Not connected, Your IP: 44.201.64.238
Sign in to follow this  
mehāniskākaravīrs935

Could a chart listing all AirVPN servers with accurate Google and Ipleak.net geolocation be established?

Hello, as many of you know some users of AirVPN that actually value geolocation accuracy on web based services such as google such as my self have noted MANY times that services such as Google do not detect the proper country of the VPN servers we use. I would like to request that a chart of each and every server be made that lists the accuracy of geolocation on both Google.com and Ipleak.net. I consistently find myself searching server after server for one that is both fast and accurate. I would like it noted that most AirVPN users could care less about this and support even less so; all i ask is that it be made easier for the minority to access accurate servers without trial and error.

To start the list off i can name a few that work properly as of now:

Pollux: Jacksonville, Florida. Correct ipleak.net and Google.com

Pavonis: Chicago, IL. Correct ipleak.net and Google.com

Nair: Kiev, Ukraine. Correct ipleak.net and Google.com

Meissia: Latvia. Correct ipleak.net and Google.com

Shaula: Latvia. Correct ipleak.net and Google.com

Phact: Lativia. Correct ipleak.net and Google.com

Tyl: Ontario, Canada. Correct ipleak.net and Google.com

Atria: Sweden. Correct ipleak.net and Google.com

This is a very basic list. Merely the ones i know that work from experience. Needs much more added to the list. Countrys that have 0 accurate servers according to Google also need to be listed.

IPLeak is based on Maxmind and is correct on all servers except Tegmen.

Google doesn't provide a free lookup of locations based on IP, you will have to use the Maps API for that,

this is the service that is apparently in charge of their IP locations DB.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/map-geolocation

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

IPLeak is based on Maxmind and is correct on all servers except Tegmen.

Google doesn't provide a free lookup of locations based on IP, you will have to use the Maps API for that,

this is the service that is apparently in charge of their IP locations DB.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/map-geolocation

Ipleak isnt the main source of geolocation errors but if it is wrong, Google will likely have issues as well which is why it is important. Google does not need a "free lookup" because it is pretty idiot-proof; If you use a German server and you get American Google, its probably not correct.

You are wrong, Maxmind's IP database and Google's IP database are completely unrelated.

When you use Google's services and they locate you to a different country, it is their fault, and nothing can be done about it,

unlike with Maxmind that has a procedure of scraping whois data and an email for corrections.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

The problem is extremely simple for anyone to find. I'm not asking anyone to fix it, just have the data available on where the inaccuracies are. All you have to do is connect to the server and go to google.com if its googe.de for a german server, great its accurate if not then it is not accurate. I simply do not understand why you have an issue with this information being available to users when they choose which servers to connect to.

Well it could be established but there's a higher chance of such a list if you were to make it yourself, I'm sure the staff wouldn't mind pinning it somewhere but I don't think they'll spend time on testing each server to write it down and like zhang said google have their own database it's hard to see if anything changes for a specific server without testing which would take resources that the majority of the users would probably prefer being spent on improving and finding servers to add to their portfolio.

Benetnasch is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Norway (no), but physically it's in Sweden (se).
Rastaban is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Norway (no), but physically it's in Sweden (se).
Serpentis is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Norway (no), but physically it's in Sweden (se).
Zaniah is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Norway (no), but physically it's in Sweden (se).
Pherkad is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Finland (fi), but physically it's in Sweden (se).
Persei is detected by maxmind/ipleak in the Netherlands (nl), but physically it's in the USA (us).
Tegmen is detected by maxmind/ipleak as in the Seychelles (sc), but physically it's in Canada (ca).
Virginis is detected by maxmind/ipleak as Proxy/Anonymous, but physically it's in Switzerland (ch).

We have monitoring tools that report such incongruence between MaxMind and physical locations. We could make some real time view on status pages if it can be interesting.

We are doing our best to correct this kind of issue, but honestly it's out of our control.

@zhang888: Google Maps API as far as I understand doesn't have public IP geolocation services.
If it's possible to query Google about how/where an IP address is geolocated, we can make the aforementioned chart list automatic and in realtime.

Kind regards,

Clodo

Benetnasch is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Norway (no), but physically it's in Sweden (se).

Rastaban is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Norway (no), but physically it's in Sweden (se).

Serpentis is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Norway (no), but physically it's in Sweden (se).

Zaniah is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Norway (no), but physically it's in Sweden (se).

Pherkad is detected by maxmind/ipleak in Finland (fi), but physically it's in Sweden (se).

Persei is detected by maxmind/ipleak in the Netherlands (nl), but physically it's in the USA (us).

Tegmen is detected by maxmind/ipleak as in the Seychelles (sc), but physically it's in Canada (ca).

Virginis is detected by maxmind/ipleak as Proxy/Anonymous, but physically it's in Switzerland (ch).

We have monitoring tools that report such incongruence between MaxMind and physical locations. We could make some real time view on status pages if it can be interesting.

We are doing our best to correct this kind of issue, but honestly it's out of our control.

@zhang888: Google Maps API as far as I understand doesn't have public IP geolocation services.

If it's possible to query Google about how/where an IP address is geolocated, we can make the aforementioned chart list automatic and in realtime.

Kind regards,

Clodo

That would be a great help, Staff. The part thats frustrating is that i cannot view these inconsistencies before i connect to a server so it would be excellent if the information was made available on the Status page.

Thanks, M3CHWARRI0R935

Kind regards,

Clodo

At the moment Maxmind corrected all issues regarding all SE servers, and their online demo tool shows them all in SE:

https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

This should apply to all "KUSTBANDET-AIRVPN-NETWORK" netname, so no changes are expected there with Maxmind.

I forgot about Persei being from RIPE and until now geolocated to NL. So it means Tegmen and Persei are wrong.

Proxy/Anonymous is a special "zone" in Maxmind, called A1, to which some Tor nodes fall as well. Nothing can be done,

entire 46.19.137.0/24 is A1 possibly because of high usage for Tor in the past.

Google does provide IP location services via the Maps API, but I think there are some limits for queries from the same source.

For more queries an developer token is required, as per their docs. So this solution cannot be used as an IPleak data source.