Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.27.172
Sign in to follow this  
whiskey_76

installing portable airvpn client version

I haven't been able to get this to install. I have been using the ubuntu netowrk manager with certs and its working fine but I miss the features the client has. I moved the extracted tarball files to my /etc/airvpn folder but I still can't get it to work or install. Do I need to change the permissions on any files? What am I missing here? I'm still new to linux and if I can't install something with gui or apt-get command and I don't have clear cut instructions I can run into trouble. Waiting for some advice, thanks.

What are the exact errors you get?

When installing the client, you should use dpkg, not apt-get.

The portable package, just as the name suggests, doesn't require you to install anything.

You have to download the tarball from here:

https://airvpn.org/repository/2.10/airvpn_linux_x64_portable.tar.gz

Then extract it,

tar -zvxf airvpn_linux_x64_portable.tar.gz

Then copy that directory anywhere you want on your system (mind the permissions).

Once you did, you will have a 64-bit ELF Linux executable (filename: airvpn) which will statically call

the required libraries and objects from that directory upon startup.

So you will have to just make a shortcut to that executable anywhere you prefer.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

The portable package, just as the name suggests, doesn't require you to install anything.

Then extract it,

Then copy that directory anywhere you want on your system (mind the permissions).

Once you did, you will have a 64-bit ELF Linux executable (filename: airvpn) which will statically call

So you will have to just make a shortcut to that executable anywhere you prefer.

I elevated myself to the root user just to try something and I was in the folder with the airvpn file I tried airvpn & ./airvpn when I did ./airvpn I got this error:

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so

at (wrapper managed-to-native) Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall:_L_ctermid ()

at Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall..cctor () [0x00000] in :0

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at AirVPN.Platforms.Linux.GetExecutablePath () [0x00000] in :0

at AirVPN.Core.Platform.GetProgramFolder () [0x00000] in :0

at AirVPN.Core.Engine.Initialization () [0x00000] in :0

at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () [0x00000] in :0

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so

at Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall..cctor () [0x00000] in :0

at AirVPN.Platforms.Linux.GetExecutablePath () [0x00000] in :0

at AirVPN.Core.Platform.GetProgramFolder () [0x00000] in :0

at AirVPN.Core.Engine.Initialization () [0x00000] in :0

at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () [0x00000] in :0

These are only the application crash logs, can you please follow the steps I mentioned above?

You have to execute the client from the same directory you are in.

Thats what I did, even when I unzipped the tar ball. The very first time i just clicked on the airvpn file the one that says "airvpn" and it literally does nothing. then if you try to force it to open the system complains it doesnt' know what to open it with lol

Not working for me either. I just upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 and tried to run the portable version of AIR. When trying to start the file "airvpn", nothing happens.

EDIT: Now it works. I had to run a partial upgrade with the packet manager, and now it works.

Not working for me either. I just upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 and tried to run the portable version of AIR. When trying to start the file "airvpn", nothing happens.

EDIT: Now it works. I had to run a partial upgrade with the packet manager, and now it works.

which package manager?

Well, there was a window from the update manager popping up in the menu bar and warned me about missing dependencies. I clicked on "Show Upates" and was able to perform a partial upgrade of the packages already installed. Then i could successfully start the portable AIR client.

Hello @Whiskey_76

According to this:

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so

it appears that system tries to load the lib from /usr/lib (and it does not find it) instead of the current working directory. If you are 100% sure that your cwd was the same in which airvpn is in, and that you decompressed the WHOLE tarball in that directory, this issue needs to be investigated by the developer (a possible workaround would be the creation of symlink). Can you show the whole content of the directory which you decompressed the tarball in?

Kind regards

Hello @Whiskey_76

According to this:

it appears that system tries to load the lib from /usr/lib (and it does not find it) instead of the current working directory. If you are 100% sure that your cwd was the same in which airvpn is in, and that you decompressed the WHOLE tarball in that directory, this issue needs to be investigated by the developer (a possible workaround would be the creation of symlink). Can you show the whole content of the directory which you decompressed the tarball in?

Kind regards

Originally I just had it in a folder on my desktop I will show the ls -l output from that folder, when I click on the airvpn file in that folder or try to run it from terminal either nothing happens or I get the above error. My other try I put it in the /etc/airvpn folder I created. As of yet I haven't tried tampering with the permissions or anything. I restored the folder from the trash bin that I originally have it in and here is the output from the terminal:

-rwxrwxr-x 1 8210925 Aug 13 2015 airvpn

-rwxr-xr-x 1 5436026 Aug 13 2015 libgdiplus.so.0

-rwxr-xr-x 1 228944 Aug 13 2015 libMonoPosixHelper.so

-rwxr-xr-x 1 3029664 Aug 13 2015 openvpn

-rwxr-xr-x 1 2739956 Aug 13 2015 stunnel

-rwxr-xr-x 1 1357 Aug 13 2015 update-resolv-conf

The only thing I omitted from the text of the command was the user-name out of security paranoia.

Edit: I'm also using the mate flavor of Ubuntu.

If you strace the portable app, you see that the app is trying to load the lib in CWD/lib/usr/lib/*.so , if you copy or symlink , it starts the app correctly. However it fails on login

Then extract it,

So I tried it again and when I double click on the ELF file it says something like cannot open because it can't figure out what to do with it basically. Sooo it does nothing. When i tried to force it in the terminal errors like what I all ready posted occur.

The errors you describe are not really common to any distribution.

