 LZ1

LZ1

It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:59 PM

Spoiler

@De Facto Pantalones: I'm not sure what to tell you. But I'm inclined to think that for someone as curious as you, a single answer wouldn't be as satisfactory as the journey itself ;). The only thing I could tell you at this point is "Switch to Linux" and "Get a Turris Omnia to fool around with?" :lol:. You would adore how Eddie runs on Linux. Just look at that DNS handling, compared to Windows ;)

@CheckMade: Thank you. Here's to hoping it'll be just as useful in 2018.

@Miran2017: Haha, great. A belated welcome to you. If there's any other issues or doubts, please don't hesitate to ask the community or Air support :).

@Hexane: A belated welcome to you too! Thankyou. Yes, you may want to look into traffic splitting or otherwise using a virtual machine setup. Then you could run things on the Host machine outside, while using Air from inside the virtual machine. Other similar guides. Simply check ipleak.net to see what your IP is, in the end. Here's another similar guide. But first it would be prudent to find out which servers work for you and perhaps trying out different protocol combinations, by changing things in the Eddie client. Needless to say, other common measures such as using a wired connection and/or a good router are also recommended :). Otherwise I don't think there's a super-easy one-click way to whitelist apps as you suggest, no. Unless you want to play around with Eddies Preferences>Routes section; but this quickly gets impractical for some apps I think. You can also check out this small thread on split tunneling.

Sorry for the late replies. I try not to post too much in this thread, so that it won't bother too many people.

Happy New Year ;).

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

#47 sanpellegrinoaranciata

sanpellegrinoaranciata

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Thank you very very much. It was very helpful for me.

• LZ1 likes this

#48 FrauGrubach

FrauGrubach

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

Hi, what do I have to do if Eddie button on my Mac gets grey and nothing happens?

I just can't finish the installation.

OS X ver. 10.11.6

#49 LZ1

LZ1

It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

@FrauGrubach Welcome to AirVPN! I already sent you a PM on the same day you posted, but there has been no reply :). If the issue persists, feel free to ask Air support directly.

• Merged the two Beta questions in the Getting Started section.
  • Put two encryption-related links in the "Other Noteworthy Resources" section. One from Schneier and one from CGP Grey.
  • Added that it is expected that Network Lock restores the original firewall rules when Eddie is shut down.
  • Added to the First Question sections "Who runs Air and moderates the forums?" that along with zhang888, I'm a moderator too. I became a mod on February 13th, 2018.
  • Added two new questions to the First Questions section. Packed with links so much so, that even the most "paranoid" should be put at ease:

- What does AirVPN do to make it safe to use and does it log or track people? 

Spoiler

- When will AirVPN add country or server XYZ?

Spoiler

• Shortened Guides, First Questions and After Downloading Eddie Sections hugely by taking away huge chunks of now-redundant questions. Any useful links will be put elsewhere - I did sift through them all. For example, TCP/UDP buffer sizes were set to 256kb by default quite some time ago, so there's no need to recommend it. But the Q&As are pasted below in case anyone needs them:
Spoiler

• Completely remade the answer to speed issues away from this:

- Eddie can't connect or is very slow, what can I do?

Spoiler

To this, with 1 helpful tip per bullet and links to things that require a longer explanation:

- Eddie can't connect or is very slow, what can I do?

Spoiler

There's still much more I want to do, but this goes along way towards distilling it into its most useful elements. There's still aspects of Air which didn't get any "coverage". But all in due time :).

The goal of course being to provide a good place for finding answers to common questions and this change has really helped distill the guide into something better, I think. :)

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Sessions: 15608 - BW: 49513 Mbit/sYour IP: 54.167.196.208Guest Access.