64 replies to this topic

#21 after_lunch

after_lunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:50 AM

@LZI

According to ipleak.net, IE is not leaky, so I won't have to abandon it just yet! I will certainly check out the Firefox extension, though.

I had my first "connect to Air VPN at startup" this morning, which went very well. I was expecting to see a blank screen for ages, but the system went straight to the Windows (8.1) desktop as quickly as before, and only then was there a slight delay while Air VPN launched. Definitely safer, given my poor memory!

#22 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:56 AM

If I read this recommendation in my first weeks at AirVPN, I would definitely go with the servers closer to my location. Today I would connect to servers with the least hops to my ISP, because the less hops you've got in between the better your latency is. Geographic distance (I think it's called euklidean distance?) does not play a very important role in times of fibre cables. :)

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#23 LZ1

LZ1

It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Moderators
  • 1952 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

@LZI

According to ipleak.net, IE is not leaky, so I won't have to abandon it just yet! I will certainly check out the Firefox extension, though.

I had my first "connect to Air VPN at startup" this morning, which went very well. I was expecting to see a blank screen for ages, but the system went straight to the Windows (8.1) desktop as quickly as before, and only then was there a slight delay while Air VPN launched. Definitely safer, given my poor memory!

Haha, this is good to hear! I'm glad it worked out for you! :]

Have you done a speed test yet? The results can be quite positively surprising.

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

#24 after_lunch

after_lunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

@LZ1

Actually, I found the speed test on the first day of my trial. I was impressed with the test results, and they've held up in the real world! With VPN off, I get a fairly constant 55 Mbps from my up to 70 Mbps service. With AirVPN on, I can download from filehosts at a top speed of about 45 Mbps. That's almost twice the speed I was getting from HMA, and, since I've recently been starting with 40-50 GB in the download queue, it is a very welcome improvement. An unexpected bonus, too: I switched to Air just for the added security.

As regards Internet Explorer, the Firefox extension is a bust - it's not updated for the current Firefox version. However, I've decided to dump IE anyway: two sites I visit regularly are written for Firefox; several others seem to become unstable with IE (frozen screens; disappearing tabs). I've even discovered that the AirVPN forums don't work properly with IE: I can't copy and paste text into posts when using IE, but there's no problem when using Firefox. So I've set Firefox as my default browser, imported my IE favourites, and synced my two main PCs - only a temporary measure while I'm still constructing Bookmarks Menu folders.

#25 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1952 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:26 PM

Oh damn, that's excellent. It's quite funny when reading articles on VPNs and they're like "Your speed will suffer" and then you do a speedtest here and it's almost better than your non-VPN speeds lol.

I don't know which version of IE you use, but it's generally a hated browser; especially old versions. In the old days, it was a complete nightmare coding for IE. Windows 10 has the next evolution of

IE, called Edge. Maybe you'd like that. Although you'll rarely get much support for using any browser from MS I think. Most people are either firmly on Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox these days.

For the maximum amount of privacy, it should go without saying that Google should be avoided whenever possible, generally speaking :). You could set ipleak.net as your FF start page too if you want,

so that you'll be able to confirm everything is likely working fine; just a suggestion. Enjoy.

Hi there, are you new to AirVPN? Many of your questions are already answered in this guide. Its Guides Section has guides on Linux/Torrenting/Blocked sites & many other topics too.
Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please read the First Questions section in the link above for more details, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

#26 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:13 AM

Microsoft is venturing into the world of AI. Sure, they make mistakes like the Twitter chatbot, but they are building their products around it. Cortana for example needs data, so Windows (Phone) 10 and of course most of the companion software is built to compliment it. Edge will be no exception. It's not only closed source, it's also doomed to be the same privacy nightmare as Windows 10 is. Do not use it, period.

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#27 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1952 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

Updated: Added Index, changed some formatting and added new answers + links.

​Thread also got moved from General to How-Tos by Staff; haha, thanks Staff.

#28 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1952 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

Updated:

Spoiler

This will hopefully accomplish the following:

Spoiler

#29 JamesAK

JamesAK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for this. Full of useful stuff for AirVPN newbies.

#30 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1952 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for this. Full of useful stuff for AirVPN newbies.

Heeeey, well you're certainly the first to post in this thread for a long time ! I really appreciate your kind words. If you run into any trouble feel free to ask us for help :).

Welcome to AirVPN!

#31 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1952 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

Updated:

- Some links.

- Added note about the Beta always downloading the latest version. People were asking how to get updates.

- Added update to servers list, regarding the state of French servers.

- Added How To Autostart AirVPN As Root With No Password(Linux) Security issues have been noted by Staff & zhang888.

- Added How To Setup The Eddie Client On Raspberry Pi 3

- Added Mini-guides On How To Improve Torrent Speeds

- Added some history on VPNs, as some prominent people posted

- Added Staffs comment regarding thatoneprivacysite.

- Added An AirVPN review that I think is good.

- Added links to Rule 41 & Snoopers Charter laws (hey they have their own site!)