What do you mean by "cannot open"? This is a typical Windows error.

There is no error like that in any *nix desktop manager. You had to run

it in the command line, by the way.

When you click the AirVPN binary, from the extracted portable archive,

it should run with no issues on all platforms including the one you use.

The only exception I can think here would be BSD platforms with X server,

but I haven't tested it personally and I assume you will have to statically

compile Mono runtime for them first. But this is really the only exception.

For example, on a FreeBSD desktop I had to compile Mono first to get Eddie working.

All Linux platforms can link those libraries as part of the kernel, (ELF shared objects are

always supported since 2.6.xx kernels on Linux) so if anything doesn't work well, please post

the crash logs that you get so we can investigate the issue.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

The errors you describe are not really common to any distribution.

What do you mean by "cannot open"? This is a typical Windows error.

There is no error like that in any *nix desktop manager. You had to run

it in the command line, by the way.

When you click the AirVPN binary, from the extracted portable archive,

it should run with no issues on all platforms including the one you use.

The only exception I can think here would be BSD platforms with X server,

but I haven't tested it personally and I assume you will have to statically

compile Mono runtime for them first. But this is really the only exception.

For example, on a FreeBSD desktop I had to compile Mono first to get Eddie working.

All Linux platforms can link those libraries as part of the kernel, (ELF shared objects are

always supported since 2.6.xx kernels on Linux) so if anything doesn't work well, please post

the crash logs that you get so we can investigate the issue.

This time I tried in the terminal again, and this is after just saving and extracting tarball to desktop and it gave me this error output, whatever it means..

at Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AirVPN.Platforms.Linux.GetExecutablePath () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AirVPN.Core.Platform.GetProgramFolder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AirVPN.Core.Engine.Initialization () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so

at AirVPN.Platforms.Linux.GetExecutablePath () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I also am experiencing this issue and realize this is a  programming bug but I  was hoping a moderator could give an example of a workaround using symlinks for /usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so. Could you also install the lib as a package?

I also am experiencing this issue and realize this is a  programming bug but I  was hoping a moderator could give an example of a workaround using symlinks for /usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so. Could you also install the lib as a package?

Have a solution

execute this

sudo  ln -s '/path/to/airvpn_linux_x64_portable/libMonoPosixHelper.so' '/usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so'

Obviously change your path but this will create a symbolic link and should fix your problem

Have a solution

execute this

sudo  ln -s '/path/to/airvpn_linux_x64_portable/libMonoPosixHelper.so' '/usr/lib/libMonoPosixHelper.so'

Obviously change your path but this will create a symbolic link and should fix your problem

Thanks! This worked and I learned something new about linux at the same time, if I had known about symoblic links I would have tried that myself. Also, when I got it working this way it was still a little buggy when I opened the settings menu in the client, it froze and I had to restart my computer but it still remembered the changes. Now it appears to be working okay. The only slight annoyance is the terminal stays up. If I close it will it end the eddie client when you start it from there? I'm assuming so, I'll type exit and check later for now ill just browse with the portable client for awhile and make sure it doesnt crash.

Thanks! This worked and I learned something new about linux at the same time, if I had known about symoblic links I would have tried that myself. Also, when I got it working this way it was still a little buggy when I opened the settings menu in the client, it froze and I had to restart my computer but it still remembered the changes. Now it appears to be working okay. The only slight annoyance is the terminal stays up. If I close it will it end the eddie client when you start it from there? I'm assuming so, I'll type exit and check later for now ill just browse with the portable client for awhile and make sure it doesnt crash.

Hello,

if you need to start the Air client (either in command line mode or in graphical mode) from a terminal, you might like to use "screen":

https://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

Run the client from inside "a screen" (a virtual terminal), detach the screen and forget about it. Then you can re-attach the virtual terminal from any other, new terminal.

Quick tutorial:

https://www.rackaid.com/blog/linux-screen-tutorial-and-how-to/

Kind regards

Have a solution

execute this

I am also having the same issue. I am running x86 instead of x64, but assumed it would be the same. Here is the error I'm getting (very similar, but path is different):

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: $mono_libdir/libMonoPosixHelper.so

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall ---> System.DllNotFoundException: $mono_libdir/libMonoPosixHelper.so

I tried to use the same command for the symbolic link, and it looks like it created it, but I'm still getting the same error...

udo  ln -s '/home/marc/airvpn_linux_x86_portable/libMonoPosixHelper.so' $mono_libdir/libMonoPosixHelper.so

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

same problem can't run portable 'airvpn' in extracted folder, from terminal.

'libMonoPosixHelper.so already exists' the shell replied when i tried the above symlink suggestion (sudo  ln -s ...),

but the portable program 'airvpn' is not starting still: no dialog appears nor is my IP number changed, my way of testing if the web traffic is tunneled through Airvpn.

no idea what to do next... (?)

(btw the extracted 'openvpn' binary runs fine but I wouldn't know what options to use next with that)

same problem can't run portable 'airvpn' in extracted folder, from terminal.

'libMonoPosixHelper.so already exists' the shell replied when i tried the above symlink suggestion (sudo  ln -s ...),

but the portable program 'airvpn' is not starting still: no dialog appears nor is my IP number changed, my way of testing if the web traffic is tunneled through Airvpn.

no idea what to do next... (?)

(btw the extracted 'openvpn' binary runs fine but I wouldn't know what options to use next with that)

Resolved in 2.11.3 beta.