- Added Staff Comment on multi-hop VPN use.

- Added How To Port-Forward & Use A Torrent Client

- Added Staff Comment on IKEv2 and why it's not supported.

- Added Link regarding Black Friday, for questions related to sales.

That felt productive. See ya!

#32 trev

trev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

Wow, so much information to digest!

I've been using Air for a while, but want to say thanks for such excellent guides to this service. :clap:

#33 Shamerock

Shamerock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

Wow LZ1 thank you for the myriad helpful information you have compiled.  I'm really just getting back up on securing my self and info as well as enhancing my privacy and anonimity with the worsening climate we all must acclimate to.  I spent much time researching JUST which VPN to potentially go with, and I'm only lucky I bookmarked a post on medium I came across some months back that spoke so highly of the Air service and community.  So now, I  can resume with researching my potentially questionable behaviour, depending on which state level actor may be concerned, with just a bit more grit and knowledge under my belt.  Kudos again to you and all the wonderful people helping out on here.

#34 Antipodean_Gypsy

Antipodean_Gypsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

Greetings All,

I'm only a few hours old in the world of VPN and AirVPN but I'm glad to be here,....

I wanted to say how much I appreciate this post and how helpful and useful it has already been. I have been steadily perusing for the last 3 hrs or so and I can tell I will be returning to many of the links and topics as I continue on my journey familiarising myself with everything.

Its nice to see the genuine contributions and effort that goes into the forums and community, and of course the service!

Wish me luck !! Ciao for Now........

#35 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1952 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

Updated:

• Added (thanks to many community members various posts on the issue), some Plex Server Guidance.
• Added "Who Runs AirVPN?" question & answers, with associated links, to the First Questions section. Crucially, clarifying that zhang888 is not an AirVPN employee (but still awesome).

• Added info on AirVPN "Micro-routing" & how to use it, as well as info on "Status" page functions, to the First Questions section. As with Plex, there's a steady stream of people asking about it.
• Added Port-forwarding image. Thanks to uscskelly.
• Added note that my intent with this guide is also to collect other peoples' guides & how-tos, to make it more convenient for everyone. Credit is of course given to those authors.
• Added "Turris Omnia" router to security recommendations list, as it's worth knowing about. Kudos zhang888.
• Changed intro, to streamline it a little more.
• Added image instructions on how to share logs & use spoiler tags.
• Added note on Using NL with Tor & Staffs response
• Added NL clarification about being a feature others call a "killswitch". As some get confused between different VPN providers' jargon.
• Added 20% Christmas Promotion. So that people may better anticipate the next sale(s).

EDIT: Added Staffs superb thoughts on "piracy". As well as cleaned up the part about the Beta client and clarified the index a little.

EDIT: Added How To fix Virgin Media Connection Drops/Bandwidth Issues

EDIT: Added AirVPN Staff telling them to get rekt. lol.

@trev, Shamerock, Antipodean_Gypsy

Thank you all. I really appreciate when people like yourselves take the time to post :). It's true Shamerock, that things seem to be steadily worsening. I guess we'll just have to get everyone signed up to a VPN then huh ;). Welcome to AirVPN Shamerock & Antipodean_Gypsy, I hope you'll like it here. If there's anything any of you (or anyone else) has questions about or think I should consider adding to the guide or changing, then as always, please do feel free to post and tell me :]. 

Happy holidays and Happy New Year everyone!

Attached Thumbnails

• Pastinglogs.png
  • AirLogsTab.png

#36 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1952 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

Updated:

• Noted release of 2.11.15 version of Eddie

• Added instructions from Khariz and ~Daniel~ on Torrenting with Tixati.

• Added info on free trials, which I assume to be correct: "Trials have unlimited data and full speed. But you can only get a refund if you have used less than 5GB".

• Added info on Glasnost tests for testing traffic shaping. Thanks to giganerd.

Not so much in this update, as I just wanted to make some quick edits due to 2.11.15 being released.

#37 clubhouse

clubhouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

Very useful tutorial, I'm a VPN novice and having read  through this I've learned a good bit :)

• LZ1 likes this

#38 QWERTY_666

QWERTY_666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:11 AM

Hello all,

I just created my account in here, but would like to change my account name. 

How do I change it?

Kind regards

#39 LZ1

LZ1

• Moderators
  • 1952 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Hello all,

I just created my account in here, but would like to change my account name. 

How do I change it?

Kind regards

Hello, welcome to AirVPN!

I think you either need to make a new account or submit a support ticket, as you can only change the display name, (what we see) not login details.

#40 Jefkim666

Jefkim666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in NL

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Hi LZ1,

I'm in my second year at AIRVPN but keep returning to your FAQ. (I must lack some tech - knowledge). You might adjust the Glasnost-link, because the Max Planck Institute took it down due to the deprecation of Java.

Just here for the party :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Servers online. Online Sessions: 15849 - BW: 62061 Mbit/sYour IP: 54.90.204.233Guest Access